ADVERTISEMENT

More "bad" news about the economy for the GOP heading into the midterms . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
After screwing the pooch on abortion their last real play was to keep cheerleading for a bad economy. Oops.

After screwing the pooch on abortion their last real play was to keep cheerleading for a bad economy. Oops.

Cool. I hope the GOP gets their asses handed to them so they can hopefully make a full break from Trump and the desecrations and reinvent themselves. America needs a strong conservative party that’s sane, and right now the Republican party isn’t it.

Good that consumer confidence is going up a little.

Lumber prices are coming down because construction is slowing because people can't afford to build.

Gas prices at the pump are going back up, for the time being.

I'm happy things are trending better, though we are still significantly worse off as a country than a year ago.

I was paying 3.19 for gas a month ago, now anywhere from 3.59-3.69 so not sure what is going on there. Getting ready for hurricane season/winter fuel?

Reactions: SIXERS24
I wish DeJear had some money. I have honestly not seen a single ad of hers on tv and I don't even know who she is running with.

Gas rose 40 cents the last two days here. I'm good. Others aren't. Just saying.

Reactions: Finance85
I get that some on the left think the GOP is cheering for bad news to help with the election. Some in the GOP undoubtedly are cheering for bad news. The fact is, even though the news is getting better, we are still significantly worse off as a country than we were a year and a half ago, and it's not going to be fixed before November, and it's unlikely to be fixed before November 2024.

Biden wants to give yet another $15B to Ukraine. WTF?

If the GOP fails to regain control of the Senate and House
in November, 2022, then Donald Trump will fade fast.
Candidates like Hershel Walker in Georgia and Dr. Oz in
Pennsylvania make this a real possibility. Ultimately, we
need a revamped Republican party with new leadership.

Pussy, my 1st house had a 12% rate, grow a pair or sit and cry. Oh, and i paid it off in 1/2 the time with 2 jobs.
This would make it a lot more attractive to pay down debt than it has been. With money at 2-4% cost it made more sense to invest than to pay down debt more quickly.

Gas prices have gone up $.50 a gallon, after they had gone down over a buck. I’ve been asking my conservative friends what Biden did to make them drop. Then make them rise. Not much in the way of answers.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Gold.
Zero.zero of my customers have confidence in the economy for the next 12 months.
These types control hiring, capital spending, etc.

Gas prices have gone up $.50 a gallon, after they had gone down over a buck. I’ve been asking my conservative friends what Biden did to make them drop. Then make them rise. Not much in the way of answers.

Not Biden's doing,.. Price of gas is primarily driven by how the market views the economy, with a 2-4 week lag due to the distribution system

Gold.
Zero.zero of my customers have confidence in the economy for the next 12 months.
These types control hiring, capital spending, etc.
And as we all know, anecdotes from random posters trumps actual data from The Conference Board which reports to the Federal Reserve.

Like I said anecdotes and feelings ALWAYS trump reality and data for the MAGA crowd.

Reactions: Ree4
Pussy, my 1st house had a 12% rate, grow a pair or sit and cry.
What percentage of your annual income was the price?
What percentage of your income was the monthly payment?

Those median numbers were significantly different for prospective buyers the last time mortgage rates were 12%.

Reactions: Ree4 and srams21
And as we all know, anecdotes from random posters trumps actual data from The Conference Board which reports to the Federal Reserve.

Like I said anecdotes and feelings ALWAYS trump reality and data for the MAGA crowd.
As we know a online survey of consumers really have the pulse of the economy vs business owners.

Reactions: ICHerky
Good that consumer confidence is going up a little.

Lumber prices are coming down because construction is slowing because people can't afford to build.

Gas prices at the pump are going back up, for the time being.

I'm happy things are trending better, though we are still significantly worse off as a country than a year ago.
Thankfully, things will get better once the GOP returns to office. Deficits will fall, the debt will decrease, crime will be nonexistent, inflation will come down, and the citizens will be happy.

As we know a online survey of consumers really have the pulse of the economy vs business owners.
Fed remains optimistic.

In a World of Chaos, Fed Officials Are Still Hoping for a Soft Landing​

Federal Reserve officials say they can cool down the economy without causing a recession. They admit that there are risks.

This article is part of our Daily Business Briefing
Jeanna Smialek
By Jeanna Smialek
  • Sept. 27, 2022Updated 3:23 p.m. ET

Federal Reserve officials confront a world of rapid inflation, slowing growth and rampant uncertainty coming from turmoil abroad. In spite of all that, they are still predicting that they might be able to cool down the U.S. economy without tipping it into a painful recession.
Economists and markets are dubious, and even central bankers acknowledge that there are risks. But here are some of the reasons they have laid out for why they might be able to pull it off:
  • America has a strong job market. U.S. employers are still hiring at a solid clip, and the unemployment rate is near a 50-year low. “This gives us some room to maneuver to try to take care of the inflation problem as soon as we can, while the labor market is still strong,” James Bullard, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, said at an event in London on Tuesday.
  • Job openings are plentiful. Some economists think that the strong job market could provide a cushion, specifically because so many jobs are going unfilled right now. That might mean that job openings could fall as the economy slows — but without unemployment rising as sharply as it has historically amid declining demand. Jerome H. Powell, the Fed chair, called that possibility “plausible” at his news conference last week.
  • Inflation expectations are stable. Consumers’ longer-term inflation expectations have moderated recently. That's good news, because when consumers and businesses anticipate fast inflation, they can act in ways that make it more likely, such as asking for rapid pay increases or instituting regular price changes. The continued stability gives officials hope that price increases will not be as difficult to stamp out as they were in the 1980s, for instance.
  • Still, the risks are real. Several Fed officials have pointed to the turmoil abroad — the war in Ukraine, lockdowns in China and uncertainty in Britain — as a threat that could draw the United States into recession. It is also hard to guess how today’s rapid rate increases will play out over time, because their full effect takes a while to show up. And supply chains, while improving, could always become tangled again.

• The Fed’s approach offers “a path for employment stabilizing at something that still is not a recession,” Charles Evans, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, said on Tuesday during an interview on CNBC Europe. “But there could be shocks.”

What percentage of your annual income was the price? 35%
What percentage of your income was the monthly payment? varied, from 2 jobs

Those median numbers were significantly different for prospective buyers the last time mortgage rates were 12%.

Thankfully, things will get better once the GOP returns to office. Deficits will fall, the debt will decrease, crime will be nonexistent, inflation will come down, and the citizens will be happy.
You're funny! You ought to be in the circus!

The GOP doesn't care about the deficit either. They've had no fiscal discipline since the Gingrich years. They simply are a freckle better than the Dems overall, and love defense spending. As for that last bit, Biden surprised me a lot by jacking up defense spending. I thought sure there would be at least the status quo after withdrawing from the 'Stan.

I prefer gridlock most of the time. it forces a measure of fiscal sanity, and compromise when necessary. This time it should be a GOP House. I don't think it's ever good to have full control by 1 party, either way.

Reactions: AreWeCross
Fed remains optimistic.

Federal Reserve officials say they can cool down the economy without causing a recession. They admit that there are risks.

Jeanna Smialek
By Jeanna Smialek

Federal Reserve officials confront a world of rapid inflation, slowing growth and rampant uncertainty coming from turmoil abroad. In spite of all that, they are still predicting that they might be able to cool down the U.S. economy without tipping it into a painful recession.
Economists and markets are dubious, and even central bankers acknowledge that there are risks. But here are some of the reasons they have laid out for why they might be able to pull it off:
  • America has a strong job market. U.S. employers are still hiring at a solid clip, and the unemployment rate is near a 50-year low. “This gives us some room to maneuver to try to take care of the inflation problem as soon as we can, while the labor market is still strong,” James Bullard, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, said at an event in London on Tuesday.
  • Job openings are plentiful. Some economists think that the strong job market could provide a cushion, specifically because so many jobs are going unfilled right now. That might mean that job openings could fall as the economy slows — but without unemployment rising as sharply as it has historically amid declining demand. Jerome H. Powell, the Fed chair, called that possibility “plausible” at his news conference last week.
  • Inflation expectations are stable. Consumers’ longer-term inflation expectations have moderated recently. That's good news, because when consumers and businesses anticipate fast inflation, they can act in ways that make it more likely, such as asking for rapid pay increases or instituting regular price changes. The continued stability gives officials hope that price increases will not be as difficult to stamp out as they were in the 1980s, for instance.
  • Still, the risks are real. Several Fed officials have pointed to the turmoil abroad — the war in Ukraine, lockdowns in China and uncertainty in Britain — as a threat that could draw the United States into recession. It is also hard to guess how today’s rapid rate increases will play out over time, because their full effect takes a while to show up. And supply chains, while improving, could always become tangled again.

• The Fed’s approach offers “a path for employment stabilizing at something that still is not a recession,” Charles Evans, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, said on Tuesday during an interview on CNBC Europe. “But there could be shocks.”
A soft landing is optimistic when fiscal policy and energy policy are the main drivers of inflation, and when food prices are rising faster than consumer goods. People have to eat. Raising interest rates doesn't solve rising food prices.

Fed remains optimistic.

Jeanna Smialek
By Jeanna Smialek

Gold.
These guys have nailed it the last few years.

Reactions: ICHerky
A soft landing is optimistic when fiscal policy and energy policy are the main drivers of inflation, and when food prices are rising faster than consumer goods. People have to eat. Raising interest rates doesn't solve rising food prices.
The Fed is trying to kill the one truly bright spot in the economy right now, which is employment. If it can't inflation will likely continue. I think it will succeed, causing a recession and substantial unemployment in the next year or two. At the same time, families should prepare for continued inflation until after that occurs, including a 17% increase in home heating costs this winter over last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT