ADVERTISEMENT

Most/Least Efficient Lineups

hawkeyefanatic84

HB MVP
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2010
Found this on twitter, most/least efficient lineups of the year. Based off these numbers I could see starting lineup being

PG- Gesell
SG- Clemmons
SF- Jok
PF- Uthoff
C- Woodbury

CA0WbwfUYAA5Jme.jpg

Yes, that will definitely be the lineup.

Uthoff will need to pick up some 4 duties, and unless Jok improves his passing we don't need him at guard.

the one subbing pattern this year that drove me bat sh#$t crazy was putting DOM and JO in at the same time. that just limited our offense way to dang much I didn't mind either 1 coming in once in awhile but man the 2 together was to painful to watch but again that poblem can no longer be the case going forward

I think that lineup is very likely to the start the season. If Uhl improves a lot in the offseason that could push Clemmons back to the bench. Otherwise, one of those freshman will have to very good from Day 1 to push Clemmons or Jok to the bench.

I think Uthoff will play a lot at the 4 next year. He's fine defensively there. And he will be a matchup nightmare for more traditional post players.

Uhl came in as a SF and Uthoff moved to the 4, Question do you always write freshman off like this?

OMFG Uhl didn't play like a 1 n done so he can't improve so lets write him off. this is why I am putting Uhl on my starting lineup as the SF.

what a lineup this will make

PG 6'2 Gesell backup 6'2 Clemmons and 6'6 Williams
SG 6'6 Jok backup 6'4 Ellingson/6'5 Moss/6'5-6 Feming
SF 6'8 Uhl backup 6'6 Hutton
PF 6'9 Uthoff backup 6'7 Wagner.
C 7'1 woodbury backup to be determined.

other than having a 6'10+ backup at center this a very long and athletic team that Fran has put together.

just as Basabe had a good FR year and White had a good FR. some FR seem to step in and has a good FR year. which of the new players will step up?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

Uhl came in as a SF and Uthoff moved to the 4, Question do you always write freshman off like this?

OMFG Uhl didn't play like a 1 n done so he can't improve so lets write him off. this is why I am putting Uhl on my starting lineup as the SF.
How am I writing off Uhl? Does this mean you're writing off Clemmons? Actually if you look at the lineups that I posted Uhl was the 4 and Uthoff was the 3. When did I or anybody else ever say anything about Uhl playing like a 1 and done player? Nobody has ever expected that of him. He had a good freshman year and is going to be a good player, just because I don't have him in my starting lineup doesn't mean I hate him. Just state your opinion, there's no need to make shit up and accuse people of writing players off because somebody has a different opinion than you.

I can see with the roster shaping up over the next couple years of not going with the traditional 1,2,3,4,5. I see next year a starting lineup of the 5 best players and making the other team matchup. My guess would be an experienced lineup of MG,PJ,JU,AW and either DU or AC to start the season. Fran will probably play 9 or 10 early and see who emerges from the newcomers. Certainly at least a couple will end up getting significant minutes. Fran has always played his experienced guys quite a bit (even when it might be counter productive) so I can't see any of the vets who have been rotation players sitting much more than they have in the past. I do think next years group of veterans will all be better than guys like McCabe, Basabe, and JO were the last 2 years...not a cut on those 3 but more a comment on the gradual uptick of overall talent. I like MG/AC sharing time at point guard. Solid and experienced. If they play smart and consistent -point guard should be a strength of the team. Both of those guys on the court at the same time limits the outside shooting threat. Hopefully they are decent shooters from the perimeter but after watching them for 3 years I have a hard time imagining them suddenly becoming top notch shooters who look for their shot.

By player......................

Season total +/-s: AWh +258, JU +244, MG +202, AC +158, GO +127, AWo
+122, PJ +121, JO +24, TD +19, BE +16, CR +8, KD +6, OU -1, DU -35.

All those claiming earlier in the year Uhl is going to be "special" need to come in from off the ledge.

Uhl has a nice skill set but this year was a struggle. His defensive breakdowns opened the floodgates against Gonzaga. But yes, people need to stop with the "special" declarations.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think that will be the lineup and may be a very good lineup offensively with good floor spacing. Uhl will be a good player off the bench with his versatility.

Both Pete and Dom are going to need to step it up mentally next year, or the Hawks are going to struggle. Both have really good skill sets, so there is plenty of room for improvement. We also need at least two of the incoming recruits to contribute, preferably on the interior.

OP starting lineup definitely makes most sense, based on this year's performance.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

what a lineup this will make

PG 6'2 Gesell backup 6'2 Clemmons and 6'6 Williams
SG 6'6 Jok backup 6'4 Ellingson/6'5 Moss/6'5-6 Feming
SF 6'8 Uhl backup 6'6 Hutton
PF 6'9 Uthoff backup 6'7 Wagner.
C 7'1 woodbury backup to be determined.

other than having a 6'10+ backup at center this a very long and athletic team that Fran has put together.

just as Basabe had a good FR year and White had a good FR. some FR seem to step in and has a good FR year. which of the new players will step up?

Shut up

Originally posted by QChawks:
A lot of JO on the inefficient list.

Just sayin.

Two best lineups were starters (Clemmons/Jok + everybody else). Worst lineup was the four core starters + JO. What is the one variable there? Hmmmmm

Originally posted by dawgs_04:

Just sayin.

Two best lineups were starters (Clemmons/Jok + everybody else). Worst lineup was the four core starters + JO. What is the one variable there? Hmmmmm

And the best part is JO lineup is also towards the top if you take out Woody and bring in Gabe.

I don't know if Uhl will be "special" but I still think he'll be very good.

I think he benefits more than anybody on the team from an off-season of weight training. If he packs on 8-10 lbs I think we see a much better player.

As far as the offensive efficiency numbers...when he came in either our #1 or #2 scorer went out....he was also teamed with JO on the floor many times so those numbers were going to be low for him. I also think he was on a bit of a short leash this year...needed minutes from him to give AW or JU a rest but Fran probably emphasized 1) not turning the ball over 2) defense with him....he was never a real offensive option and Fran wasn't looking for him to be one this year.

The expectation is different next year. I think Fran will emphasize him taking his shot and quite frankly I think we see a different player. He'll go from a "don't mess up and hold down the fort" mentality to "we need you to contribute" mentality.

I just like what I saw out of him and definitely see potential...but he needs to get stronger.

Just sayin.

One variable is you don't know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by Wood4Hawks:

Just sayin.

One variable is you don't know what you're talking about.

Way to tell me I'm dumb but not bother explaining why

Originally posted by mpls_hawki:
By player......................

Season total +/-s: AWh +258, JU +244, MG +202, AC +158, GO +127, AWo
+122, PJ +121, JO +24, TD +19, BE +16, CR +8, KD +6, OU -1, DU -35.

All those claiming earlier in the year Uhl is going to be "special" need to come in from off the ledge.
I think you need to rethink what metaphor to use.

Off the ledge means one has already jumped. People "metaphorically" go to the ledge when something is dire, not special. If you had used a 'kool-aid' metaphor or 'unicorns and princess party' metaphor you would have made a better point.

That being said, I think Uhl will be a fine player for Iowa. Maybe not all conference, but a versatile and athletic player who could potentially end up with numbers similar to those like JR Koch.

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:
Uhl has a nice skill set but this year was a struggle. His defensive breakdowns opened the floodgates against Gonzaga. But yes, people need to stop with the "special" declarations.
Defensive breakdowns were not exclusive to the time when uhl played. You could tie the fact our deficit jumps to double digits was the 8+ minutes that JO played in the first half. Then he really didn't play again. hmmmmm.

DU's poor =/- was who he was on the floor with. JO got consistent minutes with starters, since he did get starters minutes. DU had to play with backups and JO, back combo. IF DU had got the minutes that JO got as a freshman he would have been pretty good by the end of the year. As it was he was a better player against better teams during the conference season that he was against poor teams at the beginning of the season.

Originally posted by binsfeldcyhawk2:

I think he benefits more than anybody on the team from an off-season of weight training. If he packs on 8-10 lbs I think we see a much better player.

As far as the offensive efficiency numbers...when he came in either our #1 or #2 scorer went out....he was also teamed with JO on the floor many times so those numbers were going to be low for him. I also think he was on a bit of a short leash this year...needed minutes from him to give AW or JU a rest but Fran probably emphasized 1) not turning the ball over 2) defense with him....he was never a real offensive option and Fran wasn't looking for him to be one this year.

The expectation is different next year. I think Fran will emphasize him taking his shot and quite frankly I think we see a different player. He'll go from a "don't mess up and hold down the fort" mentality to "we need you to contribute" mentality.

I just like what I saw out of him and definitely see potential...but he needs to get stronger.
+1 Fran had Uhl with a bunch of other players that either couldn't shoot or were very hesitant. Combine that with the fact he always replaced one of our best 2 players and you can see why those numbers make sense.

Uhl obviously has his deficiencies but he more than anyone will benefit from a more wide open style of play that our roster will be better suited to execute in the next few years. I always have thought it's much easier for a young player to make an impact when they are a spot up shooter rather than a player like Uhl who needs the ball in his hands and can create off the dribble. It's hard to have an aggressive mentality as a freshman and strength is an issue when he tried to finish inside.

Originally posted by buttermypancakes:

Originally posted by binsfeldcyhawk2:

+1 Fran had Uhl with a bunch of other players that either couldn't shoot or were very hesitant. Combine that with the fact he always replaced one of our best 2 players and you can see why those numbers make sense.

Uhl obviously has his deficiencies but he more than anyone will benefit from a more wide open style of play that our roster will be better suited to execute in the next few years. I always have thought it's much easier for a young player to make an impact when they are a spot up shooter rather than a player like Uhl who needs the ball in his hands and can create off the dribble. It's hard to have an aggressive mentality as a freshman and strength is an issue when he tried to finish inside.

Good posts and points. There is also his high school experience. Uhl was not a featured player. This kid is an elevator opening on a relatively low floor. It's not where the dang thing opens...it's all those buttons to push that go up.

I feel like the only thing Dom Uhl needs is some playing time. It is hard to develop on the bench. He will get more minutes next year and I suspect we will see some good things. He has a pretty good outside shot and has the handles to get to the rim. Just not strong enough to finish. That will change next season I hope.

Originally posted by mpls_hawki:

Just sayin.
Would love to see the numbers for McCabe last year.
First half Zach probably had one of the better +/-. Second half Zach was almost as bad as all season Josh. I respect Fran for sticking with his guys but it cost us wins sticking with those two. That is why players love him and it is worth the trade off to keep chemistry good.

Season and career are over. Can the Oglesby bashing stop anytime soon? For gawd sakes, the kid devoted four years to the program and was a good player and teammate. I'm sure he had hoped for a more stellar career, but it is what it is. I'm sure he is sorry to have disappointed you all. Get over it.

Originally posted by Ronman:
Season and career are over. Can the Oglesby bashing stop anytime soon? For gawd sakes, the kid devoted four years to the program and was a good player and teammate. I'm sure he had hoped for a more stellar career, but it is what it is. I'm sure he is sorry to have disappointed you all. Get over it.
Is it really bashing him when discussing the truth about line ups this season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT