ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impactful Injuries in Iowa History

Didn't he injure that in the 3 game of 2015 against Pitt? Seemed like he played the whole season with it
Turning this about on its head, what about injuries to Iowa opponents that had an impact? I think Clifford's injury last year probably cost PSU at least 2 games, maybe more.

It may or may not have cost Northwestern a chance at winning the 1996 Rose Bowl, but the injury to Pat Fitzgerald that cost him a chance to play in that game has probably haunted Iowa more than any opponent injury - he always seems to give Iowa a little extra.

Reactions: Ree4
Turning this about on its head, what about injuries to Iowa opponents that had an impact? I think Clifford's injury last year probably cost PSU at least 2 games, maybe more.

It may or may not have cost Northwestern a chance at winning the 1996 Rose Bowl, but the injury to Pat Fitzgerald that cost him a chance to play in that game has probably haunted Iowa more than any opponent injury - he always seems to give Iowa a little extra.
2003 Iowa vs. Michigan. Michigan had already lost 1 game out of conference by 4 points at Oregon but was #9 entering the weekend. Down 0-14, Nathan Chandler rolled out to the right and dived for the pylon to score a TD. In the process Michigan, and future NFL, DB Jeremy LeSueur tried to stop him, hurt his shoulder, and got pulled out for the rest of game and the following week. Iowa proceeds to complete the comeback and hold onto the win.

Michigan doesn't lose another regular season game climbing all the way up to #4 and being the highest rated 2 loss team in the country. Oklahoma and LSU finish with 1 loss each and at the top of the BCS standings. Would a 1 loss Michigan have been good enough to knock either 1 loss team out of the BCS championship? In Week 7, 5-1 Iowa was ahead of 5-1 LSU in the AP and Coach's polls. A 5-1 Michigan definitely would have been ahead of them at that point and they didn't do anything the rest of the season to let LSU pass them.

I also want to reference 2002 against Wisconsin where we knocked QB#1 and QB#2 out of the game for them. No national or conference repercussions, but it was interesting.

I'm old so my memory is fuzzy, but 2004? Iowa had a streak where the starting QB didn't finish the game. I have to assume that impacted some team's seasons.

2003 Iowa vs. Michigan. Michigan had already lost 1 game out of conference by 4 points at Oregon but was #9 entering the weekend. Down 0-14, Nathan Chandler rolled out to the right and dived for the pylon to score a TD. In the process Michigan, and future NFL, DB Jeremy LeSueur tried to stop him, hurt his shoulder, and got pulled out for the rest of game and the following week. Iowa proceeds to complete the comeback and hold onto the win.

Michigan doesn't lose another regular season game climbing all the way up to #4 and being the highest rated 2 loss team in the country. Oklahoma and LSU finish with 1 loss each and at the top of the BCS standings. Would a 1 loss Michigan have been good enough to knock either 1 loss team out of the BCS championship? In Week 7, 5-1 Iowa was ahead of 5-1 LSU in the AP and Coach's polls. A 5-1 Michigan definitely would have been ahead of them at that point and they didn't do anything the rest of the season to let LSU pass them.

I also want to reference 2002 against Wisconsin where we knocked QB#1 and QB#2 out of the game for them. No national or conference repercussions, but it was interesting.
Haha, that Wisconsin game was on my mind, but I couldn't remember who the opponent was and was going to ask about it. Iowa was definitely bullies of the Big Ten that year. PSU had something similar happen against Wisconsin in Madison in 2004 - both Zack Mills and Michael Robinson got knocked out of the game early.

Despite taking every weird twist and turn to eventually win anyway, knocking Kyle Orton out against Purdue in 2002 didn't hurt the cause. Their backup wasn't shabby either, but Orton might've finished that last drive instead of throwing a pick.

We took them to overtime with James Vandenberg. If Stanzi didn't get hurt we would have been (screwed out of) playing for the National Championship.
I was there and I agree. Stanzi makes the difference. You NEVER play for overtime on the road. DJK played his ass off.

The one that comes first to mind is Larry Ferguson. As a junior in 1960 he led Iowa to a Big Ten title share and was first team all-conference and all-America. In the first game of his senior season, he wrecked a knee and was done for the year. That was the first year Jerry Burns coaches and the team finished well down in the standings.

Losing Wilburn Hollis a couple of years later was bad, but I don't recall the details.
Banks in ‘02 v Cow College or Turf Tech if you will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT