ADVERTISEMENT

Mistake Cancelling Big Ten Tournament

This is just data.....

1 million divided by 330 million is what %?

1 million divided by 7.7 billion is what %?

What will the cost of hysteria that collapses life as we know it be ?

3 million of our loved ones die in American every year. That’s 8219 deaths per day in this country.

CDC causes of death
  • Heart disease: 647,457
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

• Data for United States in 2018
    • Number of deaths: 2,839,205
    • Death rate: 867.8 deaths per 100,000 population
    • Life expectancy: 78.7 years
    • Infant Mortality rate: 5.66 deaths per 1,000 live births

Two questions:

(1) Do you believe the social distancing policies saves lives? If you don't buy into that, then any discussion of the economic impact really doesn't matter, because if you truly believe there's no way to stop the spread of the virus, then yeah, we should all just go on with life as usual.

(2) Have you seen a study/estimate that isolates the economic cost of just the social distancing measures being implemented? As I said before, you need to isolate the cost of the "hysteria" which I assume you mean to describe the social distancing policies. If we simply went about life business as usual, we'd still be seeing a huge economic cost due to both the loss of life and also the amount of people that get sick and potentially miss weeks of work. So what is the marginal economic cost to cancelling social gatherings of more than 50 people?

Finally, I think you're being hyperbolic describing social distancing as collapsing life as we know it. Yes, not having sports sucks. Yes, it's not as easy for me to do my job at home. Yes, I'd like to go out to bars, restaurants, movies, and travel over the next few weeks. Yes, there's a real economic cost for many that earn income from those events and hopefully we step up and help those who are hurt economically by this. However, avoiding social gathering events and not traveling for a few weeks or even months is not collapsing life as we know it. If the measures were more extreme, for example if we're told nobody could work - that could collapse life as we know it if food, medicine, and essential services are shut down and everyone needs to take care of themselves. But that is not what is happening.

Reactions: HFan1981
It's obvious from the arguments on here that the coronavirus has become a political issue. Only one idiot could have made it so and even he is backing off. How about we let the medical experts make the call on this and do everything possible to protect the health of our nation and not someone solely interested in the political and financial aspects of the virus.

sk030820dAPR-1.jpg

Reactions: mstp1992
From reports, the virus does not attack young people. Although they needed to do was put out a warning that come at your own risk if you over 70. Cancelling everything puts out a bad message to young people, when there is risk hide under a closet. Booked a cruise and the cruise line said if you are 70 and over you needed permission to board the cruise. Too bad our sport establishments did not use the same common sense as the cruise line, come at your own risk which is minimal based on the facts. Feel sorry for Garza and our players prevented from playing.
Indeed. They should've played in a sanitized bubble.

I'd watch......

From reports, the virus does not attack young people. Although they needed to do was put out a warning that come at your own risk if you over 70. Cancelling everything puts out a bad message to young people, when there is risk hide under a closet. Booked a cruise and the cruise line said if you are 70 and over you needed permission to board the cruise. Too bad our sport establishments did not use the same common sense as the cruise line, come at your own risk which is minimal based on the facts. Feel sorry for Garza and our players prevented from playing.
Without reading this long thread, I certainly hope you’ve changed your tune as more information is gleaned. If not, we’ll you may help on another regard.

Reactions: mstp1992
If I said that I don't remember, but I always have doubts about Frans recruits.

Its usually a coin flip.
Sometimes you have a short memory. I'll take Tony's high school coach's evaluation of his skills before I do yours. I know Fran sometimes over hypes his recruits. But nevertheless, he finds some under the radar players like CJ, White, JT. Right? How did you feel about CJ when Fran recruited him?

LOL. I hope you enjoyed the cruise;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT