ADVERTISEMENT

Mitt Romney: America Is In Denial

TJ8869

HR King
Dec 7, 2006
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...mney-republican-denial-biden-election/661468/

Even as we watch the reservoirs and lakes of the West go dry, we keep watering our lawns, soaking our golf courses, and growing water-thirsty crops.

As inflation mounts and the national debt balloons, progressive politicians vote for ever more spending.

As the ice caps melt and record temperatures make the evening news, we figure that buying a Prius and recycling the boxes from our daily Amazon deliveries will suffice.

When TV news outlets broadcast video after video of people illegally crossing the nation’s southern border, many of us change the channel.

And when a renowned conservative former federal appellate judge testifies that we are already in a war for our democracy and that January 6, 2021, was a genuine constitutional crisis, MAGA loyalists snicker that he speaks slowly and celebrate that most people weren’t watching.

What accounts for the blithe dismissal of potentially cataclysmic threats? The left thinks the right is at fault for ignoring climate change and the attacks on our political system. The right thinks the left is the problem for ignoring illegal immigration and the national debt. But wishful thinking happens across the political spectrum. More and more, we are a nation in denial.

I have witnessed time and again—in myself and in others—a powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case. We don’t need to cut back on watering, because the drought is just part of a cycle that will reverse. With economic growth, the debt will take care of itself. January 6 was a false-flag operation. A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: “I won in a landslide.” Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win.

Bolstering our natural inclination toward wishful thinking are the carefully constructed, prejudice-confirming arguments from the usual gang of sophists, grifters, and truth-deniers. Watching angry commentators on cable news, I’m reminded of H. L. Mencken’s observation: “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

When entire countries fail to confront serious challenges, it doesn't end well. During the past half century, we Americans have lived in a very forgiving time, and seeing the world through rose-colored glasses had limited consequences. The climate was stable, our economy dwarfed the competition, democracy was on the rise, and our military strength made the U.S. the sole global hyperpower. Today, every one of those things has changed. If we continue to ignore the real threats we face, America will inevitably suffer serious consequences.

What clears the scales from the eyes of a nation? Pearl Harbor did. 9/11 did. A crisis can shake the public consciousness. But a crisis may come too late for a course correction that can prevent tragedy. The only cure for wishful thinking is leadership. Winston Churchill emboldened a complacent Britain and rallied the world. Abraham Lincoln held the Union together. Ronald Reagan shook us from our malaise. Lech Wałęsa inaugurated a movement that brought down the Iron Curtain. Martin Luther King Jr. inspired us to “believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality.” And Volodymyr Zelensky’s stunning display of courage—“I need ammunition, not a ride”—showed us what real character looks like.

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth. Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we intently watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality. While we wait, leadership must come from fathers and mothers, teachers and nurses, priests and rabbis, businessmen and businesswomen, journalists and pundits. That will require us all to rise above ourselves—above our grievances and resentments—and grasp the mantle of leadership our country so badly needs.

Good for Mitt, but:

Aside from Reps. Liz Cheney (Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger (Ill.), few Republicans have been as consistent in their condemnation of defeated former president Donald Trump as Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah). In his latest blast, he writes in an op-ed for the Atlantic: “A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it.” That puts it mildly.
Alas, Romney engages in his own brand of disappointing rhetoric by equating right-wing denial on the 2020 election and climate change (he could have added covid-19 and gun violence) with Democrats’ supposed denial about the debt and illegal immigration. Aside from the fact that deficits are projected to fall substantially in 2022 and Democrats have repeatedly offered comprehensive immigration reform, including border security, Romney’s lamentation of both parties smacks of, well, denialism.

Follow Jennifer Rubin's opinionsFollow

Only one party has adopted as its default setting conspiracy theories and disinformation, from carrying water for Russia’s interference in the 2016 election to quack remedies for covid to the “big lie” that the 2020 election was stolen. Only one party rallies its base with resentment, anger and vitriol. And only one party relies on a propagandistic media that shields its base from disagreeable facts.

ADVERTISING

Romney, who voted against cloture for voting rights reform and has yet to condemn the GOP’s systematic assault on honest election administration, has not come out against Republican election deniers on the ballot in the midterms. He gives no indication of concern that the next House speaker could well be the spineless House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who tolerates the most extreme members in his party, including those who sought out pardons for their roles in the Jan. 6 insurrection, and attacks the House Jan. 6 select committee, from which he pulled his Republican members.
Romney would do well to acknowledge that the primary threat to democracy and the belief in objective reality is his own party. To the extent he advocates its return to power and refuses to denounce its most insidious elements, he contributes to the problem. Like too many in the mainstream media, his reflexive retreat to moral equivalence winds up normalizing his own party, thereby disguising its authoritarian impulses.
Romney, like many other “good” Republicans, exaggerates and inflates Democrats’ faults as a means to justifying his continued participation in a malign party. But Romney has another option: to follow the example of his longtime friend, Evan McMullin. The Utah Senate candidate is running as an independent against incumbent Sen. Mike Lee, who eagerly sought to pressure state legislatures to send fake groups of electors. Like McMullin, Romney and like-minded Republicans can start anew. They can make common cause with independents and Democrats on the overriding issue of our time: preservation of democracy. They can refuse to contribute to Republicans’ return to power.

Romney, instead of passively hoping for “a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth,” can help lead a movement that deprives the GOP of supporters who see no alternative to the status quo. As a believer in the free market, surely he understands that if Republicans had to compete for non-MAGA voters, they would either shed some of its worst elements or cede ground to a new, reality-based party.
Perhaps Romney’s op-ed represents his first effort to tiptoe away from a decrepit Republican Party. If so, he should pick up the pace and prepare to support an alternative to the party of Trump. Waiting for the GOP to clean up its act is the worst sort of denial.

That is nice of him to say, but Mitt has fallen short given his potential to lead. He nods to that, but not until he fingered the progressives and Prius drivers of the world as the main culprits.
He did no such thing. Take the article as a whole and not something to nitpick apart.

I would love a chance to let Mitt have a crack at leading this country

I didn't like Romney's attack on Tulsi Gabbard. He accused her of treason for basically repeating something that Victoria Nuland testified to before congress. Such dangerous hyperbole.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Problem Mitt nobody is listening. He needs to give that speech while stripping to get anyone to pay attention.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
That is nice of him to say, but Mitt has fallen short given his potential to lead. He nods to that, but not until he fingered the progressives and Prius drivers of the world as the main culprits.
I understand your feelings and I was inclined to feel the same while reading it - however, had he not scolded the left as well the piece wouldn't have had the chance to be well received by anyone on the right. It's already going to be a tough sell, but unless he throws shade at both sides he's already lost.

He lost me when he didn't include republicans as those who do not care about the debt, especially if it helps them get a nickel more in their pocket. Or who hires those illegals. I was going to vote for him for president once but then he made the mistake of whining about who wasn't paying taxes when his effective tax rate was lower than mine.

Blecccchhh! He votes against pretty much everything I am for so no chance in hell I could vote for him.
"Pretty much everything"?

He voted to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson. He voted to convict Trump during both impeachment trials. He was the first senator in American history to vote against a President from his own party.

Romney's senate votes have aligned with most Democrats 42% of the time. He is almost always the first Republican to cross party lines. If any bill has any bipartisan support at all, it almost always has Romney's support.

I get that he wouldn't be your choice for POTUS, but you guys who consistently slam Romney need to understand that this country needs more people like him. If we had more Romneys and fewer Cruzes this country would be in far better shape.

Last edited:
Honestly this was nice platitudes and all but after reading this over the weekend my primary reaction was what’s your point mitt?
He does a good job diagnosing our serious problems right now. It is refreshing to see someone on the Hill accurately assessing the situation in an even-handed and clear-eyed way. His vague suggestion that someone needs to step up to lead and unify is also on point but not terribly reassuring. Mitt certainly does not appear to be volunteering for the job. But I hope that someone with the requisite skills will do so in the very near future.

Reactions: Aardvark86

He voted to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson. He voted to convict Trump during both impeachment trials. He was the first senator in American history to vote against a President from his own party.

Romney's senate votes have aligned with most Democrats 42% of the time. He is almost always the first Republican to cross party lines. If any bill has any bipartisan support at all, it almost always has Romney's support.

I get that he wouldn't be your choice for POTUS, but you guys who consistently slam Romney need to understand that this country needs more people like him. If we had more Romneys and fewer Cruzes this country would be in far better shape.
Wow! He voted for a highly qualified person. How heroic of him. I'll give him some credit for voting to impeach, he was an outlier. He has been mute for the most part in standing up to the cult.
But, my earlier point stands. He has had a voice and a role to make things better, but he has fallen short. He called out progressives for spending, but didn't call himself out for a massive, unfunded tax cut. He mocks people who choose to drive a Prius for some reason. I was unaware that driving a Prius is some signal. Lots of people have them. I know a Trump loving woman who has one. She hates paying for gasoline. What was the point of that line by Romney? I assume he wrote it out, and thought it over, reviewed it, put it away for a day, reviewed it again, and then went with it. He wasn't riffing.
As a US senator he has a role. Do the work, don't chastise.

Wow! He voted for a highly qualified person. How heroic of him. I'll give him some credit for voting to impeach, he was an outlier. He has been mute for the most part in standing up to the cult.
But, my earlier point stands. He has had a voice and a role to make things better, but he has fallen short. He called out progressives for spending, but didn't call himself out for a massive, unfunded tax cut. He mocks people who choose to drive a Prius for some reason. I was unaware that driving a Prius is some signal. Lots of people have them. I know a Trump loving woman who has one. She hates paying for gasoline. What was the point of that line by Romney? I assume he wrote it out, and thought it over, reviewed it, put it away for a day, reviewed it again, and then went with it. He wasn't riffing.
Your partisan hackery knows no bounds.

He called out progressives for spending, but didn't call himself out for a massive, unfunded tax cut.
When did Romney vote for a massive, unfunded tax cut?
He mocks people who choose to drive a Prius for some reason. I was unaware that driving a Prius is some signal. Lots of people have them. I know a Trump loving woman who has one. She hates paying for gasoline. What was the point of that line by Romney?
His point was that conservatives dismiss climate change as a hoax and even many progressives who understand that it’s real are in denial about what it’s going to take to reverse it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk_82
Would love to see a Romney/Cheney ticket in the 2024 presidential election run as Independents. They wouldn't win but certainly would bleed off enough establishment Republicans to deny either Trump or DeSantis a win.

Would love to see a Romney/Cheney ticket in the 2024 presidential election run as Independents. They wouldn't win but certainly would bleed off enough establishment Republicans to deny either Trump or DeSantis a win.
Setting aside her trump thoughts you do not want Cheney.

Reactions: INXS83

Fair enough.

Reactions: TJ8869
Oh. That ticket could win. Edit: Romney/Kinzinger would be a more attractive pairing.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...mney-republican-denial-biden-election/661468/

Even as we watch the reservoirs and lakes of the West go dry, we keep watering our lawns, soaking our golf courses, and growing water-thirsty crops.

As inflation mounts and the national debt balloons, progressive politicians vote for ever more spending.

As the ice caps melt and record temperatures make the evening news, we figure that buying a Prius and recycling the boxes from our daily Amazon deliveries will suffice.

When TV news outlets broadcast video after video of people illegally crossing the nation’s southern border, many of us change the channel.

And when a renowned conservative former federal appellate judge testifies that we are already in a war for our democracy and that January 6, 2021, was a genuine constitutional crisis, MAGA loyalists snicker that he speaks slowly and celebrate that most people weren’t watching.

What accounts for the blithe dismissal of potentially cataclysmic threats? The left thinks the right is at fault for ignoring climate change and the attacks on our political system. The right thinks the left is the problem for ignoring illegal immigration and the national debt. But wishful thinking happens across the political spectrum. More and more, we are a nation in denial.

I have witnessed time and again—in myself and in others—a powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case. We don’t need to cut back on watering, because the drought is just part of a cycle that will reverse. With economic growth, the debt will take care of itself. January 6 was a false-flag operation. A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: “I won in a landslide.” Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win.

Bolstering our natural inclination toward wishful thinking are the carefully constructed, prejudice-confirming arguments from the usual gang of sophists, grifters, and truth-deniers. Watching angry commentators on cable news, I’m reminded of H. L. Mencken’s observation: “For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

When entire countries fail to confront serious challenges, it doesn't end well. During the past half century, we Americans have lived in a very forgiving time, and seeing the world through rose-colored glasses had limited consequences. The climate was stable, our economy dwarfed the competition, democracy was on the rise, and our military strength made the U.S. the sole global hyperpower. Today, every one of those things has changed. If we continue to ignore the real threats we face, America will inevitably suffer serious consequences.

What clears the scales from the eyes of a nation? Pearl Harbor did. 9/11 did. A crisis can shake the public consciousness. But a crisis may come too late for a course correction that can prevent tragedy. The only cure for wishful thinking is leadership. Winston Churchill emboldened a complacent Britain and rallied the world. Abraham Lincoln held the Union together. Ronald Reagan shook us from our malaise. Lech Wałęsa inaugurated a movement that brought down the Iron Curtain. Martin Luther King Jr. inspired us to “believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality.” And Volodymyr Zelensky’s stunning display of courage—“I need ammunition, not a ride”—showed us what real character looks like.

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

I hope for a president who can rise above the din to unite us behind the truth. Several contenders with experience and smarts stand in the wings; we intently watch to see if they also possess the requisite character and ability to bring the nation together in confronting our common reality. While we wait, leadership must come from fathers and mothers, teachers and nurses, priests and rabbis, businessmen and businesswomen, journalists and pundits. That will require us all to rise above ourselves—above our grievances and resentments—and grasp the mantle of leadership our country so badly needs.
Mitt Romney is a half ass, coward and projecting.

Reactions: littlez
See you continue to be an absolute joke, party yo. you are so pathetic

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Good ol’ Chis never disappoints.
Lol. No. He helped enable Trump. He barely spoke out against him and did the bare minimum. I think he's the Mother Theresa of the GOP currently but he didn't do remotely enough to squash the radicalism of the GOP which is 100% here now. He's a 1 step forward 2 steps back ho hummer

Reactions: littlez
Lol. No. He helped enable Trump. He barely spoke out against him and did the bare minimum. I think he's the Mother Theresa of the GOP currently but he didn't do remotely enough to squash the radicalism of the GOP which is 100% here now. He's a 1 step forward 2 steps back ho hummer
Don’t ever change, you magnificent bastard.

Btw, her name was Mother Teresa.

I spoke facts and failed miserably on the amazing Nun, thanks for the correction

benedict-cumberbatch-tip-hat.gif

Sure they would. LOL! Ever heard the expression "pimple on an elephant's ass"? This is it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT