ADVERTISEMENT

Motorcyclist dies after collision with deer near Monticello

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A motorcyclist died after colliding with a deer on a Jones County highway Wednesday evening, according to an Iowa State Patrol accident report.

About 5:30 p.m., the motorcyclist was driving northwest on Highway 38, a couple of miles southeast of Monticello, when a deer entered the roadway.

The motorcyclist struck the deer and came to rest on the shoulder. Though the driver was flown by air ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, they succumbed to their injuries at the hospital, the release stated.

This is near where I totaled my truck last year right after the Purdue game. I was on cruise control just 2 miles or so north of Monticello on 151, listening to the post game show when the big buck came across the median in the pitch dark and I never had time to even touch the brakes. Squared it up at 70 MPH, blew my air bags and the insurance company totaled it and gave me 4K more than I paid for it 3 years earlier...

My BIL had the same thing happen to him, but he was lucky and only ended up with a dozen staples in his head. He hasn’t ridden since.

A friend of mine lost his father to a motorcycle accident. A coworker of mine lost both his aunt and uncle to an accident. Riding is supremely fun. To the point of being a spiritual experience. But, it’s just not worth the risks it poses, IMO.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This is near where I totaled my truck last year right after the Purdue game. I was on cruise control just 2 miles or so north of Monticello on 151, listening to the post game show when the big buck came across the median in the pitch dark and I never had time to even touch the brakes. Squared it up at 70 MPH, blew my air bags and the insurance company totaled it and gave me 4K more than I paid for it 3 years earlier...
Can you please pinpoint the exact location? I’m looking to unload our Suburban and an insurance claim would be an easy out.

Had a friend suffer the same fate a few years back. He left behind a wife and 3 kids under 10. Incredibly sad, but I cant wrap my head around the decision to ride a motorcycle after dark.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT