ADVERTISEMENT

Most sought after Christmas presents?

HawkOptimist

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
I remember when toys like Cabbage Patch dolls and Tickle Me Elmo were the most sought after toys at Christmas. People would fight over them in the middle of a store while others would camp outside a store overnight if there was even a rumor that the store was getting a shipment. Not to mention parents spending an entire day on the phone with retailers or driving from retailer to retailer trying to find one.

Besides Cabbage Patch dolls and Tickle Me Elmo, what have been some other “impossible to find at Christmas” toys, electronics or video games over the years? I know there has been more, but I just can’t remember.

Does this sort of thing even exist any more? Meaning, are there toys or electronics today that are impossible to find with Christmas around the corner?

I remember when toys like Cabbage Patch dolls and Tickle Me Elmo were the most sought after toys at Christmas. People would fight over them in the middle of a store while others would camp outside a store overnight if there was even a rumor that the store was getting a shipment. Not to mention parents spending an entire day on the phone with retailers or driving from retailer to retailer trying to find one.

Besides Cabbage Patch dolls and Tickle Me Elmo, what have been some other “impossible to find at Christmas” toys, electronics or video games over the years? I know there has been more, but I just can’t remember.

Does this sort of thing even exist any more? Meaning, are there toys or electronics today that are impossible to find with Christmas around the corner?
I worked at target for a bit in college and there were definitely toys like this, but that was a good 16-17 years ago. I think it was a leapfrog pad or something like that one year that was hot. We had a ridiculous amount of them forever and then they just all sold out and came in with only like 4 at a time. I saw at least two moms cry when I explained we were out and that we had estimated deliveries available to look at but I couldn’t guarantee anything. Some kids must be real assholes at Christmas.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Game systems are the only thing that comes to mind over the last decade or two and it's still nothing like the cabbage patch kids or tickle me elmo crazes. I don't think people were shanking each other over PS5s or Nintendo switches. Now people just buy up the hot/short supply items and price gouge the shit out of them so the people who would be willing to slice a bitch for a toy can just shell out more money to get it.

In the early 70's, Atari was the bomb. You could play Pong for hours. Then Elimination and Pong doubles and Super Pong came out and it was pandemonium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT