ADVERTISEMENT

Mucocele/oral cyst

SoFla-Hawkeye

HR Heisman
Nov 12, 2001
My son has a mucocele as a result of a nasty cross face in wrestling. It’s pretty large. And nasty. We have been told he needs to see a dentist, an oral surgeon, a dermatologist, and an ENT. Thus far we haven’t found anyone willing to see him. Anyone have experience with this? His PCP said it was too big for her to resolve. TIA.

My son has a mucocele as a result of a nasty cross face in wrestling. It’s pretty large. And nasty. We have been told he needs to see a dentist, an oral surgeon, a dermatologist, and an ENT. Thus far we haven’t found anyone willing to see him. Anyone have experience with this? His PCP said it was too big for her to resolve. TIA.
The PCP couldn't give u a referral?

Reactions: Nipigu
My advice is a dentist if it's on the gum line impacting teeth. They can take x rays and refer you if needed to oral surgeon. ENT would be involved generally if it was in tongue.

If it's a mucocele it just needs to be popped, or give it time and it will go away on its own.

Give us more info about it,. Location, color, hard, is it painful, how long has it been there.

What do you mean no one else would see him? Have you talked to anyone? Did the PCP tell you to go to the Dr or give a specific recommendation?

Is it possible the PCP didn't have a specific treatment, but wasn't concerned either? Most of the time if it is concerning they would send you to the er or urgent care. It can take months to get into derm, several weeks to get into ENT, and a dentist probably won't want to see you for a mucocele.

Last edited:
It is on the inside of his bottom lip. More of a discomfort than outright pain. It is beginning to make it difficult to eat. The original “injury” occurred in March. It has progressively gotten larger. He was told by his PCP it would go away on its own. His old pediatrician said it was the biggest she’s ever seen. His PCP said the same and referred us to an ENT who in turn said “no thanks”. We have considered the ER but my sister, who is an RN, believes they will give him a couple of aspirin and tell him he needs to see someone.

Reactions: tumorboy
It is on the inside of his bottom lip. More of a discomfort than outright pain. It is beginning to make it difficult to eat. The original “injury” occurred in March. It has progressively gotten larger. He was told by his PCP it would go away on its own. His old pediatrician said it was the biggest she’s ever seen. His PCP said the same and referred us to an ENT who in turn said “no thanks”. We have considered the ER but my sister, who is an RN, believes they will give him a couple of aspirin and tell him he needs to see someone.

Find a more competent ENT.

Reactions: Fluffles
If it's a mucocele it just needs to be popped, or give it time and it will go away on its own.

Give us more info about it,. Location, color, hard, is it painful, how long has it been there.

What do you mean no one else would see him? Have you talked to anyone? Did the PCP tell you to go to the Dr or give a specific recommendation?

Is it possible the PCP didn't have a specific treatment, but wasn't concerned either? Most of the time if it is concerning they would send you to the er or urgent care. It can take months to get into derm, several weeks to get into ENT, and a dentist probably won't want to see you for a mucocele.

POP IT!!!
TerribleReadyHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT