ADVERTISEMENT

More NIL craziness

They also posted this. No clue if they actually are in the know or full of shit.

I would say full of shit. Seems the person creates theories and retweets himself over and over.

The alignment they suggested has 5 ACC schools that are under a restrictive grant of rights that lasts until 2036. Now maybe it is true all the money could make that GOR go away, but there is no way Tobacco Road is going to allow schools to leave them behind without a fight and inclusion into some super mega great breakaway conference.

Damn liberal ass free market! LET'S GET 'EM BOYS! THEY TOOK OUR JERBS!

giphy.gif

Reactions: runkpanole
It is what it is but I’m glad the athletes can get paid. This won’t last forever until donors realize that they’re burning money and nobody is impressed that some of these athletes are endorsing their products. There’s not too many nfl or nba players that I see in advertisements, 95% of these guys aren’t marketable

It is what it is but I’m glad the athletes can get paid. This won’t last forever until donors realize that they’re burning money and nobody is impressed that some of these athletes are endorsing their products. There’s not too many nfl or nba players that I see in advertisements, 95% of these guys aren’t marketable
Excuse me, PMac has Falbos stock through the roof and Petras sucks as much as Pancheros, so there's that.

You all seem to be arguing over the fairness of NIL. But I think it’s okay for someone to both say that people, including college athletes, have a right to profit from their name and likeness while also admitting that it makes college sports a lot less attractive for many people. When all but the top schools with the biggest and wealthiest donor bases have no hope of competing at the highest level, it means a lot fewer people will care. And when it’s no longer a traditional amateur model, then it loses its appeal versus the pros. If I’m going to watch paid athletes, I’d prefer to watch the best ones, not second rate ones. There is a reason they don’t build 50,000 seater triple A baseball stadiums.

Yeah, NIL and the transfer portal are the fair things to do. But it also means that my interest in college sports has dropped off a cliff and my interest in pro sports has risen dramatically. I suspect I’m not the only one and that as college sports more and more resembles a minor league system, that lots of people will feel the same.

Who do you consider the University?

The AD and the coaches are not going to be staying out of it. NIL has turned into inducements to get recruits and transfers which was not the intent of NIL. NIL was supposed to be for players to take advantage once they are on a team and have actually accomplished something at a university. Not legalizing bagmen to get recruits and now transfers.
this was the rub from the get go. The value these players have is mostly because of the university, not the other way around.

You all seem to be arguing over the fairness of NIL. But I think it’s okay for someone to both say that people, including college athletes, have a right to profit from their name and likeness while also admitting that it makes college sports a lot less attractive for many people. When all but the top schools with the biggest and wealthiest donor bases have no hope of competing at the highest level, it means a lot fewer people will care. And when it’s no longer a traditional amateur model, then it loses its appeal versus the pros. If I’m going to watch paid athletes, I’d prefer to watch the best ones, not second rate ones. There is a reason they don’t build 50,000 seater triple A baseball stadiums.

Yeah, NIL and the transfer portal are the fair things to do. But it also means that my interest in college sports has dropped off a cliff and my interest in pro sports has risen dramatically. I suspect I’m not the only one and that as college sports more and more resembles a minor league system, that lots of people will feel the same.
People don't watch AAA because the don't care about that brand. People care about Iowa/Texas/Miami more than they do the players. I would watch an Iowa baseball game over AAA or any major league game, even though they aren't as good. Same goes for G league. I'm not watching luka or joe w play those games.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Thats what makes these whiny phucks about NIL deals hilarious. They deep down don't care about it, they only reason they say they care is because since they don't make that kind of money, then nobody should. It's pettiness.
My only concern about NIL is the trickle down to non revenue sports. Iowa wrestling will be fine because it's an institution. Thinking more in terms of gymnastics, track & field, swimming/diving, etc. That's where the real damage may come.

My only concern about NIL is the trickle down to non revenue sports. Iowa wrestling will be fine because it's an institution. Thinking more in terms of gymnastics, track & field, swimming/diving, etc. That's where the real damage may come.
Those sports are mostly gone anyways. And wrestling isn't safe. Don't be foolish.

Definitely, all of them should be getting a cut of it. Every athlete deserves it.

I know some of the women athletes find this all completely unfair because they are being left out, like what was predicted. This MOSTLY benefits the men.

ADVERTISEMENT