ADVERTISEMENT

More NIL craziness

Thats what makes these whiny phucks about NIL deals hilarious. They deep down don't care about it, they only reason they say they care is because since they don't make that kind of money, then nobody should. It's pettiness.
Because you know? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Something that has been my favorite thing my entire life is being ruined. Because like everything else in America...it's all about the dollar.

Sports in general are almost becoming hard for me to watch.

$$$$$
Nothing else but $$$$

Paying baseball players $400 million dollar contracts, but the MLB still has blackout restrictions.

Sports in general are almost becoming hard for me to watch.

$$$$$
Nothing else but $$$$

Paying baseball players $400 million dollar contracts, but the MLB still has blackout restrictions.
In we overwhelming wealthy Iowans lose out on watching 6 teams due to those stupid blackouts. I've just switched to watching more pros. This last year was the first time in my life I watched more random NBA games than college games. I watched 3-4 Iowa games start to finish and ZERO other games other than a few minutes. But I hear you. It's insane how much owners and players make in major sports. Don't we have pitchers who earn a million bucks a start at this point?

These "athletes" need to give up financial aid and scholarships.
I think there probably needs to be something like that.

Choose NIL money and pay your own way. Or choose a 4 year scholarship guarantee.

Scholarship option guarantees your tuition, room and board, meals and even a spending stipend for 4 years. Transfer rules should be changed also if they choose that option. No transfer unless there is a head coach, position coach or coordinator change while you are there. Otherwise sit out a year at transfer. Unless you have graduated. Team also can not pull your scholarship due to injury or poor performance on the field.

If you choose NIL, then you pay for all your own stuff, can transfer every year if you would like and school can also kick you out for poor performance on the field.

No they shouldn't. NIL deals aren't through the university. The athletes aren't allowed to work and make money in the 4-5 years they are there.
Do you understand why there are rules about working? So boosters can’t funnel money to them. Granted with NIL they should get rid of the rule now.

Specifically talking about football here. When would they actually work? Between school and football it’s like having a full time and part time job even two full time jobs already.

The crooked NCAA is getting what they deserve. Sorry folks, this is all on the NCAA. They MADE BILLLLLLIONS AND BILLLIONS off these players. That is what they did. OMG they get scholarships though, herp derp, get outta here with that BS. They don't get a chance to work per NCAA rules, they get meals though, wow congrats! They get boarding as well! Wow congrats! All that while the NCAA is displaying these guys all over national tv and making billions OFF OF THEM.

Is Wong being a tool bag with this? Yes, because he agreed to an NIL deal. So, no, he should not be making more than what he agreed to. But this whole, OMG it's ruining the sport, all the Elite recruits are going to now going to the elite schools NOW! Iowa is Effed! Wait, when did Iowa get the elite recruits again? Oh okay. Nuff said Boomers.
This. The NCAA was greedy and this is the fate they will suffer. I have zero issues with kids leveraging themselves to get what they are worth. Some will prosper, some will get burned, and that's life.

Do you understand why there are rules about working? So boosters can’t funnel money to them. Granted with NIL they should get rid of the rule now.

Specifically talking about football here. When would they actually work? Between school and football it’s like having a full time and part time job even two full time jobs already.

I completely understand that and that is why having an NIL is a good thing. They can't work and that is what people that are against NIL don't get. These guys can't make money for themselves. They don't have the time during the season and in the off-season, they still aren't able to.

And I know you and your family are going to be going through this as well with your son. Tell him to keep doing what he is doing and take it all in and enjoy the process. He's 2024, correct?

I think there probably needs to be something like that.

Choose NIL money and pay your own way. Or choose a 4 year scholarship guarantee.

Scholarship option guarantees your tuition, room and board, meals and even a spending stipend for 4 years. Transfer rules should be changed also if they choose that option. No transfer unless there is a head coach, position coach or coordinator change while you are there. Otherwise sit out a year at transfer. Unless you have graduated. Team also can not pull your scholarship due to injury or poor performance on the field.

If you choose NIL, then you pay for all your own stuff, can transfer every year if you would like and school can also kick you out for poor performance on the field.

You think the FSU softball team should have to give up their scholarships because they have a team-wide deal with Madison Social to sell some shirts and get free food?

I understand that NIL deals have some people uneasy and the addition of the collectives has certainly ramped up the nefarious portion but let's not demean the entire practice of NIL deals. NIL deals can be a huge benefit for college students who play sports and have every legal right to earn from their fame.

I completely understand that and that is why having an NIL is a good thing. They can't work and that is what people that are against NIL don't get. These guys can't make money for themselves. They don't have the time during the season and in the off-season, they still aren't able to.

And I know you and your family are going to be going through this as well with your son. Tell him to keep doing what he is doing and take it all in and enjoy the process. He's 2024, correct?
Yes, he’s a ‘24. We’re enjoying the process, but praying this NIL crap doesn’t impact him before he gets through school. If he gets a full scholarship and graduates before this implodes I’ll be happy. We already know some asking about it in the recruiting process.

You think the FSU softball team should have to give up their scholarships because they have a team-wide deal with Madison Social to sell some shirts and get free food?

I understand that NIL deals have some people uneasy and the addition of the collectives has certainly ramped up the nefarious portion but let's not demean the entire practice of NIL deals. NIL deals can be a huge benefit for college students who play sports and have every legal right to earn from their fame.

You just made some people mad, bro!

Reactions: NoleinATL

I don’t think anyone is against it in that manner. It’s the obscene amounts of money a few are getting that aren’t really NIL. But if some billionaires want to throw around money who am I to argue, it could be going to many different and worse things.

Major collegiate sports as we know them are ending right before our eyes.
Totally believe this. I've not followed NIL much but wow...

"Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car."

Yes, he’s a ‘24. We’re enjoying the process, but praying this NIL crap doesn’t impact him before he gets through school. If he gets a full scholarship and graduates before this implodes I’ll be happy. We already know some asking about it in the recruiting process.

He just has to keep doing what he is doing. Hopefully it doesn't implode and hopefully once things settle down, NIL will have more of a structure to it. This should have been in the works long before it came to Fruition(is that the correct word) so things could have been done better instead of this cluster. It's a cluster, but I think as we go more into NIL days, things will be more structured and they can get rules and regulations on it.

I don’t think anyone is against it in that manner. It’s the obscene amounts of money a few are getting that aren’t really NIL. But if some billionaires want to throw around money who am I to argue, it could be going to many different and worse things.

I know, my issue is the use of such a broad brush when the discussion is really about college football and to a lesser extent basketball.
Reportedly a collective that is in Knoxville Tennessee has given a QB from California ( where high school contracts are legal) 8 million to sign with the collective. Further, this contract reportedly has language that outlines the collective is purchasing the guy's NIL. This means he could sign with Tennessee, and he could transfer, but his NIL would still be "owned" by the collective so he would be unable to capitalize further on his NIL.
This is the part where NIL gets ugly, and rightfully has to be addressed, but let's not punish everyone for what in reality is a very small portion of college athletes.

The resolution, IMO, would be federal legislation that had some real teeth behind enforcement for any pay for play-related contracts, but that is unlikely.

Not to mention, the issue becomes much more cloudy when NLRB approves the two cases in front of them, then eventually SCOTUS upholds those cases deeming certain college athletes employees. The discussions about unions, insurance and salary should be interesting.

Reactions: Hawkdiver

That is absolutely true and it is true for every sport. The wrestlers(and swimmers, track athletes, baseball players, etc) are working just as hard as the football and basketball players and are getting a partial ride so they also get to take out loans to pay their way. NIL is good so that they can run camps or sign autographs to help offset their expenses. But it's become something crazy and the kids who need it most are not going to be the ones who benefit the most. As is the case in most of life.

Reactions: MossHawk6

Ok so make it for football and men's basketball as that is the most abused.

Reactions: NoleinATL
No they shouldn't. NIL deals aren't through the university. The athletes aren't allowed to work and make money in the 4-5 years they are there.
Why do people keep repeating this? This is absolutely false. Not only are they allowed to work, they are allowed to take out student loans for living expenses.

As much as I love Iowa football, Ive drifted farther and farther from it over the years. Not so much what’s happening with NIL, but the whole system has been a mess for a long time. its boring watching the same blue bloods in the title games every year. Not to mention the joke that are the bowl games and it’s just not interesting like it used to be. NIL is just another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned. NFL is where it’s at. At least your team has a reasonable chance at winning the whole thing, college, not so much.

Are there any rules for NIL money going to parents? I mean, can a parent get $100 k for steering their kid to a program? This whole thing is going to expand the cesspool of college athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT