ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft Watch - Iowa Players

Second round - competitive balance picks are done. Brecht and Morgan remain undrafted. According to MLB.com's rankings, there are 19 players ranked higher than Brecht at #77 who remain undrafted going into Round #3.

Rockies don't take Brecht in Round #3. Instead, they take McCade Brown from Indiana. Brown is a Junior who could go back to Bloomington.

Brewers continue to go the college route. Take Alex Binelas from Louisville. He's a Junior who could return to college.

90 picks down and Brecht remains undrafted. Given that slot for Pick #91 is $650K, I feel pretty confident that the number that was shared with me isn't going to happen. It would take an above slot offer of more than $2.5M to reach the number I was told. That would be, to my knowledge, unprecedented.

Seven figures above slot? Still in play.
Seven figure offer? Still in play.

Third round over. Brecht and Morgan are still undrafted.

Fourth round slot money starts at $571K (Pirates) and drops to $430K (Dodgers). To get "Baumler-money" ($1.5M), a fourth rounder would have to receive about $929K to $1.07M above slot. That, IMO, remains in play.

14 players ranked above Brecht still available.

Remember, the Orioles paid $1.5M above slot for last year's 4th round pick. If Brecht could extract that kind of over slot offer, he'd be looking at about $2.1M to just under $2.0M.

Would love to be a "bug" on the phone lines. Can't help but think that teams are reaching out to "Team Brecht" and asking . . . "We have X$ that we anticipate being available. Would you sign for that?"

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Big Ten players selected in draft so far:

RoundPickPlayerSchoolTeamPick Value
259Spencer SchwellenbachNebraskaBraves$1.19 million
261Steven HajjarMichiganTwins$1.13 million
379McCade BrownIndianaRockies$780k
394Sean BurkeMarylandWhite Sox$618k
398Cade PovichNebraskaTwins$593k
6176Seth LonswayOhio StateGiants$282k
7209Gabe BiermanIndianaMarlins$215k
8237Zack RaabeMinnesotaBrewers$175k
9255Garrett BurhennOhio StateTigers$161k
9272Conor LarkinPenn StateBlue Jays$153k
10286Matt LitwickiIndianaRed Sox$148k
10303Benjamin CowlesMarylandYankees$144k
10305Tommy SommerIndianaWhite Sox$143k
11332Trenton WallaceIowaBlue Jays--
11333Jack NeelyOhio StateYankees--
12367Andrew HoffmanIllinoisBraves--
13390Michael TrautweinNorthwesternReds--
14412Nathan LavenderIllinoisMets--
15440Benjamin SemsMichiganRockies--
15444Cole BarrIndianaMariners--
17501Mason ErlaMichigan StateAngels--
17508Justin WilliamsPenn StateAstros--
17513Grant RichardsonIndianaYankees--
17518Kyle VirbitskyPenn StateAthletics--
18543Bailey DeesPenn StateYankees--
19553Drew IrvineIowaPirates--
19556Tyler UberstineNorthwesternRed Sox--
19575Shawn GoosenbergNorthwesternWhite Sox--
19578Blake BeersMichiganAthletics--
20595Cam WynneNebraskaPhillies--

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraHawk

RoundPickPlayerSchoolTeam
259Spencer SchwellenbachNebraskaBraves
261Steven HajjarMichiganTwins
379McCade BrownIndianaRockies
394Sean BurkeMarylandWhite Sox
398Cade PovichNebraskaTwins

And, FWIW, the first Iowa HS player was drafted. Ian Moller from Dubuque Wahlert selected by the Rangers with pick #103. Moller was ranked by MLB.com as the 124th best prospect.

Brewers don't take Brecht in 4th round. Picked Logan Henderson a JUCO from Texas.

If he does it will be between the 11-20th round unless someone come through in the 3rd

I was thinking that, for the type of money that I heard, 2nd or 3rd round would have to be where he was selected. I'm still thinking that 4th or 5th round can get him a seven figure offer but, after the 5th round, it tells me that teams have serious signability concerns and/or are a bit timid about his relative lack of experience and polish.

Teams are drafting players now ranked in the 200s. Hell, some players picked aren't even ranked by MLB. Teams are definitely aware that he's on the board as one of the top 15 available and are just not picking him.

Fourth round over. Brecht and Morgan are still undrafted.

Fourth round slot money starts at $422K (Pirates) and drops to $318K (Dodgers). To get "Baumler-money" ($1.5M), a fourth rounder would have to receive about $1.08M to $1.2 above slot. That, IMO, remains a possibility but chances are dimming.

13 players ranked above Brecht still available.

I can saying with about 80% confidence that Brecht will be on the mound for the Hawkeyes next season.

Why so many Brecht threads I don’t get it
Threads or posts?
This thread is titled "MLB Draft Watch - Iowa players"
Brecht is a Iowa HS prospect committed to play for Heller.
Given the publicity recently given to Brecht by national draft watchers, it seems logical that a "Draft Watch" thread would . . . umm . . . update about the draft.
Highly ranked Iowa prospects are relatively rare.
Getting them to commit to the U of Iowa is also rare.
Being able to have the player on a football scholly and not burn baseball money is ever more rare.
Keeping a top 100 ranked player to eschew MLB after being drafted and having that player come to U of Iowa is also rare.

I can saying with about 80% confidence that Brecht will be on the mound for the Hawkeyes next season.

Well . . . that's the end of Round 5. Brecht still on the Board. The top 14 on the Board (ranked #20 - #77) are all HS kids. That speaks volumes about teams not wanting to take a chance on signability issues with HS kids.

Can he still get drafted and offered seven figures? Sure. But, IMO, he's now at the point where teams have prioritized others and made their key above and below slot picks.

IowaHawkeye2323's crystal ball looks prescient at this point.

Not a done deal that he'll suit up in black and gold but looking much stronger than pre-draft.

I'm done following it in the background.

I'm disappointed for Wallace. B1G Pitcher of the Year and he's still waiting to hear his name called. 187 selected thus far and he's still waiting for the phone call.

I know that he's ranked #237 but still . . . would've been nice for him and a feather in the cap for the program if he got picked higher.

9272Conor LarkinPenn StateBlue Jays$153k
10286Matt LitwickiIndianaRed Sox$148k
10303Benjamin CowlesMarylandYankees$144k
10305Tommy SommerIndianaWhite Sox$143k
Day #2 of the Draft is done. The final rounds (#11-#20) begin at 11 am tomorrow.

Other than showing that he can duplicate an excellent season that no one truly expected, I don’t know how Wallace could do better than B1G Pitcher of Year and 2nd team AA.

EDIT: would love to see him come back but, like Kyle, I don’t see it happening.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed for Wallace. B1G Pitcher of the Year and he's still waiting to hear his name called. 187 selected thus far and he's still waiting for the phone call.

I know that he's ranked #237 but still . . . would've been nice for him and a feather in the cap for the program if he got picked higher.
Seems he lacks the velo to be a Day 2 pick. A little like Joey DeNato a few years ago.
I’ll be disappointed if Baumann and Fullard leave. It looks like they’re leaning that way though. Iowa could have something cooking with Brecht and Morgan if a few guys return.
I don’t think Fullard came to Iowa to play school.

Huskers with some big baseball news in the last few days.

1) Their top high school prospects appear to he enrolling as they were not selected so far in the Draft

2) Former Texas A&M head coach Rob Childress has been hired as Director of Player Development under Will Bolt. Childress is a former Husker assistant and was 622-336-3 overall at A&M in 16 seasons with two CWS appearances, six Super Regional appearances and 16 NCAA tournament appearances.

Huskers with some big baseball news in the last few days.

1) Their top high school prospects appear to he enrolling as they were not selected so far in the Draft

2) Former Texas A&M head coach Rob Childress has been hired as Director of Player Development under Will Bolt. Childress is a former Husker assistant and was 622-336-3 overall at A&M in 16 seasons with two CWS appearances, six Super Regional appearances and 16 NCAA tournament appearances.
Nebraska is building something over there with Will Bolt.

This appears to be all the Big Ten draft picks