ADVERTISEMENT

Move over QC here comes CR

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
Its a bridge, not a petting zoo...

CEDAR RAPIDS — The city of Cedar Rapids is once again trying to secure $22 million through a federal grant program for the reconstruction of the Eighth Avenue bridge over the Cedar River — a key component of the permanent flood control system that would provide a lifeline connection for residents and emergency services during extreme flooding.

The city is submitting a RAISE, or “Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity,“ grant application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to cover about 40 percent of the $50 to $55 million cost of replace the bridge with a cable-stayed, higher-elevation structure that stays open as rivers rise.

“We think it’s a good fit because it’s not just a transportation element, it’s also about resiliency — hardening yourself against future floods because this bridge is really a flood control element,” city Flood Control Program Manager Rob Davis said.

Its a bridge, not a petting zoo...

CEDAR RAPIDS — The city of Cedar Rapids is once again trying to secure $22 million through a federal grant program for the reconstruction of the Eighth Avenue bridge over the Cedar River — a key component of the permanent flood control system that would provide a lifeline connection for residents and emergency services during extreme flooding.

The city is submitting a RAISE, or “Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity,“ grant application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to cover about 40 percent of the $50 to $55 million cost of replace the bridge with a cable-stayed, higher-elevation structure that stays open as rivers rise.

“We think it’s a good fit because it’s not just a transportation element, it’s also about resiliency — hardening yourself against future floods because this bridge is really a flood control element,” city Flood Control Program Manager Rob Davis said.

It is just phallic enough in form to woo torbee into conceding this would be Iowa's greatest bridge. NTTAWWT.

Maybe first fixing 8th Ave SE/Mount Vernon Road would be a good idea. For how much traffic that patch funnels, who care if you got a big ass fancy bridge if the connecting street sucks. Every time I drive on that stretch from the 380 exit east and cross the river, I feel like once I'm across the current bridge I am driving on a street that was last fixed up in the 1960's.

I mean, I get the flood control aspect, but something tells me that maybe, just maybe continuing fixing all the heavily trafficked streets that are badly in need of upgrades should come first. Oakland Road, Center Point Road, 6th St SW (FINALLY being worked on now), the abomination that is 16th Ave SW...

It only took them about 20 years to get Collins Road somewhat fixed up. 1st Avenue East is also finally better and that also took 20 or so years.

Whenever it comes to Cedar Rapids and how to "fix it"...I've always held the opinion that the only entities that win are who builds them and whichever politician sold that to us taxpayer suckers.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Maybe first fixing 8th Ave SE/Mount Vernon Road would be a good idea. For how much traffic that patch funnels, who care if you got a big ass fancy bridge if the connecting street sucks. Every time I drive on that stretch from the 380 exit east and cross the river, I feel like once I'm across the current bridge I am driving on a street that was last fixed up in the 1960's.

I mean, I get the flood control aspect, but something tells me that maybe, just maybe continuing fixing all the heavily trafficked streets that are badly in need of upgrades should come first. Oakland Road, Center Point Road, 6th St SW (FINALLY being worked on now), the abomination that is 16th Ave SW...

It only took them about 20 years to get Collins Road somewhat fixed up. 1st Avenue East is also finally better and that also took 20 or so years.

Whenever it comes to Cedar Rapids and how to "fix it"...I've always held the opinion that the only entities that win are who builds them and whichever politician sold that to us taxpayer suckers.
Or the smell 😃

Nice to see not some fraud project like the petting zoo bridge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT