ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch King a finalist for the color job to replace Podolak

HawksRule73

Scout Team
Mar 10, 2007
That's according to him on the WUW podcast. Apparently there are 3 finalists, but I haven't heard anything on who the other 2 might be. Should have word on who the hire is in the next couple weeks.

That's according to him on the WUW podcast. Apparently there are 3 finalists, but I haven't heard anything on who the other 2 might be. Should have word on who the hire is in the next couple weeks.
not thrilled with this Whydont t they rotate them thru and give each a chamce?

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
That's what the interview process is for.

Not trying to be a Richard here, but, some folks handle things a bit differently when "working without a net". The rotation idea wouldn't be necessarily a bad one, but being behind the mic versus in an interview would be more telling.
Not that being the color guy for Iowa football requires the nerves of a missile man so no biggie, but let each person have a couple games and then decide.

For the color job?

giphy.gif

Not trying to be a Richard here, but, some folks handle things a bit differently when "working without a net". The rotation idea wouldn't be necessarily a bad one, but being behind the mic versus in an interview would be more telling.
Not that being the color guy for Iowa football requires the nerves of a missile man so no biggie, but let each person have a couple games and then decide.
Interesting idea...except:

a. Continuity. Makes it tough for Dolph, spotters and the crew to adapt each week.
b Takes at least half of the season
c. Pretty risky to let the fans hear all 3 guys and then pick someone. No matter who you pick there will be a bunch of people saying "Awww, they picked the wrong guy. I liked ----- better".

Last edited:
If there really are three finalist, I wouldn't mind each of them get four games this Fall in rotation.
If there really are three finalist, I wouldn't mind each of them get four games this Fall in rotation.
Just make a decision based on any past performance and the current interview format. Having all three "tryout" is a version of a participation trophy. One will be happy and the other two not so much. That is what applying for a job is all about.

not thrilled with this Whydont t they rotate them thru and give each a chamce?
I would think when any person is trying to get a job like this, especially with not much previous experience and a lot of tape of them in action, that the hiring staff would have a guy like King watch a bunch of hawk games and actually do his analysis of those games.

They could take past Iowa games with Dolph's audio paired with the game video and make Eddie's comments dead air and then see what King and others would say.

Anyone know what the job pays? I’m genuinely curious.
I did a deep dive on google and couldn’t find anything. Pretty sure Iowa releases employee pay/salary I could be wrong and don’t find him. Guess 100-150k? Could be way off

Reactions: SolarHawk
I did a deep dive on google and couldn’t find anything. Pretty sure Iowa releases employee pay/salary I could be wrong and don’t find him. Guess 100-150k? Could be way off
Radio is a dying medium. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see the salary in the 30-50k range, especially with no industry experience.

Reactions: BDE420
Sure but any salary is not public domain.
When did this become about the salary?

I've only met Nate once, He was the leader of a 4-some playing behind my group at a local golf course maybe 15 years ago. They were drunk and teed off into our group a couple of holes. When we waited for them to have a 'discussion', Nate came forward and diffused the situation with apologies, good humor and a few free beers. He couldn't have been nicer. Nate the Great!

I've only met Nate once, He was the leader of a 4-some playing behind my group at a local golf course maybe 15 years ago. They were drunk and teed off into our group a couple of holes. When we waited for them to have a 'discussion', Nate came forward and diffused the situation with apologies, good humor and a few free beers. He couldn't have been nicer. Nate the Great!
Maybe your group was playing too slow. I've been known to hit into a group from time to time that was slow playing. 😀

Someone asked what someone would be paid for such a position. I said since not a U employee it would not be in the public domain.

Reactions: Speedway1
Maybe your group was playing too slow. I've been known to hit into a group from time to time that was slow playing. 😀
Go ahead and make it about something I might have done to justify others bad behavior. Very en vogue with the current generation. Nate apologized for his friends impatience. They had dinner and babes on tap for later that day, Still not a legit excuse to tee off into group ahead.

Amateur golf definitely has more than its share of a-holes. (not pointing at you) It's amusing to watch some guys dress up like they're John Daly and act as if they're just a stroke or two from playing in a major.

I'm only a casual golfer (don't immediately spit out an exaggerated handicap anytime someone asks if I play) but I've run into more than my share of douche bag bros on and around the course...and it's on the increase.

Last edited:
People like you pisses me off. There are usually some golfers in front of the golfers that you're hitting into slowing them down too. They can't go any faster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT