ADVERTISEMENT

Monkey Wrench....

Wrong you must be kidding. The where are you getting your stats? When I go to the big 10 stats it shows 13 games for Iowa. So it includes non-conference games.

Illinois played MSU #101 defense and Indiana #115 along with #6 Michigan. Iowa played the #6 Michigan, #14 OSU and #38 Rutgers in total defense. So we do not play the same teams correct.
So what. Use your eyes and actually watch the dumpster fire of an offense each week. They were awful and a third grader could see it. If you couldn't, yikes!

Who has a worse offense ISU or Iowa?

ISU played 1 top 15 defense in total defense, Iowa, while Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule. The next best defense ISU played was Texas at #54 who allowed 368 YPG, unlike Illinois 274, ISU 286, Mich 292, Minn 295 and Wisc 303. We played 9 teams with a better defense than Texas.

On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127.

I believe the worst offense was ISU. They didn't come close to playing the defenses Iowa did. They played 6 defenses that allowed over 400 YPG Iowa played 1. Both Okla and Kansas allowed over 460 YPG. ISU averaged was # 83 in total offense with 370 YPG and got 469 against SE Missouri St who was not close to South Dakota State in defense.

We had 7 defensive scores to lead the nation while ISU had 0. 7 times our offense did not take the field and like the Kentucky game these scores change your strategy to running clock and limiting turn-overs with safe passes.

The defenses you play make a big difference.
Since ISU scored more points against Iowa than Iowa scored against ISU, I guess that means Iowa's offense was worse. Especially since Iowa had the better defense. Unless you are implying ISU had the better defense this past season.....then you would be wrong.

I don't care if they are the best FCS it's still a FCS team at home. The offense scored 3 points the whole day on a drive that went 5 yards aided by the special teams. They gained 166 yards total. That's pathetic. Every team minus South Dakota managed at least 1 td vs them. Your argument of not allowing 21 or more in a playoff game begs the question is how Holy Cross can score 3 tds against them and Iowa couldn't manage one? To your last point not like other teams never have injuries. Still no excuse for the awful offensive production that still existed even after they came back.
The first two games please list the scholarship WR that played. How many missed much of fall camp Including Johnson, Ragaini, Brecht, Vines, and Bostick. Johnson and Bostick missed the year and Vines half. Why would KSU pick up Johnson who caught two passes for 11 yards all year? How much did Iowa's offense miss him?
So what. Use your eyes and actually watch the dumpster fire of an offense each week. They were awful and a third grader could see it. If you couldn't, yikes!
I actually watched two teams on the field and know who you play matters. That FCS team was ranked #41 by sagarin much higher than many FBS teams including Marshall #70 ranking who beat Notre Dame at home.

You are all falling victim to the master plan of Soaker. Personally, I believe he is a Priest of some sort

In reading his posts one can only assume that he that he has a plan to control all planets of the solar federation.

In other words, we never need to really know how or why he exists.

Since ISU scored more points against Iowa than Iowa scored against ISU, I guess that means Iowa's offense was worse. Especially since Iowa had the better defense. Unless you are implying ISU had the better defense this past season.....then you would be wrong.
One game can turn on many issues, fumbles, Int, missed assignment, etc. Fans are saying we have the #130 total offense which is true. But what it leaves out is the defenses you played. Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses and ISU played 1. Does that make their offense look better sure.

Theres a monkey wrench in all of the "our OFF is ranked in the bottom 10%...or 103 of 131" or whatever dmbass stat you're looking at is ....let me clue you in!

If the teams ahead of us played against BIG defense in the BIG conference their fin stats would be worse then ours. Some of you morons can't think outside the dam stat you're looking at.

Get a frigging clue. Even Petras would throw for 300+ and our rbs would run all over more then 1/2 of those teams in those conferences ahead of us.
Let’s not try and find silver linings where there are none; this season was an offensive bust and let’s hope for whatever it takes to get better next season including; better players, better play calling, and better ability to at least stretch the field even 10% more. 🙏🏽

One game can turn on many issues, fumbles, Int, missed assignment, etc. Fans are saying we have the #130 total offense which is true. But what it leaves out is the defenses you played. Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses and ISU played 1. Does that make their offense look better sure.
You can sugar coat and rationalize it all you want......but Iowa's offense was abysmal, bad, and downright horrible. Other offenses put up better numbers than Iowa did against those 7 defenses, so your argument doesn't exonerate or excuse Iowa's performance.

OP who you crappin?
we stunk on O

I‘ll throw u a bone and maybe we should have been the 100th worst offense in the country …….STINKS !!!!

We’re still DEAD LAST among all P5 teams this year AND last year. By any metric, that’s pathetic and embarrassing.
Finished win-loss record ahead of 9 of B1G Ten Teams with higher Ranked Offenses on that list at 8-5.

Beat SEC Kentucky with a 12th ranked defense in the Nation with our 3rd string QB (who only had 3 weeks as a starter to prepare) and an O-line with 3 So, 1 Fr and 1 Jr starting.

Not embarrassing at all.

W's are always more impressive then Offensive Yardage ranking.

That said, yes, we need to improve our O-Line and receivers. Top 60-80 offense for 2023 is within reach, more in line with KOK and GD performances as OCs. Iowa's offense will need to be in the top 30-40 for 2024 and beyond to be respectible adding USC and UCLA. Can Brian accomplish that level, we will know more by the end of 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkisoaker
Finished win-loss record ahead of 9 of B1G Ten Teams with higher Ranked Offenses on that list at 8-5.

Beat SEC Kentucky with a 12th ranked defense in the Nation with our 3rd string QB (who only had 3 weeks as a starter to prepare) and an O-line with 3 So, 1 Fr and 1 Jr starting.

Not embarrassing at all.

W's are always more impressive then Offensive Yardage ranking.

That said, yes, we need to improve our O-Line and receivers. Top 60-80 offense for 2023 is within reach, more in line with KOK and GD performances as OCs. Iowa's offense will need to be in the top 30-40 for 2024 and beyond to be respectible adding USC and UCLA. Can Brian accomplish that level, we will know more by the end of 2023.
By that measure our defense finished with the number 1 “Stop Rate” this year, a metric followed weekly by the Athletic. So every top 25 team finished higher than us, even though we had a better statistical defense.

You can sugar coat and rationalize it all you want......but Iowa's offense was abysmal, bad, and downright horrible. Other offenses put up better numbers than Iowa did against those 7 defenses, so your argument doesn't exonerate or excuse Iowa's performance.
And other offenses did worse than Iowa against those 7 defenses so your argument does not make sense. I did not sugar coat anything I wanted to give some perspective as many on this board will not. How would our offense look against 7 bottom 15 defenses? WR injuries sure impacted our offense. Our first two games we were missing 5 scholarship WR.

Reactions: BCRoss89
Week after Iowa played SDSU Cal Poly tripled our points and yards against them. SE MO St put up 2x as many yards week before Iowa played ISU. Speaking of Petras his career high for yards was 265 yards.... and that was in his first start at Purdue in a career with over 30 starts.

Lastly you do realize in KF's long tenure coaching in the Big 10 the Iowa offense this season statistically was the 2nd worst by any team in the Big 10 since he started in 99'. That's how bad they were. You are trying to hard putting lipstick on a pig with your argument. End of the day they were complete garbage and anyone with eyes not blocked by black and gold goggles could see that.
I said BIG defenses...get a clue, playing BIG week in and out is different...scouting etc cluless.

Reactions: BCRoss89
Stops: The total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent a successful play by the offense, defined as 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, and 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. This seams a bit arbitrary to me but if you say so.

Jeff Sagarin ranked Iowa 21st in the nation in his last poll. 20 teams with better offenses when they don't have to play Iowa.

Big Ten (NCAA Total Offense)

OSU #9
UM #24
PSU #34
Maryland #55
PU #56
Minn #65
IL #74
Wisc #91
MSU #97
Neb #102
NW #107
IN #110
RU #127
Iowa #130

I don't get your logit OP

200w.gif
And look at the #s...a few yards etc takes u way up the chain...bad. basically middle pack.

And that’s the problem with Iowa’s offense. 75% of games, great defense and special teams can win you games, including Iowa State and Illinois this year but didn’t happen. But the other 25% (like Purdue, Wisconsin and Michigan in 2021 and Ohio State and Michigan in 2022) we literally had no chance of winning those games and get blown out because we can’t compete offensively.
I don't disagree...but he still wins more than he shud...w/l r what counts.

OP. You again? Just stop and stick to your hammer thread.

And Roy, I believe we all know that by now.

It takes a patience to survive redundancy. Some days I have it. Today is not one of them.
What's redundant?.. 1 is player changes, 1 is coaching charges, 1 is fans OFF # fixation stupidity.

Actually we played 4 defenses better than Georgia who was at #10 in total defense. Why pick and choose a few games? ISU lead the big 12 in every defensive category and was top 4 nationally. SD State was the best team in FCS and had the number 2 total defense. They never allowed more than 21 points in 4 FCS playoff games.

The first two games please list the scholarship WR that played. How many missed much of fall camp Including Johnson, Ragaini, Brecht, Vines, and Bostick. Johnson and Bostick missed the year and Vines half. Why would KSU pick up Johnson who caught two passes for 11 yards all year? How much did Iowa's offense miss him?
Exactly...we have our starters our numbers go +30/game. Spot on.

My point is Nevada gave up 35 plus to the juggernauts of Air Force, Incarnate Ward, San Jose St, Boise State and Fresno State. Iowa only mustered 27.

A very down Northern Iowa team dropped 28 on South Dakota State. An average North Dakota scored 35 on them. Iowa scored 3 offensive points

ISU gave up 24 plus to TCU, Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor. And 62 to TCU. And these aren’t normal Oklahoma and Texas teams. Iowa scored 7.

My point is we weren’t playing these Georgia type defenses. Our offense just flat out was horrible.
All these hypotheticals mean jack squat...teams who actually play one another match up & game plan differently...clueless.

Who has a worse offense ISU or Iowa?

ISU played 1 top 15 defense in total defense, Iowa, while Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule. The next best defense ISU played was Texas at #54 who allowed 368 YPG, unlike Illinois 274, ISU 286, Mich 292, Minn 295 and Wisc 303. We played 9 teams with a better defense than Texas.

On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127.

I believe the worst offense was ISU. They didn't come close to playing the defenses Iowa did. They played 6 defenses that allowed over 400 YPG Iowa played 1. Both Okla and Kansas allowed over 460 YPG. ISU averaged was # 83 in total offense with 370 YPG and got 469 against SE Missouri St who was not close to South Dakota State in defense.

We had 7 defensive scores to lead the nation while ISU had 0. 7 times our offense did not take the field and like the Kentucky game these scores change your strategy to running clock and limiting turn-overs with safe passes.

The defenses you play make a big difference.
Great n valid points these morons just don't get bc they can only read an OFF stat#

And other offenses did worse than Iowa against those 7 defenses so your argument does not make sense. I did not sugar coat anything I wanted to give some perspective as many on this board will not. How would our offense look against 7 bottom 15 defenses? WR injuries sure impacted our offense. Our first two games we were missing 5 scholarship WR.
My argument makes perfect sense. Yes, you are trying to sugar coat and rationalize Iowa's abysmal offensive performance.

Let's stay with ISU as an example. Every team ISU played scored more points against them than Iowa. Every...single...one. And against one of the country's best defenses!

I searched SOS for Iowa's rank, and only used the ones done after the regular season was over. They had Iowa's schedule in the mid-30s+. Not exactly a juggernaut. So......7 top 15 defenses notwithstanding, Iowa's SOS was not even Top 25. No matter what metric you want to use, and no matter what rationalizations and excuses you come up with, no matter what "perspective", Iowa had one of the worst offenses in all of college football. Period.

Who is this Soaker guy? Some 18-year-old freshman in Mayflower that eats, sleeps, dreams about, and jerks off to Hawkeye football posters on his wall?

How do you get away from reality and become such an extreme Iowa Homer?

My argument makes perfect sense. Yes, you are trying to sugar coat and rationalize Iowa's abysmal offensive performance.

Let's stay with ISU as an example. Every team ISU played scored more points against them than Iowa. Every...single...one. And against one of the country's best defenses!

I searched SOS for Iowa's rank, and only used the ones done after the regular season was over. They had Iowa's schedule in the mid-30s+. Not exactly a juggernaut. So......7 top 15 defenses notwithstanding, Iowa's SOS was not even Top 25. No matter what metric you want to use, and no matter what rationalizations and excuses you come up with, no matter what "perspective", Iowa had one of the worst offenses in all of college football. Period.
What does SOS have to due with the strength of an opponents defense? Sagarin has Iowa's SOS at 32. Michigan's is 52 yet they had a top 10 total defense. Other teams SOS Washington 57, Notre Dame 50, Clemson 48, PSU 43, Minnesota 68, Illinois 54. Minnesota and Illinois had top 10 defenses. Your SOS argument holds no water.

Who is this Soaker guy? Some 18-year-old freshman in Mayflower that eats, sleeps, dreams about, and jerks off to Hawkeye football posters on his wall?

How do you get away from reality and become such an extreme Iowa Homer?
Brains, stats, and facts...moron

Hypothetical match ups and what if stats, since they never played one another, moron.
You must subscribe to the old adage... It kind of goes, don't believe your stinking eyes believe what I tell you. That's soaker. never mind that the o actually stunk up the joint continually . And anyone watching them knows that 'cept him. Just believe his spin that they were not that bad. FLASH:. They were son.

What does SOS have to due with the strength of an opponents defense? Sagarin has Iowa's SOS at 32. Michigan's is 52 yet they had a top 10 total defense. Other teams SOS Washington 57, Notre Dame 50, Clemson 48, PSU 43, Minnesota 68, Illinois 54. Minnesota and Illinois had top 10 defenses. Your SOS argument holds no water.
My argument absolutely does hold water. The strength of an opponent takes into account their offense and defense. What did you think is used????

Again........every team that played ISU scored more points against them than Iowa did. Only 2 teams scored less against Illinois than Iowa.

You can rationalize and make all the excuses you want, but it is a FACT that Iowa's offense is one of the worst in college football. By any metric you want to use.

I'm done with this discussion. You refuse to listen to reason and are ignoring reality.

Theres a monkey wrench in all of the "our OFF is ranked in the bottom 10%...or 103 of 131" or whatever dmbass stat you're looking at is ....let me clue you in!

If the teams ahead of us played against BIG defense in the BIG conference their fin stats would be worse then ours. Some of you morons can't think outside the dam stat you're looking at.

Get a frigging clue. Even Petras would throw for 300+ and our rbs would run all over more then 1/2 of those teams in those conferences ahead of us.
Wow just when we think you can't get any dumber you go ahead and show us all what a absolute FOOL you really are!

If you want offensive efficiency adjusted for the opponents you can look here.

Iowa's offensive efficiency was 99th out of 131 teams with Rutgers being the only team in the B1G that was worse. In 2021 they were 90th with Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and Rutgers being worse.

Rutgers fired their OC this year. Illinois and Indiana fired their OC's last year. Northwestern fired their OC three years ago when Northwestern had the 120th ranked offense.

If you want offensive efficiency adjusted for the opponents you can look here.

Iowa's offensive efficiency was 99th out of 131 teams with Rutgers being the only team in the B1G that was worse. In 2021 they were 90th with Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and Rutgers being worse.

Rutgers fired their OC this year. Illinois and Indiana fired their OC's last year. Northwestern fired their OC three years ago when Northwestern had the 120th ranked offense.
Game, set and match. Nice post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT