ADVERTISEMENT

Moss commits to Kansas

You realize if there were bad feelings involved, his dad would still have said the same stuff, right?
You don't publicly badmouth a school you're departing.

Well that's simply not true....could there be bad feelings? Of Course. Could they have chosen not to air those feelings? Of course. Could they have chosen to air those feelings? Absolutely. In this day and age that is certainly not even unusual anymore. They could have even chosen just a "no comment" etc....but they were actually complimentary in nature.

A coach, being a professional who is paid millions of dollars, would be much less likely to make negative comments....but not necessarily a player. The player or their parent could just as easily say nothing. In Isaiah's typical way, that's what I would have thought. He was usually a very quite guy and revealed very little in interviews just because he seemed quiet by nature.

Moss was an enigma. He had some great performances, but he had even more in which he disappeared. Hawkeye fans should wish him well and move on . . . IMHO.
Enigma is a term I used many times to describe Moss. Seemed to have the physical tools. Would completely go off at times against good teams, not just the dregs on the schedule.
Also, often dissappeared in games without any apparent reason. Was a complete non factor; sometimes for games in a row.
I could never understand how his performance could be as erratic as it was over the course of a season.

From what I have heard is Fran has offered Moss all he can offer as far as development goes. Moss has a big goal of making a career in basketball and with Iowa and Fran he has plateaued. A change was needed for Moss.
It is the same reason that you never get your Master degree and PHD from the same university- a person needs diversity of ideas.

I have no idea if CJ will be a great “shooting guard” but there is little doubt that he was an elite shooter coming in.

I hope Isaiah absolutely kills in next year. I honestly was surprised he stayed at Iowa how long he did because of the short leash Fran had with him. One bad stretch and he was done for 10-12 minutes at a time. Has to be frustrating for a kid that is talented and can get hot the way he can.

Isaiah averaged 3 minutes less per game than Joe W and 6 min less per game than Jordan B.

SIAP, but Moss has not graduated yet, which has to happen before he can officially transfer to Arkansas.

Moss has to take (and pass) summer courses at Iowa before he officially graduates from Iowa. Not sure if he will physically be in Iowa City or if he can move to Arkansas and take UI courses online.

Interesting development, at least to me. If he is still in Iowa City, I am guessing he can still put up shots at the practice facility?

Well that's simply not true....could there be bad feelings? Of Course. Could they have chosen not to air those feelings? Of course. Could they have chosen to air those feelings? Absolutely. In this day and age that is certainly not even unusual anymore. They could have even chosen just a "no comment" etc....but they were actually complimentary in nature.

A coach, being a professional who is paid millions of dollars, would be much less likely to make negative comments....but not necessarily a player. The player or their parent could just as easily say nothing. In Isaiah's typical way, that's what I would have thought. He was usually a very quite guy and revealed very little in interviews just because he seemed quiet by nature.

"No comment" is certainly a comment loud and clear. And it's not good.
You just don't badmouth a program unless some shit was really really bad.

How do you think that would sit with Arkansas?
You ever hired anyone?
Or even in a job interview?
Talking shit about your previous employer is a terrible look and a huge red flag.

Isaiah averaged 3 minutes less per game than Joe W and 6 min less per game than Jordan B.
Averages are great, but do not tell the whole story. Just comparing to Jordan last year alone. Jordan had one game where he played fewer than 20 minutes. (Alabama St)
Isaiah had 10 games in which he played fewer than 20 minutes including Michigan St, Wisconsin, Indiana and Rutgers. Wisconsin, he played 12 minutes and 14 against Michigan St. There were a handful others of 20-23 minutes where he sat long stretches.
I know guys have poor shooting nights or don't have it some nights but he would get buried on the bench for long periods especially in the second half.

You realize if there were bad feelings involved, his dad would still have said the same stuff, right?

Sometimes kids do love the school they were at, but want a change. I remember a lot of Iowa fans pretty excited to get James Butler. Butler loved Nevada, but wanted a change and a shot at BIG football. Everyone has their own reasons.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Averages are great, but do not tell the whole story. Just comparing to Jordan last year alone. Jordan had one game where he played fewer than 20 minutes. (Alabama St)
Isaiah had 10 games in which he played fewer than 20 minutes including Michigan St, Wisconsin, Indiana and Rutgers. Wisconsin, he played 12 minutes and 14 against Michigan St. There were a handful others of 20-23 minutes where he sat long stretches.
I know guys have poor shooting nights or don't have it some nights but he would get buried on the bench for long periods especially in the second half.
There were reasons why Moss sat. Multiple reasons. And they have already been documented in this thread.

Moss is a good player who had plateaued at Iowa. Maybe a change of scenery will help him, I don't know. But he wasn't getting better or even more consistent at Iowa.

Moss is a great outside shooter but he takes to much time to decide to shoot. he needs more space between him and the defender so he has more time. You're right, Moss needs a true PG that can drive and disrupt the defense. Our current PG's don't do that, but maybe the new guy can. Moss needs space and if he get's it at Arkansas, then he could have a great year. I don't think that's going to get him into the NBA though. The last two years he should have been working on being able to dribble drive.
Would say that Moss was a very good streaky shooter. He would go 4-5 in the 1st half then either go 0-4 or take only one 3 in the 2nd half and Fran would have to try to find help with the scoring

Similar to what I have heard. Fran always encouraged Moss to be more aggressive. He pretty much had freedom to drive and shoot whenever with only a few situational restrictions. Fran was hoping he would develop into a D Wade type player to match up with Cook surrounded by shooters. It just never really clicked.

Maybe the Arkansas coaches can pull it out of him but I don't he ever lacked the opportunity to excel under Fran

Exactly. The opportunities were there and they were plentiful.

you realize these 50 schools had an open spot so why not take a flyer on a kid who was a starter on a B10 team. I think he is going to be disappointed with how it turns out but who knows. Not like he was Steph Curry.
He could look like Steph Curry in stretches, then disappear. The first Illinois game was an amazing performance by Moss, but he was very inconsistent. I hope he finds what he is looking for as a Razorback.

"No comment" is certainly a comment loud and clear. And it's not good.
You just don't badmouth a program unless some shit was really really bad.

How do you think that would sit with Arkansas?
You ever hired anyone?
Or even in a job interview?
Talking shit about your previous employer is a terrible look and a huge red flag.
No kidding....that of course wasn't the case. And the point is that Isaiah's dad went out of his way to say good things about Fran and the program. It was quite different than talking shit or even no comment. That's the point. Players/transfers and especially parents do sometimes say negative things in this era of Melo Ball, DJK, etc.

One example from an article:
LaVar said LaMelo, who is still two years from gaining NBA draft eligibility, won’t return to the team next year. “You really ask me this?” he said, according to Urbonas. “Coach ruined everything and he’ll have to pay the price that Melo is not coming back.”

Yes...I have interviewed people and hired multiple times over a number of years.

Reading some articles seems Fran was clear with IM that he was not going to get more minutes and shots. Also clear he has penciled CJ Frederick in that spot. The Gazette yesterday who gets Moss minutes, it starts with CJ Frederick. Not sure IM saw a window of more pt and shots. Connor and Joe I’m sure will get more minutes as well. JoBo seems to be banged up so maybe less minutes to keep him fresher and more for Connor- JT.

Last edited:
He could look like Steph Curry in stretches, then disappear. The first Illinois game was an amazing performance by Moss, but he was very inconsistent. I hope he finds what he is looking for as a Razorback.
That is true, but you are talking about the whole team . Not just Moss. Thanks.

There were times when Moss looked like the best player on the floor...when he was on, he was on.
So...what is it with a player like him? I get that everybody has an off shooting night...but what makes a guy completely disappear for some games and look fantastic in others.

There were times when Moss looked like the best player on the floor...when he was on, he was on.
So...what is it with a player like him? I get that everybody has an off shooting night...but what makes a guy completely disappear for some games and look fantastic in others.

Moss played the entire 1st half vs ISU this past season and had 18 points at intermission. He played 11 minutes in the 2nd half and had 2 points to finish with 20. For some players, it's about confidence/aggressiveness.

Steph Curry Game 6 vs Houston last week ... 0 points in the 1st half, 33 points in the 2nd half. Happens to great players as well.

Moss had/has huge confidence issues. He was brilliant when he was on but fell apart mentally really quickly when he made a few mistakes.

Moss had/has huge confidence issues. He was brilliant when he was on but fell apart mentally really quickly when he made a few mistakes.

Agreed, it does appear he has major confidence issues and just doesn’t seem overall mentally strong in tough, high-level D1 basketball situations (please don’t annoying misconstrue that with me saying anything about his intelligence). That’s why it’s frustrating to see Fran getting called out for not giving Moss enough chances - he had plenty and Fran gave him the green light and encouraged him to be aggressive. The realty is Moss couldn’t usually take advantage of that and translate it into consistent success.

Also, it seems for some people on this board that being “the best player on the court” equates to being the highest scorer. Moss could be a big-time scorer but his deficiencies in most other parts of the game assured that he was not the best player on the floor.

I hope he figures some things out basketball-wise at Arkansas but he had ample opportunity to take the next step at Iowa.

Most coaches pull players for bad shots

Fran would consistently pull moss for PASSING UP shots. That’s how hard Fran was trying to get him to be aggressive.

I certainly think there is some validity to your thoughts.....but I think he got a rib injury early on. Having had cracked ribs I can tell you that those TAKE FOREVER to heal. I can also tell you that upon first injuring your ribs you can't sit, lay, move, cough, sneeze, or turn your body in any direction quickly without feeling significant pain.

So, what I am saying, is I can honestly see where CJ get's injured and misses a month of any real conditioning or playing. Then it takes a couple of weeks to get conditioning back, a little more time to get your timing back, all while adjusting as a freshman......so you start playing pretty well the last month or month and half of the season. I think that is a feasible scenario and a good reason to redshirt and not play even if he was a really good shooter and one of the better guards on the team. Let's hope he's that good.
I remember the only way I could sleep was with my shoulds on the arm of the coachwith my head almost over it. Kind of in a slouching half sitting sleep. A bed was impossible. And that was for 4 months.

Reactions: perryhawk
Sometimes kids do love the school they were at, but want a change. I remember a lot of Iowa fans pretty excited to get James Butler. Butler loved Nevada, but wanted a change and a shot at BIG football. Everyone has their own reasons.

This is very true also.

If he was scared of competing against Frederick, why did he transfer to Arkansas to compete with those players who are much more established?

The unknown? Maybe they over promised him. There could be many reasons. He faced Frederick every day in practice, so he knew exactly what he was going up against. It could be other reasons as well. Only a few people know for sure. But he’s the incumbent starter from a good team who was given many opportunities to get over that hump and establish himself.

Reactions: iahawks10
His dad also said that Moss wasn’t going to the BT because they didn’t want to disrespect Iowa.

That is a face-saving statement. Moss was denied admission at one BT school. Not a high enough gpa for grad program. (Basketball staff is really unhappy with admissions over it).

Reactions: skydog0784
His dad also said that Moss wasn’t going to the BT because they didn’t want to disrespect Iowa.

That is a face-saving statement. Moss was denied admission at one BT school. Not a high enough gpa for grad program. (Basketball staff is really unhappy with admissions over it).

So Illinois?

Was it ILL like Kedrick eluded to well before Moss declared he was transferring to?

Applying to grad school before finished a full semester and full summer class load?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT