Mitt Romney shows us all is not lost

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
By
Jennifer Rubin
Opinion writer
Feb. 5, 2020 at 2:20 p.m. CST
Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) — a man of uncommon decency and honor who, in my estimation, could have been an excellent president — earned a line in history by defying the president of his own party. The history books will record: The former Republican presidential nominee voted to remove a president who, the overwhelming weight of evidence showed, abused his power and betrayed his country.

Romney, now the only person in history to vote to remove a president of his own party, was eloquent as he calmly delivered his speech from the floor after so many other Republicans had embarrassed themselves with transparently ridiculous excuses for acquittal. He explained, “My own view is that there’s not much I can think of that would be a more egregious assault on our Constitution than trying to corrupt an election to maintain power. And that’s what the president did.” With that he dispelled the rationale that this was not impeachable conduct. It was the most impeachable conduct imaginable.

From the archives: Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

He told his colleagues and the country that “leaving it to the voters” was a dodge. "The Constitution doesn’t say that if the president did something terribly wrong, let the people decide in the next election what should happen,” he said. “It says if the president does something terribly wrong, the Senate shall try him. And so the Constitution is plain.” Indeed it is, although his colleagues would delude themselves into thinking the trial itself was punishment.

AD
ADVERTISING
Romney patiently related the key facts: “The president asked a foreign government to investigate his political rival. The president withheld vital military funds from that government to press it to do so. The president delayed funds for an American ally at war with Russian invaders. The president’s purpose was personal and political.” He concluded therefore that “the president is guilty of an appalling abuse of the public trust.”

In poignant terms of a political martyr, he explained, “I am aware that there are people in my party and in my state who will strenuously disapprove of my decision, and in some quarters, I will be vehemently denounced. I am sure to hear abuse from the president and his supporters. Does anyone seriously believe I would consent to these consequences other than from an inescapable conviction that my oath before God demanded it of me?”

One had to have a heart of stone not to well up with his conclusion:

AD
I will tell my children and their children that I did my duty to the best of my ability, believing that my country expected it of me. I will only be one name among many, no more or less, to future generations of Americans who look at the record of this trial. They will note merely that I was among the senators who determined that what the president did was wrong, grievously wrong.
We’re all footnotes at best in the annals of history. But in the most powerful nation on earth, the nation conceived in liberty and justice, that is distinction enough for any citizen.
Romney will get more than a footnote.

His vote and more importantly his speech matter greatly, if only as reminders that every American has the capacity for greatness, the ability to stand on principle and the spine to refuse the entreaties of the mob. His obvious faith and earnest reading of the Constitution remind us that the document is not simply words on a page, nor are the House managers’ arguments background noise to be ignored. They have the power to command us all to be bigger than ourselves and our party and to honor the sacrifices of those who have given the last full measure for others’ safety and freedom.

In our bleak, angry and cynical time, we should all find inspiration in a singular act of integrity. Romney deserves the highest compliment I can pay a politician: He was McCain-esque.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/05/mitt-romney-shows-us-all-is-not-lost/

Mitt is going to pay. But thank goodness that he stood up against his party and the Treasonous Liar and did the right thing
Mitt is a Democrat. He only ran as a Republican because he had to in order to win in Utah.

Mitt is a Democrat. He only ran as a Republican because he had to in order to win in Utah.
LMAO ^^^^
what a dumb phuquing thing to say Del! Maybe the dumbest quote of the week. How friggin' nutz are you...and yours? Mitt's family is hard core Republican....maybe not "criminal Republican" as you seem to prefer....but there is NO WAY Mitt is a Democrat. You are proof as to how far right your Party has fallen. Your assertion is absolutely laughable.
You are smarter than what you said...I will overlook it, this time.

Hold on a second, sir. Are you claiming members of one party are not supportive of their rival parties presidential candidate?

I've never heard that before. Preposterous.
you can disagree with a point of view but Democrats went after Romney. Got personal and tried to paint him as a racist and sexist.

Hell, the senate majority leader Harry Reid even went as far to openly lie about Romney not paying taxes.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
you can disagree with a point of view but Democrats went after Romney. Got personal and tried to paint him as a racist and sexist.

Hell, the senate majority leader Harry Reid even went as far to openly lie about Romney not paying taxes.
Wow they lied about him not paying taxes?!?!?! Let me clutch my pearls.

It’s one thing to lie about the President being born in Kenya and being a Muslim, but god dammit when you lie about someone not paying their taxes, well that crosses the line

By
Jennifer Rubin
Opinion writer
Feb. 5, 2020 at 2:20 p.m. CST
Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) — a man of uncommon decency and honor who, in my estimation, could have been an excellent president — earned a line in history by defying the president of his own party. The history books will record: The former Republican presidential nominee voted to remove a president who, the overwhelming weight of evidence showed, abused his power and betrayed his country.

Romney, now the only person in history to vote to remove a president of his own party, was eloquent as he calmly delivered his speech from the floor after so many other Republicans had embarrassed themselves with transparently ridiculous excuses for acquittal. He explained, “My own view is that there’s not much I can think of that would be a more egregious assault on our Constitution than trying to corrupt an election to maintain power. And that’s what the president did.” With that he dispelled the rationale that this was not impeachable conduct. It was the most impeachable conduct imaginable.

From the archives: Mitt Romney: The president shapes the public character of the nation. Trump’s character falls short.

He told his colleagues and the country that “leaving it to the voters” was a dodge. "The Constitution doesn’t say that if the president did something terribly wrong, let the people decide in the next election what should happen,” he said. “It says if the president does something terribly wrong, the Senate shall try him. And so the Constitution is plain.” Indeed it is, although his colleagues would delude themselves into thinking the trial itself was punishment.

AD
ADVERTISING
Romney patiently related the key facts: “The president asked a foreign government to investigate his political rival. The president withheld vital military funds from that government to press it to do so. The president delayed funds for an American ally at war with Russian invaders. The president’s purpose was personal and political.” He concluded therefore that “the president is guilty of an appalling abuse of the public trust.”

In poignant terms of a political martyr, he explained, “I am aware that there are people in my party and in my state who will strenuously disapprove of my decision, and in some quarters, I will be vehemently denounced. I am sure to hear abuse from the president and his supporters. Does anyone seriously believe I would consent to these consequences other than from an inescapable conviction that my oath before God demanded it of me?”

One had to have a heart of stone not to well up with his conclusion:

AD
I will tell my children and their children that I did my duty to the best of my ability, believing that my country expected it of me. I will only be one name among many, no more or less, to future generations of Americans who look at the record of this trial. They will note merely that I was among the senators who determined that what the president did was wrong, grievously wrong.
We’re all footnotes at best in the annals of history. But in the most powerful nation on earth, the nation conceived in liberty and justice, that is distinction enough for any citizen.
Romney will get more than a footnote.

His vote and more importantly his speech matter greatly, if only as reminders that every American has the capacity for greatness, the ability to stand on principle and the spine to refuse the entreaties of the mob. His obvious faith and earnest reading of the Constitution remind us that the document is not simply words on a page, nor are the House managers’ arguments background noise to be ignored. They have the power to command us all to be bigger than ourselves and our party and to honor the sacrifices of those who have given the last full measure for others’ safety and freedom.

In our bleak, angry and cynical time, we should all find inspiration in a singular act of integrity. Romney deserves the highest compliment I can pay a politician: He was McCain-esque.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/05/mitt-romney-shows-us-all-is-not-lost/

Hard to believe this kind of thing ever would have been said by liberals about Romney in 2012.

Mitt might get recalled, he will have to go back to running Bain Capital and put more Americans out of work.

Republican nominees for president in 2008 and 2012 are now vilified by Republicans since the Trump takeover.

MAGA morons then try to make a point that the Ds hated those nominees back then, uhh derp.

Republican nominees for president in 2008 and 2012 are now vilified by Republicans since the Trump takeover.

MAGA morons then try to make a point that the Ds hated those nominees back then, uhh derp.
The same person you claimed was an awful person during the campaign. I guess you can be classified as a moron as well. derp

Reactions: royhobbs2
Funny to see the democrats with praise for Romney considering how they treated him like the anti christ back in 2012.

That's because you've been brainwashed by all that "liberals aren't really tolerant" bullshit.

No bigger group of hypocrites in this world than the left in this country.
tenor.gif

Let’s be real for a second. Mitt is a good man. He’s led in government and business and he’s put forward workable solutions in both. A lot of the Dems love him today, but him being trashed over an awkwardly worded answer where he was talking about knowing a lot of talented and knowledgeable professional women did contribute to Trump being viable.

Cheap political points add up...and rarely to a number we like.

Let’s be real for a second. Mitt is a good man. He’s led in government and business and he’s put forward workable solutions in both. A lot of the Dems love him today, but him being trashed over an awkwardly worded answer where he was talking about knowing a lot of talented and knowledgeable professional women did contribute to Trump being viable.

Cheap political points add up...and rarely to a number we like.

And killing that lady’s husband, of course
And telling the truth about 47% of the populace that would never vote for him.
And having a dad that put a dog in a cage on a roof of a car as a kid.

And saying “I like to fire people” and having it taken way out of context.

And many more!

Wow they lied about him not paying taxes?!?!?! Let me clutch my pearls.

It’s one thing to lie about the President being born in Kenya and being a Muslim, but god dammit when you lie about someone not paying their taxes, well that crosses the line

Yes. So much ugly by both sides over stuff that was often trivial...or locking onto stupid conspiracy theories and it grows and grows and grows.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT