ADVERTISEMENT

Model says Spanish body positivity campaign used her photo without consent

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1de8d064-4c0b-4e0f-a1e9-6c20c6221e89_960x1076.png

A Spanish government campaign to promote body positivity has come under fire after a model said she was featured without her consent.
The image, featuring five women with different body shapes at a beach together with the words “Summer is ours too,” was released on social media Wednesday.
Are you on Telegram? Subscribe to our channel for the latest updates on Russia's war in Ukraine.
The aim was to celebrate body diversity and “the right of all women to enjoy public spaces,” the government said.

“All bodies are beach bodies,” tweeted Social Services Minister Ione Belarra after the campaign launched, while another minister commented: “All bodies are valid and we have the right to enjoy life as we are, without guilt or shame. Summer is for everyone!”

The problem, says one of the women who appears in the illustration, is that she did not consent to her image being used.
British model Nyome Nicholas-Williams said that the photo was taken from her Instagram feed and that she was not contacted by the Spanish government or the artist before the campaign launched.

“I think it does show that women’s — especially Black women’s — bodies are so policed and our bodies as women are not our own,” she told The Post, noting that an Instagram follower first alerted her to the campaign.
“It’s a very positive campaign, but why was I not approached and asked?” she said.
Nicholas-Williams said she has not managed to contact the other women featured in the campaign and did not know whether they had been paid or consented to appear.

The artist behind the campaign, Arte Mapache, apologized to the models involved, writing on Twitter that the illustrator mistakenly thought that the image was unlicensed and free to use. The artist offered to share the 4,490 euros (almost $4,560) paid for the image and would work to “repair the damage caused … and try to solve this matter privately with the parties involved.”

Spain’s Women’s Institute praised the artist’s response: “Thank you for your anti-fatphobia activism, for recognizing the error regarding illustration and being open to listening to the women involved in the fight against fatphobia and racism.”
Nicholas-Williams said that her agent was in touch with the artist but that she has still not received any communication from the government agencies involved in the campaign.
“I think the apologies should come from the people who made the campaign. The illustrator has apologized — and I accept her apology, she made an error, she’s a human. But I think this is a problem of governments and people that have more power: They just don’t see the error in the things that they do.”

She probably posed for SI. They love fat models these days. I grew up with Elle McPherson, Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Ashley Montana, and others in SI. I also grew up with the likes of Stephanie Seymour, Karen Mulder, Yasmeen Ghauri, Daniela Pestova, and others with VS. Supermodels used to represent the top 2 percent of beauty. Now, while SI and VS still use some attractive and traditional models, they both now also use fat models, old models, ugly models, and other PC models. If I want to see ugly and fat women in swimsuits I just would visit any beach in Okoboji. I love supermodels and it makes me mad. Bill Maher even brought it up. There is nothing wrong with celebrating beautiful women. I am liberal and I even think fashion has gone way to PC.

She probably posed for SI. They love fat models these days. I grew up with Elle McPherson, Kathy Ireland, Rachel Hunter, Ashley Montana, and others in SI. I also grew up with the likes of Stephanie Seymour, Karen Mulder, Yasmeen Ghauri, Daniela Pestova, and others with VS. Supermodels used to represent the top 2 percent of beauty. Now, while SI and VS still use some attractive and traditional models, they both now also use fat models, old models, ugly models, and other PC models. If I want to see ugly and fat women in swimsuits I just would visit any beach in Okoboji. I love supermodels and it makes me mad. Bill Maher even brought it up. There is nothing wrong with celebrating beautiful women. I am liberal and I even think fashion has gone way to PC.
BTW Google the vintage models I mentioned. It won't disappoint. Look up their pics of SI and VS.

Are positivity campaigns paying off? is it known whether the young men of today are more (than from prior gens) inclined to bone the rotund?

Bigger than I prefer, but that's a good photo.

On one hand... it's good if people can feel good about their bodies, even if their type isn't as appreciated socially. (with the attendant consideration that we shouldn't blow smoke up their ass about health concerns associated with obesity -- it is what it is)

On the other hand... the "community" around body positivity is a bit ****ing nuts...

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT