ADVERTISEMENT

Momentum: Iowa already #13 for 2023 recruiting

Looks like Senda out of Michigan announces today between Iowa, Michigan, MSU, and NW. If Iowa can pull him into the fold, that would be huge but gotta think the home state school Michigan holds the edge over Iowa and the others.

Looks like Senda out of Michigan announces today between Iowa, Michigan, MSU, and NW. If Iowa can pull him into the fold, that would be huge but gotta think the home state school Michigan holds the edge over Iowa and the others.
I'd put good money he's not headed to Iowa. I would happily be wrong. With that said, if Iowa can magically pull in 2 of Proctor, Green, or Jagusah. It would be an amazing class.

Think Kueter is underrated.
But yeah this should be a really good class.
I agree ... Kueter's high school productivity (particularly on D) is almost other-worldly. If he were coming out of IC High back in the earlier 2000s ... when it had a better rep for producing D1 talent ... he'd likely have been regarded more highly too.

I'm particularly curious as to what position he'll be developing into. He's currently a monster at LB in high school ... but, in college, he's projected to wrestle at heavyweight. If that's the case ... then he's likely projected by the coaches to develop into a D-lineman.

His competitiveness if very reminiscent of guys like Bob Sanders and Tyler Linderbaum ... just tell a guy like that that he cannot do something.

I agree ... Kueter's high school productivity (particularly on D) is almost other-worldly. If he were coming out of IC High back in the earlier 2000s ... when it had a better rep for producing D1 talent ... he'd likely have been regarded more highly too.

I'm particularly curious as to what position he'll be developing into. He's currently a monster at LB in high school ... but, in college, he's projected to wrestle at heavyweight. If that's the case ... then he's likely projected by the coaches to develop into a D-lineman.

His competitiveness if very reminiscent of guys like Bob Sanders and Tyler Linderbaum ... just tell a guy like that that he cannot do something.
He's wrestling 220 right now, you think he makes a 65lb jump to heavy weight? I guess it's that or drop to 197.

• Haha
Reactions: AlmostRelevantHawk
Who are the next big time commits to continue to make the 2023 class the all time best in program history and build on the two best consecutive classes Iowa has ever signed?

Anyhow ... I've been saying back even before we were done with the 2021 class ... it looked like the 2023 class could be really freakin' good!

I continue to feel that way ... and recruiting momentum REALLY DOES HELP!

I remember back when AJ Epenesa was a prospect ... had the Hawks not had that special 2015 season ... showing that there was reason to hope ... we really may not have landed him. The fact that we had such a great season then helped "grease" the wheels.

Similarly, the Hawks have obviously had one heck of a solid run from 2015 onward ... however, having a surprise great season like the 2021 season definitely could help to continue to "grease" the wheels for many an Iowa recruit.

I think that the 2023 class is gonna be special!

He's wrestling 220 right now, you think he makes a 65lb jump to heavy weight? I guess it's that or drop to 197.

You also have to remember that he's just a high school JR ... he's likely to continue to grow and develop. Already he's dropping a lot of weight to just make weight in the 200s. I would guess that next year (in high school) he'll probably wrestle at 220 (just guessing) ... depending on how he grows/develops.

You also have to remember that he's just a high school JR ... he's likely to continue to grow and develop. Already he's dropping a lot of weight to just make weight in the 200s. I would guess that next year he'll probably wrestle at 220 (just guessing) ... depending on how he grows/develops.
Looks like a solid LB to me.

• Haha
I heard he reclassed so should have technically been a senior this year, not sure if that's true can anyone confirm? Regardless excited we landed him and think he will be great in either sport I would stoked if he could juggle both football and wrestling but not going to hold my breathe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Heavyweights rarely weight 285. That is the maximum. I would guess 250 is an average weight for a D1 heavyweight. Maybe you’re aware?

He will be a heavyweight at Iowa if he continues to wrestle.
Yeah, this is a wrestling board question. Others I'm sure know better, but for instance Gable Steveson is at 265 for freestyle. Giving up 15-20 pounds of muscle is a fairly significant amount. Cass dropped 20 pounds though this year to get to 250, so you might be right.

Yeah, this is a wrestling board question. Others I'm sure know better, but for instance Gable Steveson is at 265 for freestyle. Giving up 15-20 pounds of muscle is a fairly significant amount. Cass dropped 20 pounds though this year to get to 250, so you might be right.
Kueter could wrestle at 250 and play Linebacker. The limit is 285 and the HWT.'s these days aren't all as big as they used to be.

Kyle Snyder is a wrestling beast and he won 3 NCAA HWT. Titles and was likely never over 230 lbs. He wrestled Internationally at 214 lbs primarily I believe. So it can be done, but not many Snyder's out there.

But Snyder didn't play football, and if Kueter wants a legit shot to start for the Hawks on the Football field he'll have to put on 20 lbs or better from where he is now. Kueter is a well rounded athlete, sky's the limit for this kid.

And with multiple players in the Hawkeye Family using their NIL and efforts to help families in the community and region, no wonder recruits want to be part of something truly unique, even beautiful.

Front page of ESPN:

• Haha
I am pretty excited about Kueter. 6'3" and 220. Can easily add a few more lbs and be ready from a size perspective to contribute. Something about high level wrestlers that play football, glad to have another.

I think that is the big difference from the Hawks 15 years ago, many of the players arrive with a weight close to what is needed to succeed. They do still tend to grab Oline prospects in the 260-270 range, but the trend is closer to 300 the last couple of years.

Senda committed to Northwestern
From what I know he's a really smart kid (as in not just smart for a FB player). He also doesn't have the biggest frame (for an OL...obviously not small) so his longterm future is not FB. A technician who will probably be a pain in your butts for 2-3 years but not a huge loss. I actually respect that he chose Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT