ADVERTISEMENT

Mo Ibraham and player overuse

It's clear Fleck overused Ibrahim because he had no better options.

But that doesn't make it right.

The young man is probably a team player and realized he was the best option. This is 100% on the Gopher coaching staff.

Just glad PJF isn't the Iowa HC.

With Smith, it wasn't just 16 games. The Cowboys played a lot of post-season games during his career. Those stats aren't included in the numbers I listed. The point is, Ibrahim's workload is not unprecedented and he was only averaging around 20 carries earlier in the season before Morgan got hurt.
Has He complained about getting too much work?

it’s not unprecedented and in the short term it’s mostly worked for them without seeing a drop off. What we’re saying is that for most running backs - with the notable exceptions of all-timers like Emmitt or Payton, most running backs aren’t able to sustain their production long-term without starting to breakdown physically.

With Smith, it wasn't just 16 games. The Cowboys played a lot of post-season games during his career. Those stats aren't included in the numbers I listed. The point is, Ibrahim's workload is not unprecedented and he was only averaging around 20 carries earlier in the season before Morgan got hurt.
Total number of games matters, of course, but even adding playoff games won't change the fact that Mo has been getting substantially more carries per game. Whether he complains is irrelevant.

I actually just looked, Ibrahim hasn’t had less than 30 attempts in over a month! Interestingly the first half of the season during their 4-1 start he was averaging in the 20’s….now a lot of that is competition probably but still interesting.

Same as what was brought up earlier with regards to Tua in Miami, part of a coaches, and program/organizations, job is to protect the player from themselves. The player won't want to be looked at as weak or not durable, even if they know they're getting destroyed physically.

I think wrecked in more like 3-5 years and out of NFL if he ever made it.
The assumptions being made, such as this one, are hilarious.

Maybe, just MAYBE, this guy’s body is handling it just fine….

Ibrahim makes Minny’s offense “go” therefore you give him the damn ball.

Reactions: chuck285
Ron Dayne averaged 28 carries his senior season over 12 games.
There are five NFL players that have over 400 carries in a season.
Was anyone outraged when Canzeri had 45 carries against Illinois in 2015?
I’m sure @BustingNarratives was.

But more likely he was doing backflips because Iowa did what they had to do to win.

E. Elliot had 270+ and 280+ his final two years at OSU.

Derrick Henry had 395, yes 395 carries his last season at Bama.

They’ve had great NFL careers and still ticking. Many guys handle it well, some do not.

Reactions: chuck285
Ron Dayne averaged 28 carries his senior season over 12 games.
There are five NFL players that have over 400 carries in a season.
Was anyone outraged when Canzeri had 45 carries against Illinois in 2015?
I think the point is, that a) its 4 or 5 games in a row, and b) at least two of those games they had a 30 point lead, and yet he was still carrying the ball. c). He's coming back from a torn achilles or acl last year. NFL players play 17 games, so thats an average of 23 carries per game.

Old-timers may remember ISU RB Dwayne Crutchfield from 1980-81. He was a gifted, big RB that coach Donnie Duncan abused. In 1981 3-0 ISU played at #5 Oklahoma and left with a 7-7 tie. IIRC, Crutchfield had 50 carries against a physical Sooner defense. He really wasn't the same after that and was obviously playing injured later in the season.
Sure I remember Crutch. Tough dude. That was when they were wearing the tear away jersey's, and he went through several every game......

Canzeri only had 390 carries in his entire four year career … Ibrahim has had 173 this month alone. Big difference in recovery time.
Thanks for proving my point homer. There’s ALWAYS an exception when it relates to the home team. 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: BXY
Canzeri only had 390 carries in his entire four year career … Ibrahim has had 173 this month alone. Big difference in recovery time.
He’s had 107 this month.

If you want to include the last game of October, he’s had 143.

So there’s that. Did you intentionally inflate your number to push your point?

He’s had 107 this month.

If you want to include the last game of October, he’s had 143.

So there’s that. Did you intentionally inflate your number to push your point?
Check again Coors, over the last month ...

Nov 19 against Iowa ... 39 carries
Nov 12 against NW ... 36 carries
Nov 5 against NE ... 32 carries
Oct 29 against RU ... 36 carries
Oct 22 against PSU ... 30 carries

That's 173 carries in 29 days.

Check again, over the last month ...

Nov 19 against Iowa ... 39 carries
Nov 12 against NW ... 36 carries
Nov 5 against NE ... 32 carries
Oct 29 against RU ... 36 carries
Oct 22 against PSU ... 30 carries

That's 173 carries in 29 days.
“This month” is a weird way of meaning ‘in the last 30 (31) days’

Actually, it doesn’t make sense to put it that way.

“THIS month” would be, at this juncture in the year, used by 99.9999% of people to refer to November.

Weirdo.
Symantics. My point stands … he has been overused In whatever you want to call the past 29 days. I agree with the writer in the OP.

Last edited:
Same as what was brought up earlier with regards to Tua in Miami, part of a coaches, and program/organizations, job is to protect the player from themselves. The player won't want to be looked at as weak or not durable, even if they know they're getting destroyed physically.

Did you feel that way when CJB was getting pummeled in his last game as a Hawk? That was the justification for leaving him in that game. "He didn't want to come out and he is old enough to make his own decisions." At least Mo's team had a chance to win the games he was getting all those carries in.

Did you feel that way when CJB was getting pummeled in his last game as a Hawk? That was the justification for leaving him in that game. "He didn't want to come out and he is old enough to make his own decisions." At least Mo's team had a chance to win the games he was getting all those carries in.

Yes, I thought they handled CJB poorly.

Symantics. My point stands … he has been overused In whatever you want to call the past 29 days. I agree with the writer in the OP.
Who are you to say “overused”?

Fleck is helping that dude get to the NFL after giving him ample opportunity to rush for boatloads of yards and boatloads of touchdowns. Nothing wrong with it. Jesus Christ.

Maybe our staff should try it sometime - might be more appealing for athletic recruits to come to Iowa City.

it’s not unprecedented and in the short term it’s mostly worked for them without seeing a drop off. What we’re saying is that for most running backs - with the notable exceptions of all-timers like Emmitt or Payton, most running backs aren’t able to sustain their production long-term without starting to breakdown physically.

FWIW, he was the answer, nobody gets through a skinny hole like him. He won’t be realized for it because he isn’t fast but IMO he is one of the best College Rbers in the last several years. Especially vs this D!

Who are you to say “overused”?

Fleck is helping that dude get to the NFL after giving him ample opportunity to rush for boatloads of yards and boatloads of touchdowns. Nothing wrong with it. Jesus Christ.

Maybe our staff should try it sometime - might be more appealing for athletic recruits to come to Iowa City.
LOL. Iowa has 36 active players on NFL rosters … Minnesota has 12. Our coaching staff knows how to develop.

LOL. Iowa has 36 active players on NFL rosters … Minnesota has 12. Our coaching staff knows how to develop.

Now, tell me how many skill-position offensive players from Iowa are in the NFL.

The offensive side is the discussion here, bud.

Get back to me with a number and comparison of us vs them.

Now, tell me how many skill-position offensive players from Iowa are in the NFL.

The offensive side is the discussion here, bud.

Get back to me with a number and comparison of us vs them.
You afraid to look it up yourself? Iowa has 14 offensive players on NFL rosters including 5 at “skilled“ positions. Minnesota has 3 offensive players and 2 are at “skilled“ positions.

You are not very good at this.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT