ADVERTISEMENT

Missing student from Brooklyn, IA

Really? Proof? And again you dick, how is this remotely the same? I anxiously await.

Some of you and your attempts at turning this political are f****** stupid and pathetic.
I didn't try to turn this political—I did turn it political. Why? Because I knew that my comment would draw out the politics of who gets empathy/compassion and who doesn't. Obviously this is an awful, awful story. I hope this young woman is found, alive, and able to recover from whatever trauma she is experiencing.

The thread derailed long before my input. This story, and the universal reaction of empathy (benefit of the doubt to those using awkward humor), provoke me to wonder where the lines of empathy/compassion are drawn for people—and, absurdly, how these "lines" indeed are, or have become, political.

I fully expect negative reaction to my input—no problem with that—but don't see why it can't be accompanied by something along the lines of "yes, dick, both situations deserve our empathy and compassion."

Alas, it is once again clear that some people apparently believe that some people simply don't deserve basic human empathy and compassion. This is alarming and I feel worth exploring, even as it may detract from this particular tragic missing person story, even as it may "derail" the thread.

Last edited:
Effing embarrassing you liberals bring up illegal border crossings in this thread
Only one liberal brought it up. Me.

Who we see as fellow human beings, worthy of baseline levels of human empathy and compassion, is definitely topical (as you so efficiently demonstrate).

The response I hoped to get from my initial post in this thread? Something along the lines of, "Hey, prick, yep both situations are awful. Duh. Happy?"

Alas, mostly what I'm getting is a defensive reaction. This is telling.

I hope this young woman is okay.

Really? Proof? And again you dick, how is this remotely the same? I anxiously await.

Some of you and your attempts at turning this political are f****** stupid and pathetic.
Parents never see their kid again. If you can't see the similarities you're not looking.

Only one liberal brought it up. Me.

Who we see as fellow human beings, worthy of baseline levels of human empathy and compassion, is definitely topical (as you so efficiently demonstrate).

The response I hoped to get from my initial post in this thread? Something along the lines of, "Hey, prick, yep both situations are awful. Duh. Happy?"

Alas, mostly what I'm getting is a defensive reaction. This is telling.

I hope this young woman is okay.
You brought it up, but I have no problem in carrying the baton. A lost child is a lost child. And kidnapping is kidnapping. For some to claim compassion over this Iowan girl but show none for a Guatemalan girl only proves their hypocritical viewing of the situation.

As usual the facts are getting in your way. This has been

They are insufferable.
Speaking of facts, we have no idea if she was murdered. That's an assumption on your part. What we do know is that her parents have no idea where she is. Exactly like thousands of parents were put through under Trump.

Tell that to the parent that doesn’t know who took their kid, how they died, or if they are alive and being tortured.
While the two are similar they are most definitely not the same.

Tell that to the parent that doesn’t know who took their kid, how they died, or if they are alive and being tortured.
While the two are similar they are most definitely not the same.
Nobody claimed they were exactly the same. Straw man argument.

You brought it up, but I have no problem in carrying the baton. A lost child is a lost child. And kidnapping is kidnapping. For some to claim compassion over this Iowan girl but show none for a Guatemalan girl only proves their hypocritical viewing of the situation.
That's fine. I'm not interested in explicitly charging anybody with hypocrisy, though. I simply wanted to maybe provoke some thought regarding where people's lines for human empathy and compassion might be drawn.

People will react defensively, but I don't intend to encourage a defensive reaction.

That's fine. I'm not interested in explicitly charging anybody with hypocrisy, though. I simply wanted to maybe provoke some thought regarding where people's lines for human empathy and compassion might be drawn.

People will react defensively, but I don't intend to encourage a defensive reaction.
I'd categorize it as hypocritical. It's the very definition of hypocritical. To worry about this Brooklyn girl, who should be worried over, she is likely in a lot of trouble and my heart goes out to her family, I hope they can find peace soon, while cheering on the kidnapping of thousands of kids along the border, is an exercise if contradiction.

Most posters aren't taking this position. So I'm not addressing them. But some are. Some, just weeks ago, told us that the border kids deserved to be torn away from their parents. To me, I just don't get that mentality.

Reactions: Moral and Rudolph
You did - you stated this situation is "exactly like" . . .

I never said the two situations, overall, were exactly I alike. Clearly they are not. I said that, specifically, not knowing where their kids were would the same. In both situations, they have no idea where they are, how they're doing, or if they will ever be reunited again.

OR...welcome to a day and age where way too many people have no compassion or empathy for others, any sense of dignity or right or wrong and everything is about the entertainment value to them. They are so self absorbed that they cannot even process what it means to be mature and respectful towards others, especially in stressful times.

Yes, it is evident on the internet, but it is a revelation of your true character...as in not having one.
VERY well said ... Very well said ...

WTF are you even talking about? My God, someone take your smart phone away.

according to the fbi there are over 650k missing people, over 450k of them are under 18. i had no idea.

consider we have 326 million people here, that implies 0.2% of all of the US population is missing? 1 in 500 people are missing?

Crazy. I would have guessed a couple thousand.
Yeah I looked it up, too. Was surprised at what I found. Awful. I made a note to myself to investigate this from the demand standpoint. I'm wondering how close to reality the Taken movies are. If those movies accurately depict the demand side… fvck.

Reactions: Moral and dgordo
Nobody claimed they were exactly the same. Straw man argument.
You said a “lost child is a lost child” “kidnapping is kidnapping”. It’s not a straw man it’s what you said.

They are not the same not even close. What trump is doing is disgusting and vile but nowhere near the same thing as having your child abducted.

Reactions: 3boysmom
there is an emotional firewall between some of those people and the parents and children that have been separated by the government.

Maybe interesting to the sub 80 IQ crowd, which seems to be 75% of the far leftist posters on this board.

NEWSFLASH - If you commit a crime and go to jail you will be separated from your children and you, not society, is who's responsible for that sad situation. The only firewall at play here is the one between your brain the ability to understand logic at a 7th grade level.

apparently, i know, it seems like it has to be wrong.

I suppose many of these are "homeless" people who simply wander from place to place, with no reason to be in touch with anybody. Then again, you'd think their families would sort of know they're still alive and just making incredibly odd choices, wherever they are.

Some might be people who are in the witness protection program perhaps?

Some might have simply left the country and illegally immigrated elsewhere?

Some are surely dead, kidnapped, etc. I am guessing this is less than 50,000 of the total.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
@Rudolph
Yet there is an emotional firewall between some of those people and the parents and children that have been separated by the government.
Also it is 2016 so lrn2gif.

Maybe interesting to the sub 80 IQ crowd, which seems to be 75% of the far leftist posters on this board.

NEWSFLASH - If you commit a crime and go to jail you will be separated from your children and you, not society, is who's responsible for that sad situation. The only firewall at play here is the one between your brain the ability to understand logic at a 7th grade level.
Bot Life.

Reactions: Moral and JWolf74
Yeah I looked it up, too. Was surprised at what I found. Awful. I made a note to myself to investigate this from the demand standpoint. I'm wondering how close to reality the Taken movies are. If those movies accurately depict the demand side… fvck.

Look into human trafficking. It's not uncommon at all.

I’m sad to say this thread is no longer a reliable source of information on this topic. It wasn’t terribly reliable to begin with, but now it’s completely useless.

Yah the usuals highjacked it

It’s crazy that she vanished without a trace. You have to think the abductor has to know she was at this place alone. I guess there was no signs of struggle at all which makes you wonder if she might know the abductor? Left her wallet but took her phone that has no battery anymore? Lots of questions about this house she stayed at.

La Porte City is still reeling over the autistic boy that vanished. I only hope they find her alive and well or has some good evidence that can open this missing persons case up.

I suppose many of these are "homeless" people who simply wander from place to place, with no reason to be in touch with anybody. Then again, you'd think their families would sort of know they're still alive and just making incredibly odd choices, wherever they are.

Some might be people who are in the witness protection program perhaps?

Some might have simply left the country and illegally immigrated elsewhere?

Some are surely dead, kidnapped, etc. I am guessing this is less than 50,000 of the total.

I think people stay on the missing list until accounted for. There could be 60 years of missing people included in that figure. I'm positive Johnnie Gosch and Eugene Martin are considered missing.

"The first 12-24 hours are the most critical in an active missing persons investigation," Amy Dobbs, an investigator with the Knox County Sheriff's Office, told USA TODAY Network. "The longer it takes for a case to be reported and become an active investigation, the less likely a positive outcome will occur."

For children, the first three hours are especially critical because 76% of abducted children who are killed die within that time frame, according to a 2006 study by the Washington State Attorney General's Office.

Between the teen from Laporte city and now this. Some sick person is roaming around the state.

Just crazy two small towns affected. I hope they find both of them. Prayers to the families involved.

Between the teen from Laporte city and now this. Some sick person is roaming around the state.

Just crazy two small towns affected. I hope they find both of them. Prayers to the families involved.

It would be far fetched to connect the two but Brooklyn is only like 45 mins away from LPC

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Take this FWIW, but I spoke to an acquaintance of hers this morning and was told they apparently called off the ground search. This person said she was told that usually means they have a pretty good lead. Don't know if this is old news, or how accurate it is. The acquaintance is a very trustworthy person, so I have no reason to doubt anything said. Sad, sad situation for everyone involved.

Take this FWIW, but I spoke to an acquaintance of hers this morning and was told they apparently called off the ground search. This person said she was told that usually means they have a pretty good lead. Don't know if this is old news, or how accurate it is. The acquaintance is a very trustworthy person, so I have no reason to doubt anything said. Sad, sad situation for everyone involved.

I got an alert from kwwl this weekend that they called off the ground search.

Hopefully it is a good lead and she is found safe and sound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT