ADVERTISEMENT

More parity: CFB or WBB

Jul 11, 2017
China
Since College football is basically turning into womans college basketball where all they have are the same fewish teams playing for a national title, which sport has more parity? There is no point anymore to doing these football playoffs, just go back to the BCS. Or hell, go back to the system before the BCS. These games are always ass kickings, 10 of the 14 semifinal games have been decided by 17+ points, 4 of the 7 national titles have been asskickings of 17+ points. More than half of the winners in these games are scoring 40+. The same 3 then toss in a 4th team to round out the playoffs. It’s getting dumb.

Btw, between TOSU, Bama, Jawja, BlowU and Clemson, 19 of the top 30 recruits are going to one of those schools and 47 of the top 100 are going to one of those schools lololol

There is more parity in college football, we just don’t see it because of this stupid 4-team playoff format. Go to 8 or 16 and you’ll see more parity emerge.

These games are always ass kickings, 10 of the 14 semifinal games have been decided by 17+ points, 4 of the 7 national titles have been asskickings of 17+ points.
This is actually the bigger issue IMO.

You have the same teams (Alabama, Clemson, OSU) almost every year which I can stomach. What makes it worse is the games are basically over by Halftime. I want a variety of teams in the hunt, but even more than that I want to see a good game.

There is more parity in college football, we just don’t see it because of this stupid 4-team playoff format. Go to 8 or 16 and you’ll see more parity emerge.
Solid post. It's really difficult for even a great team to win 3 or 4 games in a row against very good teams. On the other hand, that really demonstrates the gap between the great WBB programs and the next tier.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Solid post. It's really difficult for even a great team to win 3 or 4 games in a row against very good teams. On the other hand, that really demonstrates the gap between the great WBB programs and the next tier.
Alabama just destroyed ND and OSU. You could have them play Clemson next week and it would be just as ugly as last night.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Alabama just destroyed ND and OSU. You could have them play Clemson next week and it would be just as ugly as last night.
Expanding the playoffs just gives Bama (LSU last year) more games to shit on teams. More banners for the “best of the rest”.

There have been legitimate gripes from teams with a case for being the fourth playoff team. But every year, the 4th playoff team just ends up being cannon fodder for one of the finalists.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
I actually sat back for a little bit last night without my Bama-hating glasses on, and enjoyed watching their offense work. They would probably roll the '05 USC greatest team ever' by 21 points.

We don’t need to expand the playoffs, we need to go with 75 scholarships. MAYBE diluting the talent more will help?
Is Bama still really bad about pulling players' scholarships after a year or two and recycling them? Like they're really a set of 4 1yr scholarships a player can get?

I think if you reduce the number of scholarships a team can offer, and make them all binding for 4 years*, you'd see a lot more parity.

*Assuming the kid went to school, passed classes, was on the team attending practices, meetings, etc. Maybe add a 5th year that doesn't count against the total # players, but lets a kid finish undergrad.

Also, if you went to 8 or 16-game playoffs you could end up having more high NFL draft prospects skipping the playoffs, since their chances of getting injured during the playoffs goes up. That could further increase parity as teams potentially have to replace key pieces.

Since College football is basically turning into womans college basketball where all they have are the same fewish teams playing for a national title, which sport has more parity? There is no point anymore to doing these football playoffs, just go back to the BCS. Or hell, go back to the system before the BCS. These games are always ass kickings, 10 of the 14 semifinal games have been decided by 17+ points, 4 of the 7 national titles have been asskickings of 17+ points. More than half of the winners in these games are scoring 40+. The same 3 then toss in a 4th team to round out the playoffs. It’s getting dumb.
The point of the 4 team playoff was bc of undefeated 3rd place teams being left out, therefor it’s already doing it’s job better than the BCS. We’re just in a cycle of Clemson, Ohio state and Alabama.

Reactions: srams21

I'm hoping this is just a short blip on that part at least where both LSU and Alabama was just so stacked at the skill positions they were unbeatable. Ohio State had to play a perfect game to even have a chance last night, and ND never had a shot.

We’re just lucky we didn’t have to play them.

idk, I'd have loved to have seen us play USC/Miami/OSU without that extra two week layoff. Kirk also admitted that the way he allowed the team to scatter and then arrive separately in Miami didn't help.

Both Miami and USC that year were ridiculously stacked. I think 75% of that USC team we played ended up getting at least a cup of coffee in the NFL.

The point of the 4 team playoff was bc of undefeated 3rd place teams being left out, therefor it’s already doing it’s job better than the BCS. We’re just in a cycle of Clemson, Ohio state and Alabama.

On the one hand this is partly cyclical and it's becoming a self-fulfilling policy at this point. Outside this past year, Clemson has rarely been pushed in the ACC, and the SEC is trying so desperately to catch up. I would actually like to see everyone play their bowl games first, and THEN go to either a 4 or 8 team playoff.

Not even close. They played in a crap conference with only 2 other ranked teams. Beat one of the worst UF teams ever.

That being said, they played in the last great national title game. That was fun to watch.

Also, if you went to 8 or 16-game playoffs you could end up having more high NFL draft prospects skipping the playoffs, since their chances of getting injured during the playoffs goes up. That could further increase parity as teams potentially have to replace key pieces.

People are going to do what they’re going to do. I have no interest in passing on a playoff system because a handful of guys might opt out. Only a handful opt out and we have not seen widespread opt-outs from playoff teams. Remember that this is also an opportunity for a guy to showcase against top competition as well.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
People are going to do what they’re going to do. I have no interest in passing on a playoff system because a handful of guys might opt out. Only a handful opt out and we have not seen widespread opt-outs from playoff teams. Remember that this is also an opportunity for a guy to showcase against top competition as well.
Sorry - I was presenting it as kind of a positive that some teams like Bama might have star guys opt out if the playoffs had additional extra games, which could open the door for other teams to do well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT