ADVERTISEMENT

Moderately drinking

Anyone like to drink without getting a buzz?

I use to be they type where if I’m not getting drunk then it is not worth drinking. Once the twins hit I have found myself enjoying a beer or two and occasionally getting buzzed. #growth #csb

I actually had a beer last night while dining out with Mrs. BNG.

I only had one. Felt good to be in control.

Communion wine, out to eat, or a little holiday cheer will be all I'm willing to do anymore. Mrs. BNG reminds me I can still be witty and charming without getting shit faced.

I like the new me.

Communion wine, out to eat, or a little holiday cheer will be all I'm willing to do anymore. Mrs. BNG reminds me I can still be witty and charming without getting shit faced.

I like the new me.
Pic of Mrs. BnG?

Reactions: pink shizzle

I like the new me.
Yah I am just happy I am getting old in a time where there are so many craft brews to keep me entertained with having a couple and that’s it. I have found myself enjoying having a beer or two while cooking.

Last edited:
Anyone like to drink without getting a buzz?

I use to be they type where if I’m not getting drunk then it is not worth drinking. Once the twins hit I have found myself enjoying a beer or two and occasionally getting buzzed. #growth #csb
I haven’t been drunk for almost twenty years. One or two drinks, be it liquor or beer, I’m done.

Only time I exceed that is tailgating, but even then I’m maybe four beers and hardly in quick succession.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I do what I want but find I don’t have more than one or two drinks. I value productivity & good decisions and having more than one or two interferes with the next day.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
Much prefer a sober state as I get older. I usually have 1 or 2 drinks at the most anymore.

Reactions: Nipigu

I like the new me.
I don’t. Seem kinda lame.

I actually prefer 2-3 then stop. Last Friday, I got wasted with a buddy about to be going through a divorce. I haven’t been that wasted in a long time and I absolutely hated it. Won’t do that again. Two good drinks is my new sweet spot.

I normally only binge drink on the weekends.

I did have a cocktail conference call with a coworker yesterday. I can see how easily that could become habit forming.

I drink moderately. I hate waking up on a Saturday or Sunday feeling like crap. I actually need to be productive on my weekends now
My wife is starting to get this way. If she drinks heavily, she is hungover until the afternoon. It ruins her whole day. She drinks very selectively now. I, on the other hand, can drink as much as I want and feel normal the next day.

Reactions: bdg8
For nearly 20 years, I never once stayed sober after a beer can or bottle touched my lips. True story.

Hell, about 60 years ago on the drive home from the lakes, it was so hot that my dad gave me a drink from his beer. My family says I drank about half the can and got a little tipsy. I was a problem drinker at age six, ten years later I was an all-star. Proud.

Last edited:
What did you consider out of control?

Ah, jeez, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Honestly, I was a pretty high functioning drunk. But it was starting to affect my relationship with Mrs. BNG.

If they want to, @naturalmwa and @goldmom can talk about some of my better performances on HROT after fifteen Fat Tires and counting.

Oh, I can't forget my feckless friend, Captain Dipshit (@NorthernHawkeye ).

Reactions: naturalmwa
Like most I was able to get black out drunk 6-7 nights a week in my 20's and be at work by 7am ZFG. Since I hit my 40s I'm in a daze if I drink the night before. Past few years I haven't drank from Sunday-Thursday and then drink Friday and Saturday and it works out great for the buzz effect. When we started sheltering in place we started doing zoom shots with friends around the country 7 days a week and I noticed I would slam 4-6 shots of whiskey in a couple hours and wouldn't even get a buzz. So I went back to the Fri-Sat schedule again. Feels much better.

Two of my sons friends dads passed away (Suicide) a few weeks back. They were both heavy drinkers and that was kind of a wake up call to me as well. I've also had 3 close friends die over the past 3 years from alcohol in their early 40's. I don't want my wife and kids to have to go through that kind of pain.

The worst thing about moderate drinking is the social pressure from "regular drinkers", be they friends or family. Some people just can't understand why anyone whose not an alcoholic would choose not to drink, like you're a weird social outcast.

Of course the world would be a better place if everyone adopted a "you do you" philosophy.

Like most I was able to get black out drunk 6-7 nights a week in my 20's and be at work by 7am ZFG. Since I hit my 40s I'm in a daze if I drink the night before. Past few years I haven't drank from Sunday-Thursday and then drink Friday and Saturday and it works out great for the buzz effect. When we started sheltering in place we started doing zoom shots with friends around the country 7 days a week and I noticed I would slam 4-6 shots of whiskey in a couple hours and wouldn't even get a buzz. So I went back to the Fri-Sat schedule again. Feels much better.

Two of my sons friends dads passed away (Suicide) a few weeks back. They were both heavy drinkers and that was kind of a wake up call to me as well. I've also had 3 close friends die over the past 3 years from alcohol in their early 40's. I don't want my wife and kids to have to go through that kind of pain.
Damn man, I’m sorry to hear that. It’s tough losing friends. I’m not quite 40 but I’ve lost some people really close to me. Excuse my curiosity and if you don’t want to talk about it I understand, but how did your close friends die from alcohol? Liver disease or something or just drank themselves to death on a bender? Liver disease isn’t something I think about, or my health that much in general as I’m still fairly young but I’m sure I’ve done some damage to the ol organs over the years.

I like to have a couple beers while shooting up black tar heroin. It helps keep me mellow and I don’t like being hungover as I don’t like feeing like crap when I do more black tar heroin the next day

Reactions: Nipigu and Kakaw83
The worst thing about moderate drinking is the social pressure from "regular drinkers", be they friends or family. Some people just can't understand why anyone whose not an alcoholic would choose not to drink, like you're a weird social outcast.

Of course the world would be a better place if everyone adopted a "you do you" philosophy.

Yeah, the social aspect is a difficult one to balance. If all you have in common with friends is drinking you really just have to cut them out of your life.

I was drinking at Sullivan's Bar in Omaha on St. Patricks day at 9 am. I called my dad and told him where I was....he said "good job, son." My Creighton days 40 years ago.

Had three beers while slinging paint today.
Had 2 while cleaning the grill...Another 2 after mowing...just sitting here drinking a few more waiting to fire up the grill...I'll end up drinking around 16-18 beers total for the day before I pass out....but I won't be completely out of control shitfaced when I'm done...That is how I like to drink.

10 percent of people in America drink 60 percent of all alcohol/sales.

Had 2 while cleaning the grill...Another 2 after mowing...just sitting here drinking a few more waiting to fire up the grill...I'll end up drinking around 16-18 beers total for the day before I pass out....but I won't be completely out of control shitfaced when I'm done...That is how I like to drink.
Sounds like a day well spent.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT