ADVERTISEMENT

"Much deeper rotation" indicated

T. Kimball

HR All-State
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2005
Per Fran today. Said expect to see 2 or 3 of the true frosh also.

If that’s what we need in order to play championship defense, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, as many have noted in the past, it seems Fran has a tendency of playing too deep of rotations. In Fran I trust.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
With the Murray twins...….is there a sense already that one of them is further along?
Sorry, if already posted, however just wanting to clarify.
Thanks in advance. #gohawks

That’s fine when the depth is real. I’m not going to pick on individual guys but suffice to say we’ve rolled some dudes out there in the past who simply didn’t belong. But we had a “deep bench.” I have a gut feeling these new guys, for the most part, are quality players.
Yes this exactly. Much of the depth is proven, which is a contrast to past years where much of Iowa’s “depth” consisted of guys who either weren’t good enough or weren’t ready to be major contributors yet. And the good news is that if things aren’t going well this year, it should be pretty easy to know who to cut the rotation down to. I do like that the young guys will be coming into a pretty low pressure situation. Lot of older guys to fall back on and pick them up if they are struggling

Reactions: T. Kimball
I am a little hesitant about this. Basketball is all about getting into a good rhythm and flow of the game. We saw what happened with the over-roataion of players two years ago.

On the other hand, I don't know how Perkins and Ulis stay off the court based on the hype and film from this last season.

Not a fan of large rotations. Unless you're playing scramble for 40 minutes (e.g. Dr. Davis) a large rotation never allows anyone, or perhaps few players to really get into the game. You play your best 5 or maybe 6 players for every minute they are not fatigued or in foul trouble. Although I think we've got two pretty freshmen guards the likely fact is they are not better than Joe T, CJ and Jordan at this point. Hence, the team is at less than maximum output every minute Joe T, CJ or Jordan are not on the floor. Garbage time is one thing but if the issue is not decided, let's press the issue with our best players on the floor.

The front court is similar but not exactly the same situation. Obviously Luka should never get more than a minute or two of rest if he's healthy and not in foul trouble. I think Jack probably takes those few minutes.

The Special K's (just could not resist) are unlikely to be close to C Mac and Joe W-our starters are very good ball players. We have no depth but three freshmen so P Mac and at least one K, and probably both, will see some floor time. If we're playing a team with a good traditional 4 that's kill C Mac inside then you see a K- I definitely think one of the Ks will get most of Cordell's minutes. P Mac will get most of Joe W's reserve minutes. Once again, the game is not yet decided; do you go with your 22 year old 3 year players (C Mac and Joe W) just to get a younger player some minutes? No, that's just crazy.

I hope the freshmen guards are especially patient and mature. Unless one turns out to be way ahead of their recruiting status, and that is always possible, the freshmen guards have to be coming into the program aware of who's ahead of them in the rotation. You know, you'd have to have a pretty big ego as a freshman to think the coach is going to bench the B!Gs all time leading 3 point shooter (optimistically predicting this year) so you can get minutes.

Ogu redshirts.

My hope is that we can have a core rotation of guys and they dominate and we are winning games 20 plus points late and we can get the younger guys their minutes.

But also feel that coaches are figuring there is going to be issues where players are out for extended time due to quarantine protocols after positive tests so they are going to want to mix and mingle guys more.

Per Fran today. Said expect to see 2 or 3 of the true frosh also.

If that’s what we need in order to play championship defense, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, as many have noted in the past, it seems Fran has a tendency of playing too deep of rotations. In Fran I trust.

We already have a solid core of 7 who have played significant minutes in Garza, Nunge, Weiskamp, Connor, JBo, Fredrick and Touissant. Figure Patrick to be in the rotation and that's a great 8 man rotation. I can see one of the freshman guards in Ulis or Perkins get some minutes but I just don't see how Fran plans on planning 10 and take away minutes from proven players especially when you consider Garza and Weiskamp should be playing 30-35 minutes a game easily that doesn't have any garbage time.

They're identical twins ;)

So, you think they play identical games of Hoop??
What in the living...…………….? Simple question.
I didn't follow either one, at Prairie and presumably some on the
HR BB did...…………….which Murray twin plays first?

My hope is that we can have a core rotation of guys and they dominate and we are winning games 20 plus points late and we can get the younger guys their minutes.

But also feel that coaches are figuring there is going to be issues where players are out for extended time due to quarantine protocols after positive tests so they are going to want to mix and mingle guys more.

If the NCAA decides not to charge a year of eligibility for this upcoming season it would be interesting to see what would happen if they could develop some of that depth in JV games. That way guys could play some heavy minutes without taking too much time away from the guys at the top of the rotation.

Last edited:
I would go with Josh O to take Cordells minutes N
If the NCAA decides not to charge a year of eligibility for this upcoming season it would be interesting to see what would happen if they could develop some of that depth in JV games. That way guys could play some heavy minutes without taking too much time away from the guys at the top of the rotation.

I see Josh O getting on the court to have a physical presence to replace Cordell much needed physical presence in certain games last lyear.. I have heard he is needing to work himself into shape though. WIth Nunge coming back to take Kreiners minutes I dont see much time for the Murrays.

My guess is the more perimter oriented Murray will be battling with Perkins for backup time at the 3 and if Ulis can handle the backup point, it will make minutes there even tighter with Weiskamp, Frederick, Jbo all demanding minutes.

At this point, it's all speculation. Very few, if any, of us know how these kids are handling themselves during practice. And I really don't care how many players McCaffery eventually plays as long as we stay away from the hockey line changes he has employed in the past where all the starters sit at once.

Reactions: kceasthawk
At this point, it's all speculation. Very few, if any, of us know how these kids are handling themselves during practice. And I really don't care how many players McCaffery eventually plays as long as we stay away from the hockey line changes he has employed in the past where all the starters sit at once.

I don’t care if the starters sit if the bench is good.

Reactions: walleye hunter16
I see Josh O getting on the court to have a physical presence to replace Cordell much needed physical presence in certain games last lyear.. I have heard he is needing to work himself into shape though. WIth Nunge coming back to take Kreiners minutes I dont see much time for the Murrays.

My guess is the more perimter oriented Murray will be battling with Perkins for backup time at the 3 and if Ulis can handle the backup point, it will make minutes there even tighter with Weiskamp, Frederick, Jbo all demanding minutes.
I forget where I read it, but it sounds like the primary focus for Ogundele is getting into basketball shape right now. I would be moderately surprised if he logs many, if any, minutes this year.

I’m expecting to see Garza and Nunge man the 5 together, with a rotation of Connor, Pat, and one of the Murrays at the 4. I also wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Wieskamp slide over to the 4 in a small lineup

I forget where I read it, but it sounds like the primary focus for Ogundele is getting into basketball shape right now. I would be moderately surprised if he logs many, if any, minutes this year.

I’m expecting to see Garza and Nunge man the 5 together, with a rotation of Connor, Pat, and one of the Murrays at the 4. I also wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Wieskamp slide over to the 4 in a small lineup

Yeah, Josh O would struggle to see time in any situation, but add in the fact he needs to get into better physical condition while also working on basketball skills and he is facing an uphill battle. He would be the perfect candidate for someone being able to improve if they had JV games.

Yeah, Josh O would struggle to see time in any situation, but add in the fact he needs to get into better physical condition while also working on basketball skills and he is facing an uphill battle. He would be the perfect candidate for someone being able to improve if they had JV games.
Are JV games being discussed with everything going on or just your own musing?

Are JV games being discussed with everything going on or just your own musing?

I don't think Iowa would do it for just one season, and it would look bad to add a JV team after cutting sports, but I think it would be interesting to see if that could be a tool to develop players at some point in the future, especially at programs like Iowa where you won't often have kids leaving early for the NBA.

With the Murray twins...….is there a sense already that one of them is further along?
Sorry, if already posted, however just wanting to clarify.
Thanks in advance. #gohawks

Keegan might be the Vegas bet to see more minutes between them. He is slightly taller and plays more of a perimeter 3 game while Kris is more of a small 4 who is active closer to the rim (although he can shoot too).

Keegan might compare to Patrick and Kris to Baer, if that helps.

Keegan is a 3/4 to me while Kris is a 4/3. But Keegan’s length, shooting and ball handling make him the better player atm imo, but perhaps he’s too similar to Patrick so Kris’ skill set at a PF position lacking depth may be a backdoor path to more minutes.

Still think it’s Keegan though, as he can play the 4 and has 10lbs on Patrick at least.

Always seemed the rhythm is thrown off when Fran thinks he has 10 guys who need to play. Never felt Iowa has had that good of bench players, maybe this year will be different.

I get you point on the floor, but the phrase "mix and mingle" during a covid pandemic seemed exactly the opposite of what you would want them doing!:)

Reactions: 2432Hawk
I expect Iowa to blow everyone out; therefore, we should play at least 12/game. ;)

On a more serious note, i hope he stays with a 8/9 man rotation. These quotes make me question that, however.

Not sure that I like the approach, but Fran has never seemed to shy away from playing a deep bench...

If by deeper he means a healthy JoBo, Nunge (backing up LG), PMac logging some minutes and CJ staying healthy all season then I am for it. Also ok with freshman logging some late minutes or in case of fouls but otherwise I do not want to see Fran try to go 10 deep. It may be necessary with C19 outbreaks so in that sense it is good but in general 8 seems to be a good number.

JoBo
LG
CMac
PMac
JW
JN
CJ-F
JT

If AU is a stud PG then maybe he grabs some minutes as well but wouldn't mind him red shirting bc I would like to see him have 4 years of solid playing time, just not sure that is in the cards this year unless one of JT/JoBo/CMac are out for an extended period of time.

I'm hoping a few of the freshman do step up and play some minutes. Does anyone remember last years bench? Evelyn, Pemsl, Till, Ash....I welcome a deep team this year. With all the uncertainty COVID wise, depth will be so important this year

I want to see 2 PG’s for 40 minutes (JB, CM, JT, AU) and see Jack play the 5 unless a team like the Zags throw out a giant frontline.

Beyond that I got no specific requests.

If by deeper he means a healthy JoBo, Nunge (backing up LG), PMac logging some minutes and CJ staying healthy all season then I am for it. Also ok with freshman logging some late minutes or in case of fouls but otherwise I do not want to see Fran try to go 10 deep. It may be necessary with C19 outbreaks so in that sense it is good but in general 8 seems to be a good number.

JoBo
LG
CMac
PMac
JW
JN
CJ-F
JT

If AU is a stud PG then maybe he grabs some minutes as well but wouldn't mind him red shirting bc I would like to see him have 4 years of solid playing time, just not sure that is in the cards this year unless one of JT/JoBo/CMac are out for an extended period of time.
If basketball is the same as football, then no one will use eligibility for this season. That would be a chance to see some minutes for the frosh and not use up a year if they choose to stay for five......

Keegan might be the Vegas bet to see more minutes between them. He is slightly taller and plays more of a perimeter 3 game while Kris is more of a small 4 who is active closer to the rim (although he can shoot too).

Keegan might compare to Patrick and Kris to Baer, if that helps.

Keegan is a 3/4 to me while Kris is a 4/3. But Keegan’s length, shooting and ball handling make him the better player atm imo, but perhaps he’s too similar to Patrick so Kris’ skill set at a PF position lacking depth may be a backdoor path to more minutes.

Still think it’s Keegan though, as he can play the 4 and has 10lbs on Patrick at least.

Good post. Great mnemonic device: Kris K4 Keegan K3. I think K4 will see more minutes than any other freshman. Jack wasn't very good at the 4 before the injury. P Mac is not going to handle bigger and stronger players at the 4. Kris seems like the only other option.

I would love to see a way to redshirt Ahron and Tony; at least one of them will play heavy minutes next year and probably both. Eighteen/nineteen year olds are the very essence of the "young man in a hurry" axiom but I think their long term best move would be to redshirt this year rather than play a few minutes of mostly garbage time.

It really sounds like Ogu needs a redshirt.

I'm hoping a few of the freshman do step up and play some minutes. Does anyone remember last years bench? Evelyn, Pemsl, Till, Ash....I welcome a deep team this year. With all the uncertainty COVID wise, depth will be so important this year

Also a good post. Great way to distinguish depth and a big rotation. If we do have injuries or a Covid situation (although its been through the team once so the chances of another player getting it are very low) its good to have a ready to play guy on the bench but that does not necessarily require the bench player to be part of the regular, prime time rotation. It's like the Blind Man in Stands.

I just hope Nunge's knee is sound. In the two games last season that he got significant minutes (over 20) he averaged 12.5 points and 8.5 RBs and was the recipient of McCaffery's praise as being a force during practices.

If basketball is the same as football, then no one will use eligibility for this season. That would be a chance to see some minutes for the frosh and not use up a year if they choose to stay for five......

Is this carved in stone for basketball? Any limitations?

This ^

I think "deep bench" has felt like a misnomer for Iowa fans because the bench has rarely been good under Fran. It's been especially perplexing in seasons where he's gone ten deep with the likes of Dom Uhl and Brady Ellingson.

You forgot Ryan Kriener, but otherwise, yes, Iowa's bench last season left a lot to be desired. That shouldn't be the case this year. If Iowa is getting good production from the bench, I'm okay with a 9-10 man rotation. With an up-tempo style, being deep hopefully reduces late-season fatigue.

I hope it’s a free year of eligibility....then there’s no pressure about redshirting or not. Fran can play any of them if the time is right...even if Big Josh isn’t in the groove yet but could get some mop up minutes at some point.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT