ADVERTISEMENT

Moving East vs West

Hawk_4shur

HB Legend
Jan 2, 2009
It's early in the season still, but I will be interested in how the West coast teams do when they travel East, and how the Midwest and Eastern B1G teams do when they travel West.

To date - West teams when traveling East to B1G schools

Washington 0-1
USC 0-2
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 0-0

Total 0-4

West teams playing at home against B1G schools

Washington 2-0
USC 1-0
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 1-0

Total 4-1

Not enough data yet to draw any conclusions of course - everybody plays better at home. But I think the teams that travel in the East/West matchups are going to have some tough sledding.

I believe teams that traveled 2 time zones are something like 1-9 so far and the only win is Indiana over UCLA.

I’d be interested to know how NFL teams handle that because they obviously make trips like that somewhat routinely and I don’t ever hear people bring it up like they do in college.

I read that Big10 teams have been mostly traveling on Thursday for these, so they get a day to acclimate but just based on how I feel with daylight savings twice a year, I think it’s safe to say it can take more than a day to acclimate your body clock to a new time zone and so far the results seem to show that there is at least some impact on performance from changing 2 time zones.

It's early in the season still, but I will be interested in how the West coast teams do when they travel East, and how the Midwest and Eastern B1G teams do when they travel West.

Washington 0-1
USC 0-2
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 0-0

Total 0-4

Washington 2-0
USC 1-0
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 1-0

Total 4-1

Not enough data yet to draw any conclusions of course - everybody plays better at home. But I think the teams that travel in the East/West matchups are going to have some tough sledding.
just wait until november, those west coast vaginas won't be able to handle it

Its my one concern about going to UCLA on a Friday.

Kirk manages to get his team to piss their pants and forget who they are for a couple hours typically when we go out west.

It doesn't matter that UCLA sucks this year. Hasn't mattered to Kirk in almost 20 years ever since he started letting bad teams hang around for the sake of it.

Kirk manages to get his team to piss their pants and forget who they are for a couple hours typically when we go out west.

It doesn't matter that UCLA sucks this year. Hasn't mattered to Kirk in almost 20 years ever since he started letting bad teams hang around for the sake of it.
Like our trips to Arizona? Yikes

USC vs. Iowa in Holiday Bowl in San Diego ring any bells?

I’d be interested to know how NFL teams handle that because they obviously make trips like that somewhat routinely and I don’t ever hear people bring it up like they do in college.
The big difference here is school. I know “haha, didn’t come here to play school”, but outside the big big dogs, most of the kids at most of the schools have class and labs and tests and all that besides practice and games during the week. NFL players have a few hours practice and training each day and then can do whatever and live a multi million dollar lifestyle.

The benefit that Iowa has playing at UCLA vs Washington playing at Kinnick is our game with UCLA is a night game (6pm PT/8pm CT) vs Washington having to play at 11am CT/9am PT. I remember in 2015, that Stanford team that kicked our ass in the Rose Bowl went to sleepy Evanston and lost to NW on an 11am CT/9am PT game.

If we lose to UCLA it’s not a time zone problem. They are absolutely terrible and also the least physical team in the conference.

I believe teams that traveled 2 time zones are something like 1-9 so far and the only win is Indiana over UCLA.

I read that Big10 teams have been mostly traveling on Thursday for these, so they get a day to acclimate but just based on how I feel with daylight savings twice a year, I think it’s safe to say it can take more than a day to acclimate your body clock to a new time zone and so far the results seem to show that there is at least some impact on performance from changing 2 time zones.
When I was 20 time of day was meaningless. Was always up going way early and was always up late.

Or wait until fat slow old B!G teams go west in 100 degree heat in Sept, even October now. Works both ways. Reason KF fought to have 3 rival games on the border. He is too lazy and old to want to travel west.
100 degrees where? Arizona teams are not in our league. And you can say well sometimes LA gets hot, well they ain't used to it out there either.

The benefit that Iowa has playing at UCLA vs Washington playing at Kinnick is our game with UCLA is a night game (6pm PT/8pm CT) vs Washington having to play at 11am CT/9am PT. I remember in 2015, that Stanford team that kicked our ass in the Rose Bowl went to sleepy Evanston and lost to NW on an 11am CT/9am PT game.
You think 9am means anything to a 20 year old used to getting up probably at 5am or 6am at the latest?

Washington 0-1
USC 0-2
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 0-0

Total 0-4

Washington 2-0
USC 1-0
UCLA 0-1
Oregon 1-0

Total 4-1

This B1G will never last. West coast teams will get tired of traveling back east every other week, while old B1G teams only go west once a year. And B1G would not even split the B1G dumb title game with Indy and Vegas. Throw in the other sports and no way this works. PennU coach was complaining about going west for just one time this week. UCLA coach, who got shit on with the schedule, called him a tooth fairy.
Washington was in Rutgers, two weeks ago, now back to Herkville for a 11 am game this week. Matter of time until they say F this.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez and 83Hawk
You think 9am means anything to a 20 year old used to getting up probably at 5am or 6am at the latest?

I'm guessing you don't/ have not had kids that age.

Have you never heard athletes talk about the effect of traveling west to east and play an early a.m game? It's talked about pretty frequently.

The record of teams traveling 2 timezones supports the effect.

Last edited:
This B1G will never last. West coast teams will get tired of traveling back east every other week, while old B1G teams only go west once a year. And B1G would not even split the B1G dumb title game with Indy and Vegas. Throw in the other sports and no way this works. PennU coach was complaining about going west for just one time this week. UCLA coach, who got shit on with the schedule, called him a tooth fairy.
Washington was in Rutgers, two weeks ago, now back to Herkville for a 11 am game this week. Matter of time until they say F this.
And do what?

Reactions: nu2u
Yes, I do. Being "on" for a college football game at 9am body-clock time is not normal and, hence, hard to adapt to. Again, which is why west coast teams that have come east 2 or more time zones to play an early morning body-clock game typically lose.

Reactions: littlez
Or wait until fat slow old B!G teams go west in 100 degree heat in Sept, even October now. Works both ways. Reason KF fought to have 3 rival games on the border. He is too lazy and old to want to travel west.
I don't think it ever hits 100 in washington and oregon. LA summers and iowa summers are comparable temperature wise.

20 year olds getting up at 5and 6am? Where is this at?
For non-athletes it’s probably pretty rare but I know at Iowa they practice that early during the season and lift weights that early during the off season. They started the early morning practices back around 2015 because it was becoming a problem with players unable to make it to afternoon practice because of class conflicts (Jake Rudock in particular I think). I would have thought the players would hate it but supposedly they were good with it.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how other schools do it but I’m under the impression it’s relatively common. That said, the rumor I heard was that was one of the reasons it didn’t work out with Proctor is that he wasn’t on board with 6am lifting sessions in January. Could be just a rumor though.

I'm guessing you don't/ have not had kids that age.

Have you never heard athletes talk about the effect of traveling west to east and play an early a.m game? It's talked about pretty frequently.

The record of teams traveling 2 timezones supports the effect.
Yeah, must be an athlete’s thing. As a student at IOWA, I was never up at 6 AM. Nowadays, up at 3 or 4, but that’s to try to get exercise in before the rest of my day gets started. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT