ADVERTISEMENT

Most Outstanding Wrestler

Who votes on this at the NCAA's? Whomever voted for Nickal should be banned from ever voting again.
They should HANG the bast@rd!

giphy.gif

No surprise.

It's objectively Lee but I'm not surprised at all that a committee voted against the Iowa wrestler.

Shame. Guess the award is meaningless. Clinching team title should not play a factor in individual performance. Lee shouldn't be punished because his team wasn't in the title race.

OW is an individual accomplishment.

Bias and incompetence by anyone who voted for Nickal over Lee.

No surprise.

It's objectively Lee but I'm not surprised at all that a committee voted against the Iowa wrestler.

Shame. Guess the award is meaningless. Clinching team title should not play a factor in individual performance. Lee shouldn't be punished because his team wasn't in the title race.

OW is an individual accomplishment.

Bias and incompetence by anyone who voted for Nickal over Lee.
Fact. Total and complete joke.

NCAA needs high profile schools to be successful....end of story. There is NO explanation for how this particular award was given.

Things like THIS, the current NCAA basketball scandal, academic fraud at UNC, Cam Newton (non) scandal at Auburn, Alabama football, (just to name a few) it is pretty clear NCAA cares about ONE thing. No reason to penalize these type of schools that skirt the rules. Making money and having high profile with schools LARGE alumni bases being successful is CLEARLY in their best interest (more viewers, higher ratings, more $$$$).

Let's reward them and raise them up. Move on, BAU!

Last edited:
You’re now borderline creepy. It’s all you think about on these boards...

I hate to break it to you, but it's the first thought on everyone's mind outside of Pennsylvania when they hear "Penn State".
You’re exactly right, it’s weird they roam around talking trash after that. They literally ran a flock of pedophiles through their school. So gross.

Probably true since he would have just helped his team win a title instead of a participation trophy.

Two things:

1. This is idiotic. If you want to have some feminine most emotional performance award, then create it. As others have said, this selection was a joke, and there were even PSU guys who were much more deserving. It's a stain on the award, like when Emmet Wilson won the Hodge.

2. This is how programs disappear. My god everyone's goal is to win the championship, but if we treat every other team as a pariah we're not going to have many teams left

The prolem here is that most of the coaches who vote have no idea of how the majority of wrestlers who deserve the OW award have wrestled throughout the tournament. They don’t know if they were dominant or just winning by decsion and most do not even bother to look to see how many team points they scored. They just know what they have seen lately. Not right and if that’s the case then another selection process needs to be found. At the very least they should have heard the post match tirade.

Reactions: Dagboi
If the award is for best tourney performance it should go to Lee. Most points in one of the tougher weight classes. Best finals performance sure give it to Bo. Best season probably Zain. Side note the inability of people to have civilized conversation without disparaging comments is pathetic. If you want to consider best personal performance Kyle Conel.

Have all the other asshats from psu that lurk around here with there BS admit that LEE was the rightfull winner. And then the pedstate BS will stop maybe
Bo had the single biggest moment of the tournament. Lee had the most impressive three day performance. I don’t think any honest person would argue that. Just remember that no Penn State fan is responsible for Lee having not won the OW, and no Penn State fan is responsible for Jerry Sandusky’s crimes. I lurk here because it’s a knowledgeable fan base. I can’t speak for anyone else.

Bo had the single biggest moment of the tournament. Lee had the most impressive three day performance. I don’t think any honest person would argue that. Just remember that no Penn State fan is responsible for Lee having not won the OW, and no Penn State fan is responsible for Jerry Sandusky’s crimes. I lurk here because it’s a knowledgeable fan base. I can’t speak for anyone else.

So you answered the question. It was a 3 day tourney, not a one match performance.

Reactions: cyagla
Geez. Did the OP say someone should be "hanged" over this?

This country is going to hell in a handbasket, over wrestling.

So you answered the question. It was a 3 day tourney, not a one match performance.
It’s not my question to answer. I thought the award was for the full tournament body of work. I don’t know the criteria presented to the voters. Heck, I don’t even know who does vote.

Nicely said. I do think that Lee was robbed, but it's not PSU wrestling fans' fault. Same for Sandusky. Time to move on.

I think Lee should have won the OW award. If there was an award for most valuable wrestler or greatest move, then I could see Nickal as the winner. In a split second he went from his back to a National Champ while locking a Team Championship in the blink of an eye - unreal, I don't know if I ever saw anything like that. But Lee's path to the championship as a true freshman was at another level in my opinion. It wasn't just that he won, its how he did it and who he went through to get there = incredible.

Reactions: artradley
I think Lee should have won the OW award. If there was an award for most valuable wrestler or greatest move, then I could see Nickal as the winner. In a split second he went from his back to a National Champ while locking a Team Championship in the blink of an eye - unreal, I don't know if I ever saw anything like that. But Lee's path to the championship as a true freshman was at another level in my opinion. It wasn't just that he won, its how he did it and who he went through to get there = incredible.

There were two former champs in his bracket, as well. And I believe two former runner ups. And that's not including Suriano!

gotta admit, this one spencer lees award. judges must of been caught up in the moment. I'm sure hell be a multiple time winner of the hodge so guess it wont matter to much... Kid had me wishing hed come to PSU but im still glad to see a fellow north western pa guy dominate. Been hearing about hime for years. Before he ever transferred to franklin and was killing poor d10 aa kids... Next year should be exciting with your guys lee, bull,kem and some of your incoming guys plus now nevills and stoll actually have real shotts ha..

Who votes on this at the NCAA's? Whomever voted for Nickal should be banned from ever voting again.
Ya, Wrestling is both an individual and team sport. That magnitutde of that match was for the team title with defending champs. If situation reversed and Martin had pinned Nickal and OSU won the team title, I could see Martin getting OW.

Voting is subjective, if you're a freshman, and/or your team finishes further down the team standings, you're probably not going to get the benefit of the doubt. Similar to Heisman voting. Just the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT