ADVERTISEMENT

MIT: Why shaving dulls even the sharpest of razors

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003
https://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806

Now engineers at MIT have studied the simple act of shaving up close, observing how a razor blade can be damaged as it cuts human hair — a material that is 50 times softer than the blade itself. They found that hair shaving deforms a blade in a way that is more complex than simply wearing down the edge over time. In fact, a single strand of hair can cause the edge of a blade to chip under specific conditions. Once an initial crack forms, the blade is vulnerable to further chipping. As more cracks accumulate around the initial chip, the razor’s edge can quickly dull.

The blade’s microscopic structure plays a key role, the team found. The blade is more prone to chipping if the microstructure of the steel is not uniform. The blade’s approaching angle to a strand of hair and the presence of defects in the steel’s microscopic structure also play a role in initiating cracks.

The team’s findings may also offer clues on how to preserve a blade’s sharpness. For instance, in slicing vegetables, a chef might consider cutting straight down, rather than at an angle. And in designing longer-lasting, more chip-resistant blades, manufacturers might consider making knives from more homogenous materials.

hair-blades-1.gif

hair-blades-2.gif

You're too late
, engineering bros!
Ron figured this out years ago.....solved it with overpriced mineral oil!!!!o_O

So the act of using a razor blade makes it dull?,... I don't think we needed MIT to confirm this for us.

So the act of using a razor blade makes it dull?,... I don't think we needed MIT to confirm this for us.

You sir fail to use revolt. It’s a revolutionary new compound consisting of baby oil and the Colonel’s secret blend of herbs and spices.

Reactions: Joes Place
Anybody try one of those no-blade razors from the late night infomercials ?

Handle has a reservoir of fluid in it and uses some sort of ultrasonic wave. Supposedly the cleanest shave possible.

Anybody try one of those no-blade razors from the late night infomercials ?

Handle has a reservoir of fluid in it and uses some sort of ultrasonic wave. Supposedly the cleanest shave possible.
If I'm awake late at night I'm watching pron not infomercials

ADVERTISEMENT