ADVERTISEMENT

Mosley's Barbecue to sell Iowa City location after serving downtown customers for seven years

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Mosley’s Barbecue and Provisions is selling its Iowa City location after seven years of serving pit-smoked ribs, sausage links and tasty sides to downtown customers.

The 1,645-square-foot building was put on the market in early November with an asking price of $200,000.

Located at 525 S. Gilbert St., Mosley’s Barbecue opened in 2015 at the former Old Capitol Brew Works space and brought Carolina-style barbecue to downtown customers.

Owner Sean Keller told the Press-Citizen on Friday that he has “a deep, personal connection” to the Iowa City location. After all, Mosley's is named after Keller's dog.

But the business, and Keller’s life, has evolved over the years.

In 2018, the barbecue restaurant opened a location in North Liberty, which is where catering operations have moved, Keller said.

Mosley's Barbecue and Provisions is seen in 2018 at 125 E. Zeller St. in North Liberty. That location will remain after the downtown Iowa City site has closed.

“It's just time for me to focus on the North Liberty location and work in and serve more closely the community where I live,” he said.

With more focus on the North Liberty location, the business will now be open on Tuesdays to make it a seven-day-a-week operation. In addition, Keller is planning to hold special events there in December and early next year, including a Creole cuisine festival and a Mardi Gras party.

I find this to be a bummer. 2 for 1 happy hour, a sausage link, and a side of sweet potato mash and you've got yourself a nice little afternoon / early evening. While I'll take as many BBQ restaurants as you can possibly fit into a couple square miles, I can see why having three (Jimmy Jack's, Pop's, Mosely's) within a couple miles of each other is a little overkill for Iowa City.

I only went there once… Several years ago when Iowa city hosted the Big Ten wrestling championships. I thought it was decent barbecue. The bacon in a jar was great.

I've found it to be good at times and not so good at others. Not sure why the inconsistency.

ADVERTISEMENT