ADVERTISEMENT

Morningstar

I pray for Ryan and hope he’s alright.

I don’t understand why people are upset with Pat though. Yeah the guy is usually a douche, but I believe he is technically a news source. In the small little world of wrestling a lot of these coaches and wrestlers are mini celebrities, and you have to figure the assistant coach on the number 1 ranked team in the nation is included on that list. So when something like this happens it’s going to become news whether people want it to be or not. I’m not saying I agree with releasing the information but it comes with the job; every job has it’s cons.
Also one of Morningstars friends and a team connection put a pic of him and Morningstar along with an inspirational quote and Morningstar strong hashtag on Instagram days ago, so it was kind of out there to begin with anyways. Again I pray he’s alright but when stuff like this happens in our small community we can’t be surprised it becomes news.

Reactions: Goathead88
It seems like a good idea to let people know when one of our own is having trouble. What is next - we will complain when someone posts an obituary? It is not like he said "Hey, so and so had an STD or hemroids" The guy is reported to have had a stroke. We care about him and like to be in the loop. If he did not have a stroke, then it is sinister to have reported it.
Wishing M* the best and a full recovery.

unfortunately that privacy ship sails away when someone wants a job that involves them being a public figure. Like it or not Ryan is a local celebrity because of wrestling and is one of the faces of arguably the top wrestling program in college history. Internet aint talkin about all the kids he pinned who are now painting walls for a living in small town Iowa.

Ryan's a good dude and he will get through this better but thinking it wouldn't get out is a bit unrealistic.

I also get that he is likely embarrassed by a stroke at such a young age. Especially when he is still very fit.
Personally as tough as this is I would challenge Ryan to embrace this and become an advocate and let the public know that heart disease does not discriminate. He has a platform to educate and if he can save just one life.....

Make a positive out of this when Ryan is ready to.

unfortunately that privacy ship sails away when someone wants a job that involves them being a public figure. Like it or not Ryan is a local celebrity because of wrestling and is one of the faces of arguably the top wrestling program in college history. Internet aint talkin about all the kids he pinned who are now painting walls for a living in small town Iowa.

Ryan's a good dude and he will get through this better but thinking it wouldn't get out is a bit unrealistic.

I also get that he is likely embarrassed by a stroke at such a young age. Especially when he is still very fit.
Personally as tough as this is I would challenge Ryan to embrace this and become an advocate and let the public know that heart disease does not discriminate. He has a platform to educate and if he can save just one life.....

Make a positive out of this when Ryan is ready to.
No doubt. You have a high profile, public, job in 2020. Getting butt hurt that something like this is public is silly.

<<No doubt. You have a high profile, public, job in 2020. Getting butt hurt that something like this is public is silly. >>

No one said he was butt hurt about this-- he simply asked it be kept confidential-- and whoever knew did a great job of that for a longer time then I would have guessed-- I just respected his wishes. For this to be kept on the down low for the time it did is incredible in my own mind.

<<No doubt. You have a high profile, public, job in 2020. Getting butt hurt that something like this is public is silly. >>

No one said he was butt hurt about this-- he simply asked it be kept confidential-- and whoever knew did a great job of that for a longer time then I would have guessed-- I just respected his wishes. For this to be kept on the down low for the time it did is incredible in my own mind.
I agree.And Pat got ahold of it and put it out there like it happened yesterday.

was not saying Ryan was butt hurt. Only several posters on this thread.

<<It seems like a good idea to let people know when one of our own is having trouble>>

I agree..unless that person specifically requests it be kept strictly confidential.
I agree with that also. If he asked for it to remain confidential, then it is a total bush league move by PM.

Hoping for a speedy recovery. The unfortunate health issues relating to the program in the last couple years are a sobering reminder that these things can happen to anybody, even elite athletes.

Reactions: FanOHawk
Don't know how to answer this politically correct but here goes.....

It was a crappy thing for him to tweet out considering that it was something that would eventually come out but it definitely was NOT supposed to come out this way. There were a few people(wrestling websites) that knew but kept it close to their chest out of respect for Ryan. Ryan should have been able to let people know on his terms. Just something you don't do unless you ask him if he wants it public knowledge. But that's the world we live in today.

Mineo is an ahole but it's hard for me to understand why people are upset with him over this.

Mineo is an ahole but it's hard for me to understand why people are upset with him over this.

Simple. It IS the Iowa way. When it comes to health, I swear they truly believe that talking about it makes it real and you lose control over it. Like some type of mind over matter belief.

Now, in the extreme case of Sorensen, it obviously doesn't apply. But, they are more tight to the chest with health issues than any sports program I can remember.

With that said, my prayers are with Ryan. I hope for a 100% recovery and zero recurrence.

Reactions: el dub and Hawk_82
People are defending Mineo because he's a "journalist" however tweeting out info without sourcing or follow up is not journalism. At the minimum, you report that anonymous sources have stated that M* has had a stroke then you reach out through official channels to confirm these claims. I don't see any evidence that Mineo did that here.
All that said, HIPPA covers how medical institutions handle Protected Health Information. I don't believe journalists are prevented from publishing stories about individuals' health information because of that law.

People are defending Mineo because he's a "journalist" however tweeting out info without sourcing or follow up is not journalism. At the minimum, you report that anonymous sources have stated that M* has had a stroke then you reach out through official channels to confirm these claims. I don't see any evidence that Mineo did that here.

Anonymous? I thought people said above it had already been discussed on a public podcast/social media post. Don’t be mad at Mineo, be mad at those people who apparently let it get out first.

...But hope he makes a full recovery.

Mineo giving faux concern so he could "break" this and act like he is super close to the situation is really gross. Just another in the long line of pathetic actions this clown has taken.

This. He is at best, the GossipQueen of wrestling. He has some very solid source(s) inside our program and some others. However, he breaks news with his own editorial bent w/o both sides (see the ladies of HWC) input...this is critical for context. For example, I have heard this happened weeks ago and that M* is doing just fine. One of life's scares, but detected and hurdled with no impact on the program itself due to the Covid limiting factors going on within wrestling right now. To recap: 1)Old news 2)He's fine 3)No impact on his job/team. So really, it is just a leaking of somebody's medical info.

I probably should not post this due to all the concerns about privacy, but I can't keep it in any longer. Brody Grothus has a third arm. That is why he had such a tough time holding 141. He has kept it hidden and a secret for so long, but it is time to share. I hope he can overcome this obstacle and lead abnormal life.

I probably should not post this due to all the concerns about privacy, but I can't keep it in any longer. Brody Grothus has a third arm. That is why he had such a tough time holding 141. He has kept it hidden and a secret for so long, but it is time to share. I hope he can overcome this obstacle and lead abnormal life.
Nice!
And Lookleft has a third leg, but that's different. ;)

All that said, HIPPA covers how medical institutions handle Protected Health Information. I don't believe journalists are prevented from publishing stories about individuals' health information because of that law.
He is only concerned with being the first to report wrestling news.
Since we now know it was back in August, other journalists were privy to the story, they choose to respect a mans privacy.
The only matter of privacy Mineo is concerned about are his sources, whom shall always remain anonymous.

Just saw this on usa wrestling which is how I got the news. Glad he is reportedly doing well. Stroke is always a scary word to see listed and you don't know what the other side of recovery is going to be like. Thoughts are with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT