ADVERTISEMENT

More history gone...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The area was established as a public square in 1857 by Isaiah Hart, founder of Jacksonville. After Hart's death in 1861 and the end of the Civil War, the Hart family deeded the land to the city for $10. It was first known as "City Park", then "St. James Park" after the grand St. James Hotel was constructed across the street in 1869. The following year, another major hotel was built across from the park.

The area was renamed Hemming Park in 1899 in honor of Civil War veteran Charles C. Hemming, after he installed a 62-foot (19 m)-tall Confederate monument in the park in 1898.[3] Hemming was born in Jacksonville. He later moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado and became a banker, making a fortune.[1] The memorial is the oldest in the city and was the tallest at the time.[2] An occurrence in February 1896 brought lasting change to St. James Park. At the state reunion of United Confederate Veterans (UCV) in Ocala, Charles C. Hemming announced his plan to erect a memorial in honor of Florida’s Confederate soldiers. Members of the local Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans immediately invited Hemming to a reception in Jacksonville, which was attended by many prominent citizens. After moving from St. Augustine to Jacksonville at the age of two, Hemming grew up in the City, and local officials hoped that he would select Jacksonville as the site for the monument.

Hemming viewed several possible locations and expressed a preference for the center of St. James Park, where the fountain stood. Though reluctant to replace the popular fountain, the City’s Board of Public Works later gave its approval.

A committee of the Robert E. Lee Camp managed the memorial project. But newspaper accounts appear to indicate that Hemming personally selected the monument, which was then approved by various committees of the UCV.

George H. Mitchell of Chicago, Illinois – a designer, manufacturer, and contractor for artistic memorials – provided the monument. It cost approximately $20,000, and was a joint gift from Charles Hemming and his wife, Lucy Key Hemming, a native of Texas.

The City moved the fountain to the northwest section of St. James Park, and George Mitchell traveled to Jacksonville and supervised installation of the monument in the spring of 1898, during the Spanish American War. At that time, the Springfield section of the City contained thousands of American troops living in a tent city known as Camp Cuba Libre.

The unveiling ceremony took place on June 16, 1898, and coincided with the reunion in Jacksonville of the UCV’s Florida Division. Hemming donated the monument to the State of Florida, and Governor William D. Bloxham accepted the memorial on behalf of the state.

Though Hemming did not attend the dedication, General Fitzhugh Lee, the nephew of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, was in the reviewing stand, and the grandson of Union General Ulysses S. Grant watched the unveiling from the piazza of the Windsor Hotel. In addition, both northern and southern troops from Camp Cuba Libre attended the ceremony, and much of the oratory concerned the reuniting of the North and South.

The monument rises sixty-two feet from a square foundation. A column, extends up from the base (both made of Vermont granite), and is topped by the bronze figure of a Confederate soldier in winter uniform. He stands at ease, with hands clasping the barrel of his rifle that rests on the ground, and on his cap are the initials, “J.L.I.”, representing the Jacksonville Light Infantry.

Bronze plaques, with images of Southern heroes sculpted in relief, are mounted on three sides of the base: A bust of Confederate General Kirby Smith on the north; a scene of Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson with their drum corps on the west; and a bust of General J.J. Dickinson, commander of the UCV’s Florida Division on the south.

Confederate Memorial in Hemming Plaza On the east side of the base is a plaque with the following inscription, most likely written by Charles Hemming:

TO THE SOLDIERS OF FLORIDA This shaft is by a comrade raised in testimony of his love, recalling deeds immortal, heroism unsurpassed. With ranks unbroken, ragged, starved and decimated, the Southern soldier for duty’s sake, undaunted, stood to the front of the battle until no light remained to illumine the field of carnage, save the luster of his chivalry and courage. Nor shall your glory be forgot, While fame her record keeps, CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL 1861-1865 About Charles C. Hemming: Charles C. Hemming was the son of Englishman John C. Heming (spelled originally with one “m”), who moved to Jacksonville in the mid 1840s, and worked both in the real estate business and as a bookkeeper. He also held a variety of public offices, including town auctioneer and City Councilman, and following his death in 1886, was buried in the Old City Cemetery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemming_Park

Confederate statue in Florida is removed in predawn hours

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Confederate statue that had been in a northeast Florida park for more than a century was removed in the predawn hours Tuesday ahead of a protest demanding racial equality.

The statue of a Confederate soldier had sat atop a 62-foot (19-meter) monument memorializing Confederate soldiers in downtown Jacksonville’s Hemming Park next to City Hall until it was removed before dawn without any announcement from city officials.

Mayor Lenny Curry had previously avoided taking a stance on the divisive issue of honoring the Confederacy on public property, according to the Florida Times-Union.

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette was leading a protest Tuesday outside of City Hall to call for racial justice following the death of George Floyd, who pleaded for air while a white Minneapolis police officer put his knee on the handcuffed black man’s neck for several minutes. At the start of the protest, Curry said other Confederate statues would be coming down. One such statue, “Women of the Southland,” in another Jacksonville park was splattered with red paint over the weekend.

“The confederate monument is gone, and the others in this city will be removed as well,” Curry said. “We hear your voices. We have heard your voices.”

The long-running debate over whether Confederate monuments are appropriate in public spaces intensified after white supremacists converged on Charlottesville in 2017, in part to protest the city’s attempt to move a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Some who want to preserve Confederate monuments say they are works of art and say their removal would amount to erasing history. Critics say they inappropriately glorify a legacy of racism and slavery.

https://apnews.com/5b3ee956baf2423c37bb0267515dd990

You know you are right, I was just reading about the civil war and Robert E Lee on Wikipedia and when they pulled that monument out the whole article just disappeared as though it had never existed.

To be honest I've forgotten what the Civil war was and who Robert E Lee was because the monument is gone.

History is not gone as long as you can read a book or access the internet. All that’s gone is a symbol of oppression.

Both sides of my family served in the Confederate army including one who was in a famous unit called Mosby’s Rangers. My great great grandfather on my mom’s maternal side was a Cherokee and fought under Stand Watie in the 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles. I had several direct line relatives who fought in the Army of Northern Virginia. That doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about them or that I can’t follow them in history books or family books. It just means I don’t have to be a dick and remind black people for no good purpose that some of my ancestors may have owned some of theirs.

They are symbols that hurt and oppress even to this day just like the Nazi symbols. And I see no need to insult my equals.

Yes, let's keep monuments to racists traitors so we can pawn over the "good ole days"!

Maybe email Germany with your plans to erect a Hitler statue. Personally, because of my fond memories of the Cosby show, I'm going to hang a poster of Bill on the wall in my office.

Last edited:
CHAPTER 267
HISTORICAL RESOURCES
267.011 Short title.
267.021 Definitions.
267.031 Division of Historical Resources; powers and duties.
267.061 Historic properties; state policy, responsibilities.
267.0612 Florida Historical Commission; creation; membership; powers and duties.
267.0617 Historic Preservation Grant Program.
267.062 Naming of state buildings and other facilities.
267.0625 Abrogation of offensive and derogatory geographic place names.
267.071 Historical museums.
267.0731 Great Floridians Program.
267.074 State Historical Marker Program.
267.0743 State Historical Marker Council.
267.075 The Grove Advisory Council; creation; membership; purposes.
267.076 Confidentiality of certain donor information related to publicly owned house museums designated as National Historic Landmarks.
267.081 Publications.
267.11 Designation of archaeological sites.
267.115 Objects of historical or archaeological value.
267.12 Research permits; procedure.
267.13 Prohibited practices; penalties.
267.135 Location of archaeological sites.
267.14 Legislative intent.
267.145 Florida network of public archaeology centers.
267.16 Florida Folklife Programs.
267.161 Florida Folklife Council.
267.17 Citizen support organizations; use of state administrative services and property; audit.
267.172 Tallahassee; Florida Keys; contracts for historic preservation.
267.173 Historic preservation in West Florida; goals; contracts for historic preservation; powers and duties.
267.1732 Direct-support organization.
267.1735 Historic preservation in St. Augustine; goals; contracts for historic preservation; powers and duties.
267.1736 Direct-support organization.
267.011 Short title.—This act shall be known as the “Florida Historical Resources Act.”
History.—s. 1, ch. 67-50; s. 42, ch. 86-163.
267.021 Definitions.—For the purpose of this act, the term:
(1) “Division” means the Division of Historical Resources of the Department of State.
(2) “Agency” means any state, county, or municipal officer, department, division, board, bureau, commission, or other separate unit of government created or established by law.
(3) “Historic property” or “historic resource” means any prehistoric or historic district, site, building, object, or other real or personal property of historical, architectural, or archaeological value, and folklife resources. These properties or resources may include, but are not limited to, monuments, memorials, Indian habitations, ceremonial sites, abandoned settlements, sunken or abandoned ships, engineering works, treasure trove, artifacts, or other objects with intrinsic historical or archaeological value, or any part thereof, relating to the history, government, and culture of the state.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/Chapter267/All

Well, the good news is all this social upheaval, focus on statue removal, and the game of which Presidential hopeful will say the stupidest thing today keeps us from talking about the issues...wondering what's at stake next cycle: 2nd Amendment? Universal Healthcare? Trade? ...na, let's talk about statues.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
giphy.gif

Somehow it's still known that the property was originally established as a public square by Isiah Hart, and was later known as both City Park and St James Park - despite the fact that the original fountain was removed to build the traitor's/Confederate memorial statue.

Maybe you don't need a statue to remember history.

Not until we design an actual education system and not indoctrination factories.

Me and Billy the Kid never got along
I didn't like the way he cocked his hat
And he wore his gun all wrong
We had the same girlfriend
And he never forgot it
She had a cute little Chihuahua
Until one day he up and shot it
He rode the hard country down the New Mexico line
He had a silver pocketwatch that he never did wind
He crippled the piano player
For playin' his favorite song
No, Me and Billy the Kid never got along

I didn't like the way he parted his hair
He was bad to the bone
All hopped up on speed
I would've left him alone
If it wasn't for that Senorita
He gave her silver and he paid her hotel bill
But it was me she loved and she said she always will
I'd always go and see her
When Billy was gone
Yeah, Me and Billy the Kid never got along

I didn't like the way he tied his shoes
One day I said to Billy
I've got this foolproof scheme
We'll rob Wells Fargo
It's bustin' at the seams
I admit that I framed him but I don't feel bad
Cause the way I was livin' was drivin' me mad
Billy reached for his gun
But his gun was on wrong
Yeah, Me and Billy the Kid never got along

But I did like the way he swayed in the wind
While I played him his favorite song
Now my baby sings harmony with me
To La Cucaracha
She winds her silver pocket watch
And pets her new Chihuahua
I moved in to the hotel and got a room with a shower
We lay and listen to that watch tick hour after hour
Outside I hear the wind
Blowin' o so strong

The area was established as a public square in 1857 by Isaiah Hart, founder of Jacksonville. After Hart's death in 1861 and the end of the Civil War, the Hart family deeded the land to the city for $10. It was first known as "City Park", then "St. James Park" after the grand St. James Hotel was constructed across the street in 1869. The following year, another major hotel was built across from the park.

The area was renamed Hemming Park in 1899 in honor of Civil War veteran Charles C. Hemming, after he installed a 62-foot (19 m)-tall Confederate monument in the park in 1898.[3] Hemming was born in Jacksonville. He later moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado and became a banker, making a fortune.[1] The memorial is the oldest in the city and was the tallest at the time.[2] An occurrence in February 1896 brought lasting change to St. James Park. At the state reunion of United Confederate Veterans (UCV) in Ocala, Charles C. Hemming announced his plan to erect a memorial in honor of Florida’s Confederate soldiers. Members of the local Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans immediately invited Hemming to a reception in Jacksonville, which was attended by many prominent citizens. After moving from St. Augustine to Jacksonville at the age of two, Hemming grew up in the City, and local officials hoped that he would select Jacksonville as the site for the monument.

Hemming viewed several possible locations and expressed a preference for the center of St. James Park, where the fountain stood. Though reluctant to replace the popular fountain, the City’s Board of Public Works later gave its approval.

A committee of the Robert E. Lee Camp managed the memorial project. But newspaper accounts appear to indicate that Hemming personally selected the monument, which was then approved by various committees of the UCV.

George H. Mitchell of Chicago, Illinois – a designer, manufacturer, and contractor for artistic memorials – provided the monument. It cost approximately $20,000, and was a joint gift from Charles Hemming and his wife, Lucy Key Hemming, a native of Texas.

The City moved the fountain to the northwest section of St. James Park, and George Mitchell traveled to Jacksonville and supervised installation of the monument in the spring of 1898, during the Spanish American War. At that time, the Springfield section of the City contained thousands of American troops living in a tent city known as Camp Cuba Libre.

The unveiling ceremony took place on June 16, 1898, and coincided with the reunion in Jacksonville of the UCV’s Florida Division. Hemming donated the monument to the State of Florida, and Governor William D. Bloxham accepted the memorial on behalf of the state.

Though Hemming did not attend the dedication, General Fitzhugh Lee, the nephew of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, was in the reviewing stand, and the grandson of Union General Ulysses S. Grant watched the unveiling from the piazza of the Windsor Hotel. In addition, both northern and southern troops from Camp Cuba Libre attended the ceremony, and much of the oratory concerned the reuniting of the North and South.

The monument rises sixty-two feet from a square foundation. A column, extends up from the base (both made of Vermont granite), and is topped by the bronze figure of a Confederate soldier in winter uniform. He stands at ease, with hands clasping the barrel of his rifle that rests on the ground, and on his cap are the initials, “J.L.I.”, representing the Jacksonville Light Infantry.

Bronze plaques, with images of Southern heroes sculpted in relief, are mounted on three sides of the base: A bust of Confederate General Kirby Smith on the north; a scene of Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson with their drum corps on the west; and a bust of General J.J. Dickinson, commander of the UCV’s Florida Division on the south.

Confederate Memorial in Hemming Plaza On the east side of the base is a plaque with the following inscription, most likely written by Charles Hemming:

TO THE SOLDIERS OF FLORIDA This shaft is by a comrade raised in testimony of his love, recalling deeds immortal, heroism unsurpassed. With ranks unbroken, ragged, starved and decimated, the Southern soldier for duty’s sake, undaunted, stood to the front of the battle until no light remained to illumine the field of carnage, save the luster of his chivalry and courage. Nor shall your glory be forgot, While fame her record keeps, CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL 1861-1865 About Charles C. Hemming: Charles C. Hemming was the son of Englishman John C. Heming (spelled originally with one “m”), who moved to Jacksonville in the mid 1840s, and worked both in the real estate business and as a bookkeeper. He also held a variety of public offices, including town auctioneer and City Councilman, and following his death in 1886, was buried in the Old City Cemetery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemming_Park

Confederate statue in Florida is removed in predawn hours

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Confederate statue that had been in a northeast Florida park for more than a century was removed in the predawn hours Tuesday ahead of a protest demanding racial equality.

The statue of a Confederate soldier had sat atop a 62-foot (19-meter) monument memorializing Confederate soldiers in downtown Jacksonville’s Hemming Park next to City Hall until it was removed before dawn without any announcement from city officials.

Mayor Lenny Curry had previously avoided taking a stance on the divisive issue of honoring the Confederacy on public property, according to the Florida Times-Union.

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette was leading a protest Tuesday outside of City Hall to call for racial justice following the death of George Floyd, who pleaded for air while a white Minneapolis police officer put his knee on the handcuffed black man’s neck for several minutes. At the start of the protest, Curry said other Confederate statues would be coming down. One such statue, “Women of the Southland,” in another Jacksonville park was splattered with red paint over the weekend.

“The confederate monument is gone, and the others in this city will be removed as well,” Curry said. “We hear your voices. We have heard your voices.”

The long-running debate over whether Confederate monuments are appropriate in public spaces intensified after white supremacists converged on Charlottesville in 2017, in part to protest the city’s attempt to move a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Some who want to preserve Confederate monuments say they are works of art and say their removal would amount to erasing history. Critics say they inappropriately glorify a legacy of racism and slavery.

https://apnews.com/5b3ee956baf2423c37bb0267515dd990
Defund the police!!!*

*(not the thought police: they might come in handy for awhile)

Reactions: William Bonney
Meh. Couldn’t care less. My family’s roots didn’t take hold here until the early 1900’s.

Maybe they can store it in that big warehouse where they put the Ark of the Covenant.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Do we have a bunch of statues of King George III or General Cornwallis around the country?
There is a statue of George Washington in Trafalgar Square in London. The English don’t appear to have a problem with history.

EDIT: Trad just beat me to it.

Reactions: h-hawk

The Left's intentional ignorance of American history
By Roger Taylor

It has become fashionable among the socialist Left to denigrate the founding of America. A popular theme is that our founders simply did not want to pay more taxes. People think the phrase "no taxation without representation" proves their point. I am sure that as loyal collectivists, they feel that our wealthy founders were not taxed enough. But that notion of no taxation without representation was not invented by the colonial Americans. This was a long established tradition in England, believed to have been extant since the Magna Carta. The colonists considered themselves loyal British citizens and entitled to the same rights as those in the mother country. The Stamp Act that was passed was frankly illegal and was rescinded just four months later. The amount of tax was trivial. But imposing the tax was viewed as an impingement on their rights as British citizens. The right for you and your representative to control the purse of government was part of the rights to freedom. Passing this tax without the consent of those governed was a sign of the potential for removing all of their rights. The intolerable acts that followed and the incompetence and arrogance of King George III fed into the revolt.

To put this in perspective, the English constitution at that time had no written form like our later U.S. Constitution. It was all based on legal precedent, and that precedent agreed with the colonists. An equivalent in America today would be if Congress passed a law to eliminate the Bill of Rights. It would be illegal even if signed into law by the president. I would expect every loyal American to rebel.

Another popular meme about America's founding is that it was all based on slavery and racism and that we are still a racist country. People claim that our Constitution is a racist document. This is a common polemic of that ersatz Latino, so-called Beto. This is either willful ignorance or despicable lying: Beto seems to forget that slavery was legal in all of the world at that time, and there were some slaves in all the colonies.

By the middle of the 18th century, before the American Revolution, there were as many African slaves in some Southern states as white Europeans. There was also a growing disquiet about this whole institution of bondage. There were as many abolitionist societies in the South as in the North. Our Founders, many of whom had slaves, believed that slavery should be abolished but seemed helpless about how to accomplish this.

Many years later, Frederick Douglass, a great orator, abolitionist, and former slave, was asked to condemn the U.S. Constitution as a racist document to satisfy his abolitionist friends. He had by this time visited Europe and seen other governments in action. He read all of the Federalist Papers and all the arguments from the constitutional convention. He also studied the Declaration of Independence. He concluded, much to the chagrin of his benefactors, that our Constitution is an anti-slavery document. It has all the words necessary for the beginning of the end of slavery.

Among Douglass's arguments was that no document that wanted to perpetuate slavery would contain language that spelled its doom. The Constitution put a twenty-year limit to the slave trade. He also understood that the document did not relegate slaves as being three fifths human. That was a compromise for apportionment. The South had wanted to count their slaves as citizens for apportionment but as property otherwise.

Sadly, we had to undergo a Civil War to abolish slavery. Never forget that England and the United States of America were the first two countries in world history to abolish slavery.

So for those naysayers who hate America, we began as a beacon of freedom for the whole world. I would say the socialists among us need a lesson in American history. But I am sure that personal freedom for all Americans is not their goal.

LOL! Sure it is.

I’m sure Indian reservations all over the US are filled with statues of Andrew Jackson.
He served in the British Military as a colonel. Wanting to make themselves feel better about losing.
Indian Reservations prefer Waylon Jennings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT