ADVERTISEMENT

MLK Day - Ammo Score

ghost80

HR Heisman
Feb 24, 2009
Got a tip from a buddy that Bass Pro had an ammo shipment come in yesterday. Likely to be the highly elusive 9mm and 5.56mm waiting on the shelves when they open today. We both have today off and decided to have breakfast and be there right before the doors open. Maybe a dozen people in line and the tip was spot on. Limit of 5 boxes per caliber and since I wanted 9mm and he wanted 5.56mm we each were able to get 10 boxes of what we wanted. 10 x 50 CCI Blazer-Brass. Price was $14.99 but with Cabelas Card reward the pre tax price dropped to $12.71 box.

Stopped at another place on the way back and even though they had no ammo on the shelf a polite inquiry at the desk yielded 2 x 50 Federal 9mm @$13.49.

Thanks Doc Martin!

$12.71 a box is a pretty good price these days I think.
Especially for CCI. I'd put Blazer brass a notch above Federal and Winchester and a couple notches above Remington.

For comparison on the other side of town I was in Scheels a couple weeks ago. The shelves were bare but if they would have had it the limit would have been 2 boxes (100rds) @ $15.99.

This is interesting, are bullets hard to come by these days or something?

The lack of available ammo has deterred me from purchasing a handgun or 2 in the last few months.

I have no interest in spending money on a glorified paperweight that I can’t practice with for lack of ammo.

This is interesting, are bullets hard to come by these days or something?

All of the political instability we have been experiencing has caused many people to buy up ammo.

I personally have somewhere around 300 rounds. I actually had an exact count but I forgotten what it was.

Reactions: ghost80
If there's anything that screams "MLK Day"......it's an Ammo Sale...

😲
This was no sale by Bass Pro. This was just a rare instance where they actually had ammo....and to Bass Pro's credit under current conditions.....the fair price it should be.

The only place where MLK Day comes into play (for me) is that it is a holiday....otherwise we would have been working.

I shoot it. My current habit is 3 boxes a month. In the summer its closer to 4. Today haul will only last me 3-4 months....and as hard as it is to find...thats nothing.
Yeah, I think for most people it's not about hoarding for the apocalypse, but about stocking up enough (at a decent price) so you can go out and enjoy your hobby. It's not fun if you can't fund ammo and when you do it's $1/round (compared to ~$0.30/rd). Shooting 150 rounds each time you go out becomes cost prohibitive when the only ammo you can find is being price gouged by places like Cheaper Than Dirt that actually have some in stock.

Yeah, I think for most people it's not about hoarding for the apocalypse, but about stocking up enough (at a decent price) so you can go out and enjoy your hobby. It's not fun if you can't fund ammo and when you do it's $1/round (compared to ~$0.30/rd). Shooting 150 rounds each time you go out becomes cost prohibitive when the only ammo you can find is being price gouged by places like Cheaper Than Dirt that actually have some in stock.
$14.99 is my max price. I refuse to pay the gougers.

Stacked it deep when Walmart quit selling handgun ammo. They never really had to discount the popular calibers by much to make them disappear but the writing was on the wall that with the worlds largest ammo retailer out of business the prices for those calibers would go up while the number of locations to purchase ammo would go down.

Bought a lot of Wallyworld Federal 100/200rd pks for $17 / $33 each.

All ammo is in a shortage right now. Even shotgun slugs were almost impossible to find for deer season. Luckily I have a nice stock pile, but I am buying the rounds when ever I see them, not when I need them from now on.

All ammo is in a shortage right now. Even shotgun slugs were almost impossible to find for deer season. Luckily I have a nice stock pile, but I am buying the rounds when ever I see them, not when I need them from now on.
Do you receive a training/requal allocation?

Do you receive a training/requal allocation?
Not really. If someone struggles at qualifying you could ask for extra rounds to go and practice with, but other than that they just give us new ammo and a few boxes to keep in the car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT