ADVERTISEMENT

More draining of the swamp... Space Force edition

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
As an update to this by @cigaretteman ,

Looks like the latest is Trump pulling Space Force head quarters FROM Colorado (voted against him) and moving to create a new base in Alabama (clearly who they voted for).

Im sure the usual will say it aint so, but come on man....

"Huntsville compared favorably across more of these factors than any other community, providing a large, qualified workforce, quality schools, superior infrastructure capacity, and low initial and recurring costs," the Air Force said in a news release.

HAhahahaha. qualified workforce? quality schools? I could see low initial and recurring costs as a potential valid reason, but weight in annual hurricane season. Ask Tindall, guess it forces them to rebuild and update facilities more frequently than most bases.

Looks like the latest is Trump pulling Space Force head quarters FROM Colorado (voted against him) and moving to create a new base in Alabama (clearly who they voted for).

"Huntsville compared favorably across more of these factors than any other community, providing a large, qualified workforce, quality schools, superior infrastructure capacity, and low initial and recurring costs," the Air Force said in a news release.

HAhahahaha. qualified workforce? quality schools? I could see low initial and recurring costs as a potential valid reason, but weight in annual hurricane season. Ask Tindall, guess it forces them to rebuild and update facilities more frequently than most bases.
I did t read the article but Huntsville does have quite a bit is space industry and qualified folks to work there.

I did t read the article but Huntsville does have quite a bit is space industry and qualified folks to work there.

I don't disagree with that, they have been desperate to expand what they have because thats the only game in town. Go visit, you can almost tangibly tell where the existing space folks live and the drop off is obvious.

If it wasn't for the base, that area would be just like the rest of Alabama. With a couple small exceptions.

Would you move your family to Huntsville? I certainly wouldn't. <unless i lived in Mississippi>

Reactions: NoleATL
Here's hoping Biden dissolves SF and merges ops back into Air Force. Call it a money saver.

He won’t because being proactive in Space is a necessity. Don’t let your politics get in the way of clear thinking.
The Air Force already had responsibilities in this area. Should have just expanded the scope of that.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Short sighted
Nonsense. This is just turning it into a turf war/creating several more levels of military bureaucracy. Most anti-sat weapons are on AF planes and Navy ships. Who's going to be in charge of those? Leave it as a responsibility/sub branch of the AF. It will eventually be folded back in anyway, better do it now before it becomes it has a monster redundant budget of its own.

The Air Force already had responsibilities in this area. Should have just expanded the scope of that.

I used to agree, but have come around to the unique and special things that space presents vs being within the atmosphere. Esp as more countries are moving equipment (an inevitably military functionality) beyond our atmosphere.

Now, if you want to start cutting costs and looking at budgets, you would have a better chance at the debate of why all the forces have their own air capability, or why the Army and Marines are both ground and pound (with independent air support). But the degree of difference between the Army/Marines being on land is much smaller than the difference between in and out of the atmosphere. Or even since Baywatch has the beach, why not fold the Coast Guard into the NAVY? :)

Space Force. JFC. The Fool is gone, so let's quit playing childish games.

This. Probably a pretty good choice. Colorado certainly has a big air Force presence but space-wise, Huntsville probably makes sense. Plus it's HQ, I imagine troops will be all over, just as they are now.

Meh. Seems like they will have to buy up some land in Alabama, versus using available land in Colorado already under the control of DoD. I also wonder about having something physically close to Cheyenne Mountain, which I assume would be a component of SF at some point in the future.

The Space Force is a terrible solution to a very real problem—so it’s very much in line with pretty much every Republican policy initiative over the last 50 years. Increasing organizational layers and adding another branch when the military is actively trying to integrate warfighting capabilities is a tremendously bad idea.

Reactions: srams21
Republicans ran ads in Colorado bragging about bringing all those jobs here.

Oops.

The airforce has been active in space, including weaponizing, since the 1950s. Anyone who doesn't understand that is being foolish. The Boeing xb37, a space asset, is controlled by the usaf. The whole point of Vandenberg AFB and the Johnston atolls and Kwajelein are to monitor usaf assets not to mention norad. Trump is a fing moron.

08b_fm2016_2014_674dayssef14-12246-006_live.jpg

The airforce has been active in space, including weaponizing, since the 1950s. Anyone who doesn't understand that is being foolish. The Boeing xb37, a space asset, is controlled by the usaf. The whole point of Vandenberg AFB and the Johnston atolls and Kwajelein are to monitor usaf assets not to mention norad. Trump is a fing moron.

08b_fm2016_2014_674dayssef14-12246-006_live.jpg
0.0 chance of Trump rewarding a state that was so unfair to him like California. Edwards could have been viable, too. Access to tech firms and lots of available room.
If Trump owned a resort on Kwajalein I could have seen him putting SF there.

0.0 chance of Trump rewarding a state that was so unfair to him like California. Edwards could have been viable, too. Access to tech firms and lots of available room.
If Trump owned a resort on Kwajalein I could have seen him putting SF there.
Joe needs to reverse a whole bunch of deranged shit.

He won’t because being proactive in Space is a necessity. Don’t let your politics get in the way of clear thinking.

There's actually been a call for this since the Clinton years. The problem is, since this administration was completely incapable of doing anything competantly the reasons why a space force was necessary was never effectively communicated to the American people and we were pretty much left with "Trump wanted it so it's good, or Trump wanted it so it's bad". Probably the way Trump wanted it. Plus, the name is fuggin stupid. I mean, Space Marines is so much more awesome than "Space Force". Seriously, video games have been trial ballooning names for years. Just sad.

Nonsense. This is just turning it into a turf war/creating several more levels of military bureaucracy. Most anti-sat weapons are on AF planes and Navy ships. Who's going to be in charge of those? Leave it as a responsibility/sub branch of the AF. It will eventually be folded back in anyway, better do it now before it becomes it has a monster redundant budget of its own.

Should we just call the troops we drop ship into China’s moon base during the Third Taiwanese War for Independence Marines and call it a day?

In defense...Huntsville is not “typical” of Alabama or “”The South”...Basicly, Huntsville is a creation of the Federal Government and NASA space program. High rate of college and college plus degrees, above average incomes and modern, high tech industries as a result.
However, make no mistake about it...this is Trump acting typically Trump....punishing those against him and rewarding those who support him.....dare I say my President is a walking, talking advertisement for “Quid pro quo”....

Reactions: funksouljon
Should we just call the troops we drop ship into China’s moon base during the Third Taiwanese War for Independence Marines and call it a day?
No, we put the billion$ we will be wasting to build new barracks, rec centers, swimming pools, and cafeterias, hiring thousands new bureaucratic staffing accountants, secretaries, lobbyists, and dozens of new generals and paper pushers, instead directly into new weapon system research and acquisition.

We are running a $1 trillion deficit not including covid spending. The bill is coming due, and defense is going to get hit. The last thing we need to be throwing away money on new uniform and flag designs for a new branch, and building a brand new base at the same time we are shutting down others. Military waste at its worst.

The CG acts domestically and has legal authority over all US waterways. The Navy is barred from doing that.

I guess the Baywatch comment and the smiley were missed to imply sarcasm?

And the point of the post was IF budgetary concerns were the issue, there are more similar support spheres than an atmosphere vs vacuum.

In defense...Huntsville is not “typical” of Alabama or “”The South”...Basicly, Huntsville is a creation of the Federal Government and NASA space program. High rate of college and college plus degrees, above average incomes and modern, high tech industries as a result.
However, make no mistake about it...this is Trump acting typically Trump....punishing those against him and rewarding those who support him.....dare I say my President is a walking, talking advertisement for “Quid pro quo”....

You didn't even know the phrase quid pro quo until the liberal media threw it into your face and made it a thing! Besides, its not a crime, its a business tactic. If you would buy the book and read, you would know. So much winning you don't even realize how much winning you are getting. ;)

There's actually been a call for this since the Clinton years. The problem is, since this administration was completely incapable of doing anything competantly the reasons why a space force was necessary was never effectively communicated to the American people and we were pretty much left with "Trump wanted it so it's good, or Trump wanted it so it's bad". Probably the way Trump wanted it. Plus, the name is fuggin stupid. I mean, Space Marines is so much more awesome than "Space Force". Seriously, video games have been trial ballooning names for years. Just sad.

I've said it before, he is so ham-fisted and such a crappy communicator, even when he has a good idea and is right (the few times) he doesn't know how to express himself in a way to get his opponents to see his perspective. Greatest negotiator ever? hmmm.

Reactions: BioHawk
Psssst! That recruiter was lying...

Not if the recruiter was for the Air Force, they always had the best bases...

In related news, Space Force Season 2 will be filming next year.

God I hope they keep making jokes about Trump, it was always funny to see comedy predict reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT