More NIL craziness

Camhawk2012

HR All-State
Nov 13, 2020
So now kids are threatening to transfer if they don’t get more money. But schools cant manage NIL so I guess these kids are threatening auto dealerships and businesses. This is insane

bagdropper

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2002
Major collegiate sports as we know them are ending right before our eyes.

Oh there's still going to be the conferences and schools, but eventually each program will have a "sponsor" or "owner" so to speak. A single person or entity that takes care of the pay for the programs individually, negotiates amounts for every player, etc.

Hell, coaches and recruiting...that might effectively go by the wayside, at least in the classical sense.

What I'd truly fear is the days schools decide it's all too sordid and throws in the towel dropping basketball and football altogether. You know...why are "we" paying for the scholarships.

cjnoles9399

HR Heisman
Oct 9, 2002

Oh there's still going to be the conferences and schools, but eventually each program will have a "sponsor" or "owner" so to speak. A single person or entity that takes care of the pay for the programs individually, negotiates amounts for every player, etc.

Hell, coaches and recruiting...that might effectively go by the wayside, at least in the classical sense.

What I'd truly fear is the days schools decide it's all too sordid and throws in the towel dropping basketball and football altogether. You know...why are "we" paying for the scholarships.
I’ve been saying for years that eventually football will eventually become “club” teams with their own governing entity and a relationship with the schools for facilities, licensing and such. Now, which “schools” can afford such a setup will still be determined but we know who the front runners are to the new normal in CFB.

NoleinATL

HR Legend
Oct 29, 2006
This situation is because of Miami's benefactor and how public he has been about the NIL deals he has brokered. The majority of the collectives are keeping numbers quiet to avoid scenarios that put current players in a position to be jealous of an "announced" deal.

Papas wants everyone to know what he is doing, well it is about to cost him money or a player

Hondo_11

HR All-State
Mar 15, 2022
So now kids are threatening to transfer if they don’t get more money. But schools cant manage NIL so I guess these kids are threatening auto dealerships and businesses. This is insane

Isn't liberalism a wonderful thing?!

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
The NCAA had over 20 years to figure out some sort of system for this but they refused. So, this is where we are. It's only a matter of time before there is a new pro-league. USFL and XFL, whatever. The real threat to the NFL is when these conferences create their 70 team super-league and suddenly they start letting players stick around for 6 or 7 seasons and pays them accordingly. The NFL needs to work out a deal with the colleges to become the farm league of sorts to maintain a semblance of the current system.

onlyTheObvious

HR Heisman
Jan 3, 2021
Very isolated cases. These players making noise are boat rockers and maybe the coaches and school need to say “thanks but no thanks” to some of them.

they all can’t go to one or two schools. If they want to play pro they need playing time.

I did read that the entire all conference team for the Missouri Valley entered the portal and some from second team. No idea if that’s 100% accurate but these small conferences are turning into what Junior Colleges use to be.

Tom Paris

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
I'm slowly losing interest over college athletics. It's too bad but if they feel that this new model is in their best interest and want to turn into a semi-pro league then good for them.
I have already spent more money on pro sports in the last year than I have in the previous 10. With one kid in Milwaukee and another in KC, I expect that to continue. I'll pay to watch paid elite players, not paid pretty good players.

Aardvark86

HR MVP
Jan 23, 2018

The king is dead, long live the king.

You're right. It's like colleges are effectively have to have someone comparable to a "general manager" in pro sports. PSU is in the middle of hiring a new AD. It was fascinating to read some of the press coverage as the names were leaking. Coaches talking about the need for an incoming AD to "understand what we're up against" in terms of NIL competition, etc.

West Duval Nole

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2013
Jacksonville
This situation is because of Miami's benefactor and how public he has been about the NIL deals he has brokered. The majority of the collectives are keeping numbers quiet to avoid scenarios that put current players in a position to be jealous of an "announced" deal.

Papas wants everyone to know what he is doing, well it is about to cost him money or a player
Couldn't happen to a better program. FMFFM!

onlyTheObvious

HR Heisman
Jan 3, 2021
The NCAA had over 20 years to figure out some sort of system for this but they refused. So, this is where we are. It's only a matter of time before there is a new pro-league. USFL and XFL, whatever. The real threat to the NFL is when these conferences create their 70 team super-league and suddenly they start letting players stick around for 6 or 7 seasons and pays them accordingly. The NFL needs to work out a deal with the colleges to become the farm league of sorts to maintain a semblance of the current system.
Nothing they could do. Not even huge schools can afford to pay every student athlete enough cash. Too many non revenue sports.

NIL was the best solution, keeps the university out of it and every man/woman for themselves. Also kept them clear of an avalanche of Title IX lawsuits.

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole

West Duval Nole

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2013
Jacksonville
keeps the university out of it and every man/woman for themselves.
Who do you consider the University?

The AD and the coaches are not going to be staying out of it. NIL has turned into inducements to get recruits and transfers which was not the intent of NIL. NIL was supposed to be for players to take advantage once they are on a team and have actually accomplished something at a university. Not legalizing bagmen to get recruits and now transfers.

onlyTheObvious

HR Heisman
Jan 3, 2021
Who do you consider the University?

The AD and the coaches are not going to be staying out of it. NIL has turned into inducements to get recruits and transfers which was not the intent of NIL. NIL was supposed to be for players to take advantage once they are on a team and have actually accomplished something at a university. Not legalizing bagmen to get recruits and now transfers.
The school itself cannot pay the athlete. What is going on with NIL is no different than a basketball player working at McDonald’s on weekends. Completely separate.

what don’t you understand? Do some people think this is school revenue going to the athletes?

its like the AD posting fast food jobs in the athletic department office. Except these jobs are big money for a few elite athletes and hot girls.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole

HawkeyeGenius

HR All-American
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2021
I posted this on the football board. If this Twitter account is to be believed then it sounds like a breakaway division is coming. Also has some NIL offers being given. NIL is all it discusses as of lately. If true then it's the end of college athletics as we know it.

WorldSeriesChamps2015

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2017
China
The crooked NCAA is getting what they deserve. Sorry folks, this is all on the NCAA. They MADE BILLLLLLIONS AND BILLLIONS off these players. That is what they did. OMG they get scholarships though, herp derp, get outta here with that BS. They don't get a chance to work per NCAA rules, they get meals though, wow congrats! They get boarding as well! Wow congrats! All that while the NCAA is displaying these guys all over national tv and making billions OFF OF THEM.

Is Wong being a tool bag with this? Yes, because he agreed to an NIL deal. So, no, he should not be making more than what he agreed to. But this whole, OMG it's ruining the sport, all the Elite recruits are going to now going to the elite schools NOW! Iowa is Effed! Wait, when did Iowa get the elite recruits again? Oh okay. Nuff said Boomers.

ThorneStockton

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2009
I'm kind of surprised by the whininess here. Is it because of the sense and expectation of a lack of fairness? Or is it just a principled stand that college athletics should be student first, for the love of the game and school, amateur only?

WorldSeriesChamps2015

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2017
China
I'm kind of surprised by the whininess here. Is it because of the sense and expectation of a lack of fairness? Or is it just a principled stand that college athletics should be student first, for the love of the game and school, amateur only?

These people think that since they aren't making that much, then these people can't make that much either. It's pettiness.

Reactions: millah_22

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
I posted this on the football board. If this Twitter account is to be believed then it sounds like a breakaway division is coming. Also has some NIL offers being given. NIL is all it discusses as of lately. If true then it's the end of college athletics as we know it.

Would there be a secondary breakaway division (and 3rd tier)? And where would you want Iowa to land? I really don't know my answer to the second question - seems futile to be in the 1st division with 24 teams.

West Duval Nole

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2013
Jacksonville
The school itself cannot pay the athlete. What is going on with NIL is no different than a basketball player working at McDonald’s on weekends. Completely separate.

what don’t you understand? Do some people think this is school revenue going to the athletes?

its like the AD posting fast food jobs in the athletic department office. Except these jobs are big money for a few elite athletes and hot girls.
The schools will set up a structure so that they are not the ones paying the athlete. But their employees will most certainly be involved in it. State laws vary and some states are at a disadvantage with the laws they have. Florida is looking to change that so their universities can be on a level playing field. The NCAA is worthless in punishing schools for violations of the using NIL in a way that it is not intended to be used.

So money that goes to say a booster organization that technically isn't part of a university however they raised funds for the university for athletics and facilities. So if you consider those facilities part of the school and the revenue/donations generated to pay for those school revenue. Well guess what? Some of that revenue will now be re-directed to inducing recruits and keeping players at the school.

And the comparisons you provided are not even in the same ballpark. Those are legitimate jobs that for the most part have a market rate whether you are an athlete or not. The NIL deals are just creating BS jobs (which in some cases are not really jobs, just paying people because they are part of the team or a position group) in an effort to induce recruits and transfers and keep existing players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Im4Iowa

HawkeyeGenius

HR All-American
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2021
Would there be a secondary breakaway division (and 3rd tier)? And where would you want Iowa to land? I really don't know my answer to the second question - seems futile to be in the 1st division with 24 teams.
They also posted this. No clue if they actually are in the know or full of shit.

onlyTheObvious

HR Heisman
Jan 3, 2021
The schools will set up a structure so that they are not the ones paying the athlete. But their employees will most certainly be involved in it. State laws vary and some states are at a disadvantage with the laws they have. Florida is looking to change that so their universities can be on a level playing field. The NCAA is worthless in punishing schools for violations of the using NIL in a way that it is not intended to be used.

So money that goes to say a booster organization that technically isn't part of a university however they raised funds for the university for athletics and facilities. So if you consider those facilities part of the school and the revenue/donations generated to pay for those school revenue. Well guess what that some of that revenue will now be re-directed to inducing recruits and keeping players at the school.

And the comparisons you provided are not even in the same ballpark. Those are legitimate jobs that for the most part have a market rate whether you are an athlete or not. The NIL deals are just creating BS jobs (which in some cases are not really jobs, just paying people because they are part of the team or a position group) in an effort to induce recruits and transfers and keep existing players.
Who decides when a job is legit? You?

point is no player will be getting a check/w2 from the school.

let’s say nil didn’t happen. If Iowa wanted to give each student athlete $15000 they would need about $10,000,000 a year. If they didn’t give each athlete the same money the lawsuits would fly.

NorthDSMHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 24, 2016
Ankeny
Read the page. According to them the higher ups at Wisconsin and a lot of Big Ten schools are no go with NIL.
Not buying it. I really doubt the AD at UofI is really all in on the NIL breakaway league. If for some odd reason they're entertaining it, I hope they say FU and stick with the other programs staying behind. Let Nebraska, UM, and OSU leave.

I can't see programs like MSU and Nebraska being ok getting their ass kicked every year in the new league though. Someone's got to be bottom bitch and it ain't going to be OSU/UM.