ADVERTISEMENT

Mollie Tibbetts gets far more coverage than other missing Iowans. Is media bias to blame?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Pretty, young white girls:

Iesha Husted last saw her brother in Centerville, Iowa, in January. Sebastian Husted, 19, has been missing ever since.

“Nobody has written about it,” Husted said.

That’s in sharp contrast to the case of 20-year-old University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts, who was listed as missing from Brooklyn, Iowa, on July 18.

Her unsolved case has received considerable state and national media attention from the Register, television stations and national media outlets, including ABC, CNN and Fox News.

Iesha Husted believes she knows the reason why.

“I think it is because our family is poor. We don’t have the funds to get his face out there,” said Husted, 25. “We don’t have a tight-knit community to rally around. A lot of people think he was an 18-year-old boy running away from his problems.”

Investigators from the Centerville Police Department and Mercer County Sheriff’s Department did not return messages seeking comment on the case.

Iowans showed alarm on social media when a list of missing people in Iowa was widely shared after the Tibbetts disappearance. Nearly 400 people are on the list of those missing, and some wondered why few others are known about.

There was enough concern that public safety officials clarified in a news release that the numbers of those missing were steady and most were runaways.

But criminal justice researchers say the attention disparity among the missing in the media and public is not uncommon.

“Victims that are white, young and female are more likely to be covered, especially on the national level. The victim is seen as more innocent,” said Michelle Jeanis, assistant professor in the criminal justice department at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Jeanis said her 2016 study, "Newsworthiness of Missing Person Cases," mirrored findings by other researchers that show selection bias in coverage but could not conclude if the cause was a bias of race, age, gender or class in a sampling of 50 cases in Louisiana.

“Are the news outlets telling viewers what they want, or are the viewers telling the news media what they want?” Jeanis asked. “Who is biased? It’s hard to know.

“But there is something about the young coed story that is incredibly enticing.”

It’s important, she says, because law enforcement officials encourage news media to raise awareness to gather more tips and “get more eyes on their photos to bring them home safe — though that hasn’t been proven,” Jeanis said. State officials expressed that sentiment about Tibbetts on Tuesday at a news conference in Montezuma attended by reporters from national media outlets.

Jeanis' latest unpublished study on social media shares and likes on posts about missing persons showed similar bias among the public.

“Social media is seen as the great equalizer,” she said, yet missing young and white victims get more likes and shares.

At least one person wanted the case of Sebastian Husted to be known among her Facebook followers.

Riley Drake, a doctoral student in social and cultural studies in education at Iowa State University, wondered if the lack of coverage has anything to do with Husted’s race or class. She is also from Centerville but doesn’t know Husted.

“In our community, we celebrate baseball tournaments — we just won the state tournament. It was exciting to see the Facebook posts of everyone celebrating and being supportive,” she said in an interview. “But where is the support and compassion for a young man that is missing?”

636678690889568319-mollie1.jpg

Car magnets printed by Live Now Designers in Brooklyn, Iowa, pictured on July 22, 2018. Community members continue to search for Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old Iowan who was last seen on July 18, 2018. (Photo: Matthew Leimkuehler/The Register)

Drake and others say they want to be clear: They applaud the attention and focus on Tibbetts and hope the best for her and her family. But what about the rest?

More at: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...edia-bias-attention-missing-person/872539002/

Last edited:
I've got to think that there are parents of a child who isn't a perky, beautiful college girl who are irritated about their child not receiving the same coverage. Let's say she's found alive, and (relatively) unharmed, those other parents may be happy for her and her parents, but at the same time disgusted about the idea that if their child's disappearance had received the same coverage, they may have been able to get them back too. And I can fully understand that frustration.

I get the lack of coverage, but I live in the Centerville area. There have been very few facebook posts from friends or family, family organized searches and I believe there was a delay in reporting to police. Even still the media coverage would not have been the same, for potentially very similar outcomes both potentially involving hog lots. There is definitely a socioeconomic issue. Also issues with perceptions on whether someone may have been running around with a tougher crowd rather than perceiving Mollie as being purely innocent. Both cases should get attention and get solved, and hopefully one or both will.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I have found it odd that she is usually described in headlines as a University of Iowa student. (probably more so when she first disappeared than now). That is a relevant fact of her life, but she is from Brooklyn and was last seen in Brooklyn. Don't know if they are trying to push that she is a "good girl" and not a meth head.

I've got to think that there are parents of a child who isn't a perky, beautiful college girl who are irritated about their child not receiving the same coverage. Let's say she's found alive, and (relatively) unharmed, those other parents may be happy for her and her parents, but at the same time disgusted about the idea that if their child's disappearance had received the same coverage, they may have been able to get them back too. And I can fully understand that frustration.
This is nothing new. Compare the missing Des Moines paperboys from the 80's--Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin. Much of the disparity in that coverage may have been due to the parents' ability to spend money and generate publicity.
Frankly, I never knew much about the finances of either family except that one was from West Des Moines and one was from the east side of Des Moines.

This is nothing new. Compare the missing Des Moines paperboys from the 80's--Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin. Much of the disparity in that coverage may have been due to the parents' ability to spend money and generate publicity.
Frankly, I never knew much about the finances of either family except that one was from West Des Moines and one was from the east side of Des Moines.

No doubt. Look at the Adam Walsh case fro the 1980's. That case got a ton of attention, largely because his parent could afford it. Other similar incidents over the years go underreported. Now, I have no clue about the economic status of the Tibbetts family, and this may have nothing to do with them, as much as a pretty face sells.

Saying all of that, I really do hope they find her alive and in good shape. These kinds of cases so often result in tragedy that it would be nice to see one end well, regardless of why there is more attention than normal. I just wish there was more attention on other similar cases.

I think you nailed it there. ^^ I am curious to know more about how one case gets highlighted v. another. I agree with those that say that the disappearance of the young boy, Jake, got a lot of pub, and he is not a young, perky college girl, etc. So I don't think it is quite so simple as the pretty, white girls getting all of the attention. But I also wouldn't say that that has nothing to do with it.

It would be very hard to sort out and publicize every missing person case where an emotional teen leaves the house, swearing that they are never coming back, etc, v. a straight up mysterious disappearance like the Tibbetts case. I think the greater pub is more tied to the mystery factor.

I actually don't think the Tibbetts are extremely well off, but the dad is well enough off that he has taken off from work and is here permanently right now. The difference is this, there were facebook posts immediately and the fact there were hundreds of people there for a search, essentially showing the family and mollie had a large social network that started the snowball.

Ask yourself this why has there been so much attention even on this website. The major pub has only come recently after this interest on here, webslueths and reddit. Which in turn has garnered the media attention after the websleuths is up to 9 or 10 pages long, which is all speculation because no information has been released. For me, the interest started after hearing she was a fellow Hawkeye, and just the bizarre aspects of the case, for many I am sure it is a similar case.

I have found it odd that she is usually described in headlines as a University of Iowa student. (probably more so when she first disappeared than now). That is a relevant fact of her life, but she is from Brooklyn and was last seen in Brooklyn. Don't know if they are trying to push that she is a "good girl" and not a meth head.
It's always about rhetoric.

He went down to powerwash in company vehicle to Missouri farm. Texted brother several times to pick him up as coworker was acting wierd. When brother responded got no response back. Family reported missing 2 days later. His sister says found his clothes and boots in truck bed a week later. The farmer let investigators look at pig barn but refused to let searchers go on property said due to hunters didn’t want to disturb them. Hunters did find the remains. Most thought he had been fed to the pigs but remains were just over the property. Biggest issue is Iowa resident went missing in Missouri and the small town cops wanted to chalk it up to running away. The co worker was unwilling to assist, basically disappeared and is now in Des Moines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT