ADVERTISEMENT

Moss, jbo, nunge, garza, and cook

Kurt Warner

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Loved this line up, should give this group as many minutes they want and can handle. Plus more daily. Jmo

Loved this line up, should give this group as many minutes they want and can handle. Plus more daily. Jmo
It pretty clear that Wagner is not a 3. We really lack perimeter threats when he and Cook are in the lineup together. Things will get better when we get a healthy Baer back. He is our energy guy who gets rebounds and loose balls who can also hit threes

I think it's obvious we haven't seen the "real" Iowa team yet, with all the injuries. No reason to believe we won't be better as the season goes along, unless other players get hurt.

When playing these 4 guard line ups I'd like to see Moss, Jordan, Dailey, & Nunge as much as possible on the floor.

Fran has some nice choices at the 3 position for starting lineups especially when Baer gets back.

Love that lineup also. Big, fast, and physical. Withgreat passing between 3 forward positions

Wagner = defensive presence, rebounding, energy
Nunge = pt of press, shooting, post passing, rebounding, FT for end of game
Baer Cage = Bird-like game
Uhl = bring the ball up, offensive rebounding

Last edited:
It pretty clear that Wagner is not a 3. We really lack perimeter threats when he and Cook are in the lineup together. Things will get better when we get a healthy Baer back. He is our energy guy who gets rebounds and loose balls who can also hit threes
And M. Dailey only receives 7 minutes of playing time??

I don’t disagree with you, at all. Last night around the 10 minute mark in the 1st half though, a platoon consisting of Nunge, Kreiner, Ellingson, Dailey, and Pemsl, I think, came in and stretched the lead into double figures.
A lot of sharing the ball during that stretch. Nunge, Kreiner, and Pemsl are all exceptional passers, and the high low post game, with a couple of nice assists from Brady, rocked the court. It was beautiful to see..... the way basketball is meant to be played. And their intensity on defense was outstanding as well. Love that bench!

Nunge certainly looked great last night. We have a good deep team. If C McC can consistently play at P5 level Hawks have a good reserve at every position.

Wagner is not going to get significant minutes (especially when Baer returns) because he can't score. Again, our recruiting has improved to point where guys like Uhl don't even see the floor. This is a good thing.

Wagner needs to go out for football or be studying really hard for his degree to prepare for life post college basketball. On a lickliter team he'd be our starting center, but with the current depth he really doesn't have a position where he is in the top 2.

If it is defense which is holding back Dailey and PT, he needs to buy in. He's got the quickness and length to be a backup at 2 and 3 position.

We traded last year's senior Hot/Cold Jok for Nunge/Garza. Nunge has spectacular upside and Garza is an upgrade defensively/rebounding over last year playing Pemsl/cook in post. I don't see how this Iowa team can't be a lot better as long as Moss/Bohannon stay healthy...Fran just has to figure the rotations/defense out.

I'm in agreement we can be better than last year, however most of the league contenders are too (outside of Wisky and Indiana.)

I like our depth over the course of the season
and think we have NCAA talent, but it's not a given for us. If our chemistry remains strong I think we'll get in. We have a lot of work to do on defense first. Minutes will be hard fought for in practice and that should help us get better.

Starting now it should be our starting lineup for the next 3 years. With the exception of Wieskamp if he just undeniably outplays Moss or Nunge.
Joe can play the 2 or 3 as can Moss, I really like what Nunge brings, but in my opinion he will be a far better Stretch 4, especially playing beside Garza.
there is a reason why Joe came out of the NIKE Top 100 Camps as the #3 SF and top 10 player in the NBPA Top 100 Camp.

what I like is that in 19 Patrick will come in as a 3 then the lineup gets even interesting. plus whoever Fran gets in the 2019 class, maybe top 100 PG Carton and top 50 F in Jackson-Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT