ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri Public School Parent discovers lesson plans designed to be hidden from parents.

abby97

HR Heisman
Sep 16, 2010

Missouri mother says son's school was told to hide race-based curriculum from parents​

Administrator reportedly suggested principals create fake curriculum to send to parents​

The Daily Signal posted the contents of the memo: "This doesn’t mean throw out the lesson and find a new one. Just pull the resource off Canvas so parents cannot see it … Keep teaching! Just don’t make everything visible on Canvas. This is not being deceitful. This is just doing what you have done for years. Prior to the pandemic you didn’t send everything home or have it available. You taught in your classroom and things were peachy keen. We are going old-school," the memo stated.

For teachers on this board, do find this acceptable?

• Haha
Reactions: Chishawk1425

Missouri mother says son's school was told to hide race-based curriculum from parents​

Administrator reportedly suggested principals create fake curriculum to send to parents​

The Daily Signal posted the contents of the memo: "This doesn’t mean throw out the lesson and find a new one. Just pull the resource off Canvas so parents cannot see it … Keep teaching! Just don’t make everything visible on Canvas. This is not being deceitful. This is just doing what you have done for years. Prior to the pandemic you didn’t send everything home or have it available. You taught in your classroom and things were peachy keen. We are going old-school," the memo stated.

For teachers on this board, do find this acceptable?
The Daily Signal

The Daily Signal
The media bias/fact check site that I usually use says that Daily Signal has a right bias, but is mostly factual (lowered because of their position on climate change).

I guess, for me, if you don't want parents to see/know that you're teaching it, maybe you shouldn't be teaching it.

The media bias/fact check site that I usually use says that Daily Signal has a right bias, but is mostly factual (lowered because of their position on climate change).

I guess, for me, if you don't want parents to see/know that you're teaching it, maybe you shouldn't be teaching it.
Strongly biased towards alt right shit.

I don’t know the Missouri standards, so I cannot verify. But it’s very possible they have to teach it. And that it’s no big deal. But some parents are racist idiots who will try to make it a big deal.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Strongly biased towards alt right shit.
What is alt right about this? A parent of a student stumbled across an email sent to the teachers telling them to hide the curriculum they were teaching. How is that ok? I'm sure a left leaning publication wouldn't want this story out so why would they print it? Of course a publication who disagrees with the policy and who doesn't want parents circumvented when it comes to what is being taught to their children would be the only one to print it. That doesn't make what the school district was doing okay.

I don’t know the Missouri standards, so I cannot verify. But it’s very possible they have to teach it. And that it’s no big deal. But some parents are racist idiots who will try to make it a big deal.
There was foul language, racial stereotypes, sexual situations, not just race bating. Read the article before you start defending the school district. Have you ever thought about what might being taught to your children that you would find offensive or inappropriate? Think about it. The schools are supposed to work for the parents not the other way around.

This is so stupid. What we need is more prayer in our schools. Hours & hours of praying to the bearded guy in the sky. He will listen.

The schools are supposed to work for the parents not the other way around.

No they’re not. Public schools work for the government. They teach what the state dictates will make the best citizens and employees to serve the local community.

If parents don’t like it, they can opt out.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
No they’re not. Public schools work for the government. They teach what the state dictates will make the best citizens and employees to serve the local community.

Wow, so the government is a private organization?

Mizzery is known as a hotbed of leftist politics....everyone KNOWS that!

God knows, if I was a communist aggitator looking to start an uprising, I would be centering my efforts in Mizzery! I mean. Mizzery is the home of that communist sympathizer Harry Truman.

Wow, so the government is a private organization?

No, but schools don’t exist to babysit your kid and teach them the things you want them to be taught.

Why does the government pay to educate kids? Why do they partly fund universities? It’s because there are benefits for the state/county/city.

Uh....they're employed by government. They and the government work for the people.

At least they're supposed to.....and transparency is supposed to be important.

No, but schools don’t exist to babysit your kid and teach them the things you want them to be taught.

Why does the government pay to educate kids? Why do they partly fund universities? It’s because there are benefits for the state/county/city.
The people actually pay for it by paying taxes and such.

Uh....they're employed by government. They and the government work for the people.

At least they're supposed to.....and transparency is supposed to be important.

cool. So if I don’t want my kid to learn world history who do I talk to?

So you are ok with private schools

cool. So if I don’t want my kid to learn world history who do I talk to?
In this case it was the staff hiding what they were teaching.....that should always be transparent. If you don't like what they're teaching you can voice your opinion or take your kid out.

It's about transparency ping.

I know. And I’m being intentionally obtuse as you know.

I don’t disagree that we should have more government transparency. But this is one of the less egregious violations and a weird one to get so outraged over, IMO.

I’d be much more concerned that my kid is going to school with so many others who have parents who think schools shouldn’t talk about race than I would having an administrator trying to protect a teacher from taking a bunch of crap they don’t deserve.

I know. And I’m being intentionally obtuse as you know.

I don’t disagree that we should have more government transparency. But this is one of the less egregious violations and a weird one to get so outraged over, IMO.

I’d be much more concerned that my kid is going to school with so many others who have parents who think schools shouldn’t talk about race than I would having an administrator trying to protect a teacher from taking a bunch of crap they don’t deserve.
There's talking about race and then there's critical race theory. Not a fan of critical race theory type stuff honestly...

These are the Missouri social studies standards:

Standards are the goals for each student, curriculum is the method used to reach the goals. Standards are state mandated while curriculum is under local control. The memo sounds bad, but I think it's just in response to the current anger over "critical race theory." The teachers have likely been teaching about slavery and civil rights struggles forever, but now anything that puts white people in a negative light has been deemed not appropriate by a segment of the population.

The Literacy Speech Coordinator is just pointing out how an activity that the teachers have been doing for years may now be seen by some parents as "pushing an agenda,” “pushing Critical Race Theory ,” “making white kids feel bad about their privilege,” “stereotyping,” “teaching kids to be social activists,” and "teaching kids to be democratic thinkers and activists.” She is not saying that is what the school is doing, she is just pointing out that some people will believe these activities are doing these things.

Seriously, prior to the pandemic and online learning were any HROT parents checking their child's teacher's lesson plans daily? We used to have to post them online every week, but I doubt very many parents actually looked at them unless they were checking for homework assignments.

Reactions: ping72

Dumbest post of the year.

The entire premise of this scenario is ridiculous because any teacher who is dumb enough to think that kids can shut their mouths for 5 seconds about anything won't be in the profession for very long.

If I had to teach the material and I was not confident in the evidence to support it, I would present it as a debate topic. I'd probably have students to create a presentation of some sort making them support or refute various aspects of the curriculum. That way, it doesn't matter how accurate the curriculum is. The students can figure it out for themselves and they can be evaluated on how well they support their claims. For the above, I'd have to see it in more detail to get more specific than that.

It's curious that the actual memo isn't shown in the article anywhere. Maybe that is exactly what it says but it would be easier to believe if I could see it with my own eyes.

As if that would make any difference to you. You'd simply move on to your next point.

It's curious that the actual memo isn't shown in the article anywhere. Maybe that is exactly what it says but it would be easier to believe if I could see it with my own eyes.

Indeed. Things can be "factual", but they can leave lots of key facts out to make things look much differently than they really are.

Reactions: hawkbirch
They were probably teaching them in Social Studies class about Islam and Hinduism....

The HORROR!!!

I do think that transparency is critical. If they put the curriculum out there and the parents have a problem, then that's a problem between the parents and school district/state/whomever. If the school admin tells the teachers to hide it, then regardless of the legitimacy of the parents' problems with it, it becomes (and is rightly framed as) a cover-up by people who feel they should be hiding something.

Then if parents opt out they should get the money the school got to teach heir kid as they choose (or send them to private school)

ADVERTISEMENT