ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell Mesenbrink transfer

The Vak

HB All-American
Jan 25, 2002
As many posited, Mesenbrink is apparently leaving Cal Baptist fairly quickly after getting there. Not sure on the reasoning, but he was a pretty big time recruit and seems to be in a weight range of need. Anybody know if we're in on him? He's an Askren guy, and Askren is pretty obviously not a fan of Iowa or the coaches, but he was a pretty high level recruit, so it seems like a worthy inquiry.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
As many posited, Mesenbrink is apparently leaving Cal Baptist fairly quickly after getting there. Not sure on the reasoning, but he was a pretty big time recruit and seems to be in a weight range of need. Anybody know if we're in on him? He's an Askren guy, and Askren is pretty obviously not a fan of Iowa or the coaches, but he was a pretty high level recruit, so it seems like a worthy inquiry.

He's a 165. So not sure he fits, unless PK moves to 174.

Reactions: psuguy31
I believe he's a 157, though I have no idea if he can hold that. I know he wrestled his two matches this year at 165.

I believe he's a 157, though I have no idea if he can hold that. I know he wrestled his two matches this year at 165.

Yeah. 157 is over. It's why Mizzou actually works out well. I think the weight cut is affecting O'Toole's ability to stay healthy.

Yeah. 157 is over. It's why Mizzou actually works out well. I think the weight cut is affecting O'Toole's ability to stay healthy.
Has he announced he's going to Mizzou? I kind of assumed that's where he'd end up for obvious reasons, but just thought I'd throw it out there. If 157 is in the rearview, so be it.

is o'toole cutting much weight though? he started his true freshman year at 157

He did an interview on WI wrestle Rokfin page. Said Baptist wasn't what he expected. Said he had a 4.0 but left at semester and is in Wisconsin and will train at AWA with Askren. He will enter the portal in March. He's gonna do a few overseas SR level trips. He doesn't talk about his future plans but I would think he uses a Olympic redshirt next year.

Mizzou, UNI, Minnesota, or Wisconsin would be my guesses.
Ben Askren's thoughts on the current Wisconsin leadership are not good, probably even worse than he feels about us, so that may depend on how much sway Askren holds with the kids. Kind of tricky for a high level club in your state to be at odds with the only high level D1 college.

Reactions: el dub
is o'toole cutting much weight though? he started his true freshman year at 157

i'm not sure he's in the "cutting too much weight" category - but I do know the move up to 174 is inevitable. Just extrapolating that its a possibility 174 will happen sooner rather than later due to injury.

and I hope he chills with the randoms in bars - gonna get mono that way. lol

i'm not sure he's in the "cutting too much weight" category - but I do know the move up to 174 is inevitable. Just extrapolating that its a possibility 174 will happen sooner rather than later due to injury.

what's the bars thing in reference to?

and why is 174 inevitable. it doesn't work with his long term freestyle plans

long shot, but he's a do whatever you can to get him type recruit. love the way he projects and is the style i want to see more of in black and gold.

Ben Askren's thoughts on the current Wisconsin leadership are not good, probably even worse than he feels about us, so that may depend on how much sway Askren holds with the kids. Kind of tricky for a high level club in your state to be at odds with the only high level D1 college.
You are absolutely right.

Illinois has recruited AWA well in getting Braeden Scoles. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Mirasola brothers from Wisconsin ended up there as well. I could see them being in on Mesenbrink too.

Doesn't hurt that Askren's own kids have had bad experiences there. Bono is an idiot for alienating the best club in the state. I guess Bono is an idiot for a lot of things - but pissing off Ben and Max Askren is pretty damn high up there.

Askren holds A LOT of sway with his wrestlers. Mainly has to due with the type of coach/philosophy he has. He really cares about the kids actually becoming better people through wrestling and having positive experiences in the sport.

what's the bars thing in reference to?

and why is 174 inevitable. it doesn't work with his long term freestyle plans

Brian Smith had that interview that O'toole, Elam and Elam were out of the scuffle due to injury/illness. But that night a video is posted of him kissing random girls in bars. Just kinda funny.

and 174 is inevitable because he likes lifting. He's gotten bigger and will be 174 after next year for sure. Askren talked about it on FRL

Reactions: js8793
Brian Smith had that interview that O'toole, Elam and Elam were out of the scuffle due to injury/illness. But that night a video is posted of him kissing random girls in bars. Just kinda funny.

and 174 is inevitable because he likes lifting. He's gotten bigger and will be 174 after next year for sure. Askren talked about it on FRL
yeah then i'd be shocked if mesenbrink is anywhere other than mizzou

Best thing Iowa could do is try to build a relationship with the best clubs. Invite them into the room. Invite Askren to show technique at a camp. I don't think the relationship is so bad it couldn't be fixed. He just has some opinions about our staff. I tend to agree with him on a few things and disagree with him on other things.

Checks recruiting rankings…yeah looks like a real struggle.
On paper our class looks awesome, but things aren’t as clear as they used to be. We might lose Nate because his passions changed and I think we’d be lucky to see Kueter on the mat. Which btw is a damn shame. Take those two kids out and we have Arnold and Block. I love both of those guys potential but I’m not sure that would be a ranked 1st class

I would have liked Hunter Garvin and Wyatt Voelker to come here, but there’s a riff between big game and Iowa.

I would have loved Keegan O’Toole and I’d be happy to land Messinbrink but Askreen seems to have a beed with Iowa.

My point is, Iowa is always trying to win National Championships. It’s not wise to have disagreements with any program churning out good wrestlers. I’d love to see an improved relationship with Askren. His club is growing and producing and there’s another stud coming real soon. Aiden Sinclaire.

Unfortunate for UW that their coach is a complete tool.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin and The Vak
On paper our class looks awesome, but things aren’t as clear as they used to be. We might lose Nate because his passions changed and I think we’d be lucky to see Kueter on the mat. Which btw is a damn shame. Take those two kids out and we have Arnold and Block. I love both of those guys potential but I’m not sure that would be a ranked 1st class

I would have liked Hunter Garvin and Wyatt Voelker to come here, but there’s a riff between big game and Iowa.

I would have loved Keegan O’Toole and I’d be happy to land Messinbrink but Askreen seems to have a beed with Iowa.

My point is, Iowa is always trying to win National Championships. It’s not wise to have disagreements with any program churning out good wrestlers. I’d love to see an improved relationship with Askren. His club is growing and producing and there’s another stud coming real soon. Aiden Sinclaire.
Lots of musicality there at Big Game...bet they have some hella 🔥 jam sessions after workouts.

Best thing Iowa could do is try to build a relationship with the best clubs. Invite them into the room. Invite Askren to show technique at a camp. I don't think the relationship is so bad it couldn't be fixed. He just has some opinions about our staff. I tend to agree with him on a few things and disagree with him on other things.
i think the main reason askren doesn't like us is because we are terrible scramblers as a team. it's a philosophical difference. totally different approach to the sport. fixing that approach would be a great two birds, one stone solution imo.

i think the main reason askren doesn't like us is because we are terrible scramblers as a team. it's a philosophical difference. totally different approach to the sport. fixing that approach would be a great two birds, one stone solution imo.
Invite him In for some summer teaching. We really should improve our ability to scramble. It’s so hard, unless you’re a Spencer Lee type, to finish shots cleanly consistently. Embrace the change that needs to happen Iowa.

Nope, that really isn't a factor. It's the OVERRELIANCE on the COLLAR TIES. Too many of Iowa's guys, to be fair its usually when they are wrestling the top 8 or so guys at their respective weight classes, almost always look they they are pushing and pulling the whole time in neutral without creating any offense. Then, once they are basically as tired out themselves as the opponent they were trying to tire out, they almost always get taken down from space.

The "Iowa Style" preached scoring a ton of points by creating a lot of offense. Instead, now most of the guys bog down against the better opponents because they worry so much about controlling that tie and moving their opponent with constant, heavy hand pressure.

Ben has actually been pretty clear on the above, and it is basically the one thing I have to agree with him about when assessing the current Iowa structure. Hell, if they want to still try to be so collar ties dependent, why not start at least using something from the slide-bys/elbow passes/drags series. Everyone has adapted and the hi crotch/fireman's and head trapped single legs(true opportunites to score with them) aren't there like they used to be...

Nope, that really isn't a factor. It's the OVERRELIANCE on the COLLAR TIES. Too many of Iowa's guys, to be fair its usually when they are wrestling the top 8 or so guys at their respective weight classes, almost always look they they are pushing and pulling the whole time in neutral without creating any offense. Then, once they are basically as tired out themselves as the opponent they were trying to tire out, they almost always get taken down from space.

The "Iowa Style" preached scoring a ton of points by creating a lot of offense. Instead, now most of the guys bog down against the better opponents because they worry so much about controlling that tie and moving their opponent with constant, heavy hand pressure.

Ben has actually been pretty clear on the above, and it is basically the one thing I have to agree with him about when assessing the current Iowa structure. Hell, if they want to still try to be so collar ties dependent, why not start at least using something from the slide-bys/elbow passes/drags series. Everyone has adapted and the hi crotch/fireman's and head trapped single legs(true opportunites to score with them) aren't there like they used to be...

collar tie isn't the problem. All of the offense Cael teaches starts with a collar tie. And his wrestlers say the same.

We have 2 big problems. Our practice structure and scrambling. In order to survive a brands practice/season/career, you have to become 100% reliant on hand-fighting. You're not going to be shooting from the outside/creative/scramble for any length of time if the goes are too long. Now I don't know if this has changed at all - but if you're not a level above the guy you wrestle, you're going to rely on beating him in a handfight until he gets tired. And no one gets tired anymore. Other teams have figured out how to be in shape for 7+ minutes.

Scrambling - Our guys have a great fear of being outscrambled when they take a shot, so that's another reason guys spend too much time trying to "tire out" their opponents. So now confidence in attacking is an issue.

It's the thing that scares me about the latest batch of recruits. Especially the Sebolt ones. Inability to scramble, not much on top and suspect on bottom. I do like that the recruiting has expanded (see: Gabe Arnold), but we'll see how that translates.

collar tie isn't the problem. All of the offense Cael teaches starts with a collar tie. And his wrestlers say the same.

We have 2 big problems. Our practice structure and scrambling. In order to survive a brands practice/season/career, you have to become 100% reliant on hand-fighting. You're not going to be shooting from the outside/creative/scramble for any length of time if the goes are too long. Now I don't know if this has changed at all - but if you're not a level above the guy you wrestle, you're going to rely on beating him in a handfight until he gets tired. And no one gets tired anymore. Other teams have figured out how to be in shape for 7+ minutes.

Scrambling - Our guys have a great fear of being outscrambled when they take a shot, so that's another reason guys spend too much time trying to "tire out" their opponents. So now confidence in attacking is an issue.

It's the thing that scares me about the latest batch of recruits. Especially the Sebolt ones. Inability to scramble, not much on top and suspect on bottom. I do like that the recruiting has expanded (see: Gabe Arnold), but we'll see how that translates.
Until iowa gets a non iowa style coach it’ll be the same rinse and repeat. Get a coach those type of wrestlers wanna learn from. No surprise iowa recruits are almost all the same mold.

Reactions: redghost1974

I have never said the collar tie itself was the problem, have I? It's HOW they use it and HOW LOST they look when they don't have it...

Edited to add: Mind you this was more in reference to Askren’s perceptions of Iowa than what would be best for Iowa to improve. When you reference how they practice I do not disagree with you about how that could impact their approach in matches. I also agree that it probably stifles scrambling and I DO agree it sure looks like an area where most Iowa guys are uncomfortable and seem afraid to go past stalemate situations to pursue scrambling advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
I am obviously far away from the Iowa room. How much situational practicing do they do? How much of it starts in “spaghetti” wrestling positions?

When it comes to scrambling, to be really adept, it actually is a very structured process that takes a lot of time, repetition and feel to master. Make no mistake Askren didn’t do it all by instinct. He practiced every nuance of those positions knowing what to do after each tiny position change…

So Brian Smith kissed a bunch of random girls and got mono?

• Haha

You’re conveniently forgetting the #1 recruit in the country. And said “riff” didn’t stop Voelker from making multiple visits. And he wasn’t a top recruit anyway. On par with a guy we got.

Reactions: el dub
You’re conveniently forgetting the #1 recruit in the country. And said “riff” didn’t stop Voelker from making multiple visits. And he wasn’t a top recruit anyway. On par with a guy we got.
I did forget Chittum. I think of this year being his redshirt freshman year. He’s old enough and around the program already. Yea I know he’s technically enrolling next year, but I do expect him to contribute right away. I would assume Arnold and Block will red shirt unless they earn more. That’s my initial thought process right now.

I have a family member that trains at big game. There’s a riff. I’m not sure how deep this riff cuts, but it’s there. Would it sway a kid one direction or another in a tight decision? I’ll feel better if there’s another kid at big game worthy of wrestling at Iowa that Iowa lands.

AWA is the club we need to be doing work on. I believe there is more potential there than most clubs, if not all clubs in the Midwest area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT