ADVERTISEMENT

MN PBP thread

I can’t sleep.

I mean there are multiple angles from this that are just… I’m having a difficult time shaking.

Not sure if anyone knows my personal situation, but I am a single father of 3 daughters and have my girls 90% of the time. I work at a factory, for it pays more than my field of study. My daughters and I get by only on my income. Yesterday, I had to write a check for $171 for my 4 year old’s daycare before leaving for Iowa City… also before leaving, I had to take $150 out of my account for Club volleyball fees, my gf and I’s tickets for yesterday and for a sitter to watch my daughters when I was at the meet last night. I can’t wait for my next paycheck…which is Thursday. I regretted nothing in terms of what I decided to spend my money on until I got to the parking lot at Carver yesterday.

I wouldn’t have blown up the way I did if: 1.) his redshirt wasn’t pulled Saturday and 2.) If I was at home watching it on B10 Network, opposed to spending money that I do not have an abundance of to watch at Carver.

Just… a heads up or an indication somewhere, anywhere would have been convenient. There was nothing to indicate to us that he wasn’t wrestling…. His anticipated debut was posted everywhere, from multiple media outlets… there wasn’t some “leak.” I mean, it was a huge talking point that the media ran with for the narrative leading to the meet…his press conference, the newspapers, etc… Everyone from SE Iowa who follows wrestling was under the impression that he was going yesterday.

I am very sorry to some of you that I may have disrespected in my responses yesterday when this went down. If I were wise, I would have simply handed my phone to my gf, because social media and me are not a good combination when I am upset and I knew better.

I am also extremely sorry to my brother/family… My impulsive decision making with this did not do him any favors. He is under enough stress right now… the last thing he needs is to feel tension with his teammates because his raw nerve of an older brother can’t keep his “chill factor” maintained.

I obviously should have waited until some of this stuff (his shirt) was made clear to us, but at the time, I was so upset that the possibility of there being a reason for things going the way they did, did not occur to me.

I regret so much about the way I handled this yesterday, and FWIW, I apologize to anyone who may have been rubbed the wrong way by it and I would be an idiot to blame anyone for feeling that way. I did nothing, but made an unfortunate situation worse than it already was.
You are passionate as most of us would be if we had a family member in
the room with a chance to come out of the tunnel at Carver and wrestle for the Hawks.

Sometimes emotion disrupts passion a bit and has to be calmed down. No big deal.

Gobblin's right about some of us that might like to help defray some of your expenses from last night a bit. Let us help.

Post a mailing address please.

If it's any consolation, Coach Brands agrees that Iowa for the most part looked lethargic (Per Cody Goodwin - Hawk Central). Couple of snippets.....

"I'm agitated right now" (opening remark I presume! Ha!)

"They squeeze a lot, for whatever the reason, and we need to deal with that. We didn't deal with that very well".

"You've got to be more ready. That's energy. We probably weren't ready enough. I'm certain we'll do something about that".

Kaleb Young match "We were dodging bullets, almost like we were trying to hang on too much" (yep, just like I said last night............. wrestling not to lose)

If it's any consolation, Coach Brands agrees that Iowa for the most part looked lethargic (Per Cody Goodwin - Hawk Central). Couple of snippets.....

"I'm agitated right now" (opening remark I presume! Ha!)

"They squeeze a lot, for whatever the reason, and we need to deal with that. We didn't deal with that very well".

"You've got to be more ready. That's energy. We probably weren't ready enough. I'm certain we'll do something about that".

Kaleb Young match "We were dodging bullets, almost like we were trying to hang on too much" (yep, just like I said last night............. wrestling not to lose)
i find the squeezing comment interesting because i think we have a lot of guys who squeeze a lot. i think the previous group of hawks had a lot of squeezers too. the breakthrough of this team the last two years has been that they don't squeeze so much. they get to legs. they finish. they turn people. the guys don't seem as fluid in their wrestling this year.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Kem is going to have a Cory Clark like year. Probably only wrestles a couple duals, then goes at B10s and NCAAs. If I remember correctly, TnT managed that situation fairly well. Cory gutting out that championship was about as good as it gets for me in recent Hawk history. Hopefully Kem finds a way as well as he deserves it.

I can respect that take…

but damn… all of SEI was there.

ever seen that movie Carrie?

I feel like pigs blood was spilled on my entire family.

And I know it likely wasn’t intended… but that’s how it felt.
This is a conversation to have with staff. Not here IMHO.
Big boy sports are brutal

Reactions: Lambertt
Kem is going to have a Cory Clark like year. Probably only wrestles a couple duals, then goes at B10s and NCAAs. If I remember correctly, TnT managed that situation fairly well. Cory gutting out that championship was about as good as it gets for me in recent Hawk history. Hopefully Kem finds a way as well as he deserves it.
Who would've ever thought we were going to have 1 national champion that year and it would be Clark and not Gilman?

Some guys just find a way to win, and Clark gutting out that NC was nothing short of amazing.

Who would've ever thought we were going to have 1 national champion that year and it would be Clark and not Gilman?

Some guys just find a way to win, and Clark gutting out that NC was nothing short of amazing.
After watching his interview about his mental state after finishing 2nd the year before, I couldn't have been pulling any harder for him. How he pulled it off one armed is nothing short of amazing. His ride out to win was sheer guts and will. So glad he made it after TG's headscratcher in the semis.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Kem has paid his dews for 6 years (?) Your brother maybe 2 years. I think he has the right to say he wants to go especially when he wins head to head? Sorry

He'll have to have a Cory Clark like national tournament to win it all for sure. 174 is stacked this year like 133 was in 2017. Even if he had two shoulders, he would have had a tough road. Started first round with returning AA Schram. Then saw Micic, Tomasello, and Gross from the quarters to the finals.

He'll have to have a Cory Clark like national tournament to win it all for sure. 174 is stacked this year like 133 was in 2017. Even if he had two shoulders, he would have had a tough road. Started first round with returning AA Schram. Then saw Micic, Tomasello, and Gross from the quarters to the finals.

I'd say that 165 is the new 133. Top 5 guys are Star, Kem, Labs (who just got beat by Joe D), Lewis and Hidlay. If Lewis is healthy, he'll be a tough out...especially in a close match. Of course, Hidlay will too. Agree with you about Kem taking a different tact. We have already seen it with the # of shots down...he is picking and choosing his spots versus just shooting in and outwrestling guys. Was very happy to see the power on that cradle which tells me his shoulder isn't totally shot.

165 is loaded with both good veterans and young talent.

RANKWRESTLERSCHOOLCLASSCONFERENCERECORDLAST
1Alex MarinelliIowaSeniorBig Ten10-01
2Evan WickCal PolySeniorPac-129-02
3Keegan O’TooleMissouriFreshmanBig 1213-03
4Shane GriffithStanfordSophomorePac-129-24
5Travis WittlakeOklahoma StateSophomoreBig 126-15
6Anthony ValenciaArizona StateSeniorPac-1210-06
7Carson KharchlaOhio StateFreshmanBig Ten13-17
8Dean HamitiWisconsinFreshmanBig Ten11-017
9Julian RamirezCornellFreshmanEIWA12-39
10Cameron AmineMichiganFreshmanBig Ten7-210
11Peyton HallWest VirginiaFreshmanBig 1217-113
12Phil ConigliaroHarvardSophomoreEIWA11-414
13Jake WentzelPittsburghSeniorACC7-38

Reactions: GoHawks1996
I’m sorry.

Hey its good to see you around here and appreciate the takes, threads, and videos you share.
I know this weekend was tough, but hope it all comes together and Carver explodes for Brennan's first home win. Even if we all have to wait for next year.

Oh and if I would have known who you were on Friday night, those Bud Lights would have been on me - next time, Rico!

Spencer also wrestled at the National Duals. Kem certainly seemed good to go last night, but if they were 100% confident he would be ready to go, they probably wouldn’t have had Nelson drop to 174 and then pull Brennan’s redshirt.

There is/was some concern about Kem’s ability to wrestle safely and effectively. Hopefully, last night is a strong indication that Kem is ready to go for the rest of the year.

I honestly didn’t think he looked ready to go. His left arm looked to be for decorative purposes only.

Reactions: AFHawk86
I felt that way against Minny, but didn't notice him favoring/protecting a shoulder at much against Purdue.
It takes a match to trust that your body works the same way it did before an injury. I’m sure Kem is well versed with this feeling. Should be interesting to see how he holds up. I’ve got my fingers crossed

ADVERTISEMENT