ADVERTISEMENT

More Pre-Season All-American honors for Noah Fant

Apr 8, 2003
Noah Fant was named to the ESPN and AP preseason All-American teams today.

---

AP
https://apnews.com/90740b6d00634b148447f4cf6dceca8d

--

ESPN
Link: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lege-football-2018-preseason-all-america-team

TE: Noah Fant, Iowa

No tight end in the country had more touchdown grabs last season than Fant's 11 -- a total that also set a Big Ten record for the position. His 30 catches and 494 yards put him near the top of the board for tight ends, too, despite playing in an offense designed around the run game.

Last edited:
Something interesting about Bryce Love is he could probably be accepted into medical school. He currently aids in stem cell research in the biology department...at Stanford. Appears he will try the NFL first.

I wonder what A. Nelson does if the NFL comes calling.

Fake news. Montgomery not 1st team RB on either list.

OTOH, Pierschbacher is 1st team Center. Interesting since he hasn't played the position before.

Reactions: 24 so far
Here's Iowa's press release.

---

FANT NAMED AP FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICA

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa junior tight end Noah Fant has been named to the first team on The Associated Press preseason All-America team. The announcement was made Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Fant led all FBS tight ends in 2017 with an average of 16.5 yards per catch. He led Iowa and all FBS tight ends with 11 touchdown receptions and ranked second on the team with a career-high 30 receptions. Fant is one of six Big Ten Conference players named to the AP first unit.

Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell was named to the AP preseason first All-America team a year ago, while Jewell and defensive back Josh Jackson were named first-team AP All-Americans following the season.

Fant, a native of Omaha, Nebraska, was previously named to preseason first-team All-America squads by NFLDraftScout.com,Sporting News, and Athlon Sports. In addition, Fant was named to the Big Ten's preseason honors list and preseason watch lists for the John Mackey Award and Walter Camp Player of the Year.

Fant and the Hawkeyes open their season against Northern Illinois on Sept. 1. For ticket information visit hawkeyesports.com/fightforiowa.

Fake news. Montgomery not 1st team RB on either list.

OTOH, Pierschbacher is 1st team Center. Interesting since he hasn't played the position before.
He must be doing something right down there. Good for him, I guess. ;)

If Fant has a season statistically improved over last year, it would be easy to see him going round 2 or better in the draft.

You know who's the happiest to hear this?

TJ Hockenson.

Yep, he could be a beneficiary of opposing teams trying to shut down Fant. Or Smith/ISM/Easley or the running backs out of the backfield with IKM/Young/Mekhi and Nate throwing the ball to them. I like the weapons Iowa has on offense this year.

Imagine how good this team will be if Josh and James came back this year.

Last time we were hearing this level of hype was about Scherff back in 2014. Hopefully all the hype doesn't go to Fant's head.

The beauty of Fant’s numerous accolades is that even though he’ll be a marked man, Hock is also a beast. Some big gainers to T.J. in two-tight sets where all eyes fall on Fant will likely occur often this season.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Fant is off the charts and we are very fortunate to have a player of his talent level. Hock will leave Iowa as one of our top all time TE's. We have the best TE group in the country. Hope Fant has a season for the ages. 850yds 16 tds and goes top 10 in the Draft.

Fant is off the charts and we are very fortunate to have a player of his talent level. Hock will leave Iowa as one of our top all time TE's. We have the best TE group in the country. Hope Fant has a season for the ages. 850yds 16 tds and goes top 10 in the Draft.

Consensus, Mackey and a portrait in the football center. This is you, Noah Fant. Dooo it.

all this talk about TJ Hockensen being the beneficiary reminds me of the Dallas Cobwoys in the early '90s. I mean nobody could stop Emmett smith and Michael irvin, so there was this no-name receiver/tight end/whatever, that got a TON of catches that year. (I am not in any implying that TJ is a no-name, but just kind of interesting when you think about it). that no-name receiver became a free agent and it seems like everybody except Jerry Jones wondered how Dallas could let him get away, but jerry Jones knew that it was just becuase he was the "beneficiary."

ADVERTISEMENT