ADVERTISEMENT

Missing student from Brooklyn, IA

it won't let me. I tell it to change it in the settings and it lets me type in another page address and I click on "use it as homepage" or whatever, then it goes back to default with msn. I used to always have startpage or hrot as my homepage but this all happened last year when I finally went to windows seven. See last year I bought seven at best buy. I had put in a new direct digital drive instead of a disk drive and I had to buy windows and I bought seven at best buy and it will only let you use msn built in

Have you actually gone into the settings for the browser to change the homepage?

Something tells me to focus a lot on the boyfriend in this one. Hundreds of speculative theories could apply, but something doesn't feel right about his explanation of the snapchat thing.

Allegedly he was in Dubuque for work when he got the snapchat.

Something tells me to focus a lot on the boyfriend in this one. Hundreds of speculative theories could apply, but something doesn't feel right about his explanation of the snapchat thing.
he would have to be the main suspect unless we start seeing more of these types of things and there is a serial thing happening

I guess if you buy ten at best buy msn is built in or something.

I just bought a new laptop this weekend with Windows 10. I have a MIcrosoft News start page for the Edge browser, but I was able to change it to open to Google upon opening just now.

Oh, I'm sure.

I'm also curious how long her phone stayed on/charged. They should be able to establish physical whereabouts up to a certain point. I remember how much they were able to put together in the Aaron Hernandez case simply by pulling GPS tracking data on his and his posses' cell phones.

Reactions: Wendy79
I'm also curious how long her phone stayed on/charged. They should be able to establish physical whereabouts up to a certain point. I remember how much they were able to put together in the Aaron Hernandez case simply by pulling GPS tracking data on his and his posses' cell phones.
I’ve never owned a Fitbit so I don’t know how they work exactly. But if she was jogging and wearing one would they be able to get any location data from cloud storage? Or does it only save the data if/when she completes the workout and manually saves it?

I’ve never owned a Fitbit so I don’t know how they work exactly. But if she was jogging and wearing one would they be able to get any location data from cloud storage? Or does it only save the data if/when she completes the workout and manually saves it?

It depends on the model, but yes, it would theoretically be available. Some models can sync with the cloud on their own, some sync with the phone, etc. Just depends on what she had and what her habits were. Given her age, I think the phone would be the most likely thing to be with her at all times, especially since she may have sent a snap at 10 pm while dog-sitting (I assume LEOs have looked at this to...who was she sitting for?). The dog sitting may well explain why her red shirt is missing. If she was sitting and staying over, she'd have next day's clothes with her.....though her car was still back at her residence, so that would imply that she was dogsitting pretty nearby.

It's a sad story, but the speculation is hard because there's so much easy info LEO likely already has that is just missing here.

Lots of sickos out there and I am anti death penalty but these people deserve a long and painful death.

It really makes me wonder how families get through this stuff. The wife (pic in another thread), toddler and I went to a splash park a couple weekends ago. Normally, the one we go to isn’t very busy, but this day, it was nuts. There were three big party groups and then all the other random people. We were both watching our daughter pretty closely as she was running from here to there and typically we have her flanked. I don’t know what happened, but I got distracted for just a few seconds and when I turned around, I didn’t see either one of them anywhere. It was a pretty harmless situation, but I could still feel my anxiety and panic building until I finally saw them after a minute or two.

Highly unlikely. She comes from a very good family who are very close. I know her entire family well (do not know her). My understanding is she is a very responsible good girl.

She’s a sophomore to be at iowa. I am not speculating on this girl at all, but it would hardly be unprecedented for a responsible good girl to come home from her freshman year with a raging coke habit.

She’s a sophomore to be at iowa. I am not speculating on this girl at all, but it would hardly be unprecedented for a responsible good girl to come home from her freshman year with a raging coke habit.
they have coke at iowa? seems like it would be mary jane and maybe meth

Maybe not unprecedented, but pretty damn rare... so I'd say that's unlikely.

I'm just trying to think of any situation where she could have ended up on the wrong side of a crazy person - whether that crazy person is a boyfriend (or ex- of want of bee boyfriend), a drug dealer, or most likely just an unknown/random crazy person.

I can't imagine she rolled an ankle or tore an ACL and is stuck immobile in a ditch somewhere?

It really makes me wonder how families get through this stuff. The wife (pic in another thread), toddler and I went to a splash park a couple weekends ago. Normally, the one we go to isn’t very busy, but this day, it was nuts. There were three big party groups and then all the other random people. We were both watching our daughter pretty closely as she was running from here to there and typically we have her flanked. I don’t know what happened, but I got distracted for just a few seconds and when I turned around, I didn’t see either one of them anywhere. It was a pretty harmless situation, but I could still feel my anxiety and panic building until I finally saw them after a minute or two.

Minority Report. I have kids and we go to the pool a lot. That always stuck with me.

Reactions: MotorBoater
Maybe not unprecedented, but pretty damn rare... so I'd say that's unlikely.

I'm just trying to think of any situation where she could have ended up on the wrong side of a crazy person - whether that crazy person is a boyfriend (or ex- of want of bee boyfriend), a drug dealer, or most likely just an unknown/random crazy person.

I can't imagine she rolled an ankle or tore an ACL and is stuck immobile in a ditch somewhere?
I watch a lot of shows and documentaries on serial killers who drive semi trucks across the country. it has happened a lot over the years. brooklyn is close to I-80 if I recall correctly. the other scenario is somebody in the neighborhood where she was dog sitting is a perv. this one seems more likely.

the other scenario is somebody in the neighborhood where she was dog sitting is a perv. this one seems more likely.

Only thing about that is these are the types that probably wouldn't sh1t where they eat. Or at least they should know better. If that's the case, they're going to have this figured out pretty quickly... somebody would eventually say "well, that guy over there in that house is a bit weird..."

Only thing about that is these are the types that probably wouldn't sh1t where they eat. Or at least they should know better. If that's the case, they're going to have this figured out pretty quickly... somebody would eventually say "well, that guy over there in that house is a bit weird..."
ok, the other scenario is route delivery driver along hwy 6. another scenario is a dirty cop or leader in the community. or somebody posing as a cop.

except greg davis. thanks be to god. edit I couldn't help it. back to the issue here: how is the neighborhood where she was dog sitting?

On the very edge of Brooklyn on the West side (if it is the house that I have been told it is by reliable people who are from there). REC Electric building on the East side of the house and 2 houses pretty close to the West. Corn Fields to the South and North. No issues there. I could see that house from where I grew up and mowed the person who lived there's lawn for a few years as a kid. That person has since passed.

On the very edge of Brooklyn on the West side (if it is the house that I have been told it is by reliable people who are from there). REC Electric building on the East side of the house and 2 houses pretty close to the West. Corn Fields to the South and North. No issues there. I could see that house from where I grew up and mowed the person who lived there's lawn for a few years as a kid. That person has since passed.
You have to think the electric company has security cameras that caught something. Also traffic cameras need to pull the license plates on every conversion van going down I80 that day. I wonder how quickly they can do that? Like if they log every license plate every day and at any point can run a pivot table with demographic targets and make/models in a matter of minutes.

Someone mentioned they called off the ground search awfully quick. I think they searched for the kid from La Porte City for a couple weeks - That tells me they know something.........

Reactions: BrunoMars420
You have to think the electric company has security cameras that caught something. Also traffic cameras need to pull the license plates on every conversion van going down I80 that day. I wonder how quickly they can do that? Like if they log every license plate every day and at any point can run a pivot table with demographic targets and make/models in a matter of minutes.

The REC Electric building is a little ways off the main road and not sure if they have cameras. That parking lot would be a possible place where you would park to approach that house without being seen very well though. I think there may be a possibility that whomever approached that house (if they did) would have parked there or waited there for her to get home. That said, it is just speculation, but something that would make sense. I do not want it to seem like I have any inside info on the situation. I don't. Just speculation.

how to change the homepage on ten, which was purchased from best buy -you want me to use a different browser I see.

Windows 10? So you are using IE or Edge?

Why anyone uses any other browser other than Chrome blows my mind.......but to each his own.

ok, the other scenario is route delivery driver along hwy 6. another scenario is a dirty cop or leader in the community. or somebody posing as a cop.

JFC. Another scenario is that she built her own time machine and is in 1842. Another scenario is that she was abducted by aliens. Yet another scenario is that a cop that was actually an alien with a time machine that just wanted to take her out to dinner in the year 5085. OiT gonna OiT.

The stats for finding her alive can't be good when she has been missing for so long without a trace. With today's technology & investigative tools, it makes you wonder how hard it is to disappear like this. Maybe it's not that hard after all, which is a very scary thougth. It just seems like we all have a phone or a device on us all the time and those devices have a GPS that knows where you are. Such a weird, strange, scary story.

Any who...This is the AP story (at end of post) that ran today in the St Paul paper; note the timeline that they have:

* Tibbetts was staying at her boyfriend’s home at the time of her disappearance. She was there to watch his dogs because he had a construction job about 100 miles northeast in Dubuque

* A neighbor reported seeing Tibbetts going for a jog last Wednesday evening.

* The boyfriend, Dalton Jack, told the station he received a Snapchat photo from Tibbetts late Wednesday night, after she would have returned to the home from her jog.

* She was reported missing Thursday when she didn’t show up for work.

Also, this line of the story gave me chills: ...officials have little to go on, but they’re “leaning more and more toward something happening to her against her will.”

BROOKLYN, Iowa (AP) — State and federal agents are investigating the disappearance of a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who has been missing for nearly a week from her hometown in eastern Iowa.

Volunteer searches for Mollie Tibbetts, of Brooklyn, were called off this week as the FBI and state investigators took over, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation spokesman Mitch Mortvedt said Tuesday.

“We’re still asking for the public’s help,” Mortvedt said. “We’d like to get any information we can. The more eyes and ears we have, the better.”

Mortvedt said officials have little to go on, but they’re “leaning more and more toward something happening to her against her will.”

Television station KCRG reported Tibbetts was staying at her boyfriend’s home at the time of her disappearance. She was there to watch his dogs because he had a construction job about 100 miles northeast in Dubuque. A neighbor reported seeing Tibbetts going for a jog last Wednesday evening.

The boyfriend, Dalton Jack, told the station he received a Snapchat photo from Tibbetts late Wednesday night, after she would have returned to the home from her jog.

She was reported missing Thursday when she didn’t show up for work.

Mortvedt said FBI and Iowa investigators are concentrating on areas around Brooklyn that Tibbetts has known to have gone to in the past.

The FBI is also using an array of computer forensics — such as studying online history and cellphone app usage — in an effort to pinpoint where she might be, he said.

“This could shake out a bunch of different ways,” Mortvedt said. “We are hoping and praying for the best outcome.”

Dozens of volunteers in the town of about 1,500 had been searching fields around her house and the house where she was staying. They also blanketed the area with missing posters, T-shirts and billboard pleas for help in finding Tibbetts.

Tibbetts’ aunt, Kim Calderwood of Brooklyn, told the Des Moines Register that Tibbetts’ family is frustrated by the lack of progress in the search.

“We’re racking our brains, thinking what can we think of to tell the investigators,” she said. “It’s the worst thing . to want to fix something you can’t fix.”

ADVERTISEMENT