ADVERTISEMENT

Mumm's Saloon

PlyHawk

Scout Team
Dec 2, 2021
What a place a to be in the 80's. After that, it turned into a dark, druggie shit hole.

No shirt No shoes Under age No problem. That gawdamn placed rocked like never before after the '85 Michigan game.

What a place to be after the game, or to watch an away game. I think they added the word "Eatery" on the sign, but all I remember is Cashews , pickled pigs feet and Turkey gizzards.

Fantastic bartenders (think Billy Suter) frisky ladies who'd love to take you home (Bon Air trailer park). Got down n' dirty at ole' Mumms.

Lots of fun playing pool. Weren't there steps behind the bar that went down to the river?

Benton Street Yacht Club and the annual Carp Tournament A lot of Hawkeyes like Chuck Long would pop in on occasion

HOw 'bout you?

What a place a to be in the 80's. After that, it turned into a dark, druggie shit hole.

No shirt No shoes Under age No problem. That gawdamn placed rocked like never before after the '85 Michigan game.

What a place to be after the game, or to watch an away game. I think they added the word "Eatery" on the sign, but all I remember is Cashews , pickled pigs feet and Turkey gizzards.

Fantastic bartenders (think Billy Suter) frisky ladies who'd love to take you home (Bon Air trailer park). Got down n' dirty at ole' Mumms.

Lots of fun playing pool. Weren't there steps behind the bar that went down to the river?

Benton Street Yacht Club and the annual Carp Tournament A lot of Hawkeyes like Chuck Long would pop in on occasion

HOw 'bout you?
I met your mom there.

I think if Mumm’s were still there, Big Grove might have found a different part of town to avoid competition.

Mumm's. Forgot that dump. It was fun, townie girls or sexy little fillies from farm country in the big town.

I got chased out of there by some CR bikers who felt I was cheating them at poker. Was it my fault they were all too wasted to count? Unfortunately, some of their skanks were sufficiently sober. I felt flight was my better option.

What was wrong with the Deadwood? Not the cleanest place in IC but no lines, except on game nights, few fights good video games and a steady diet of stoner peace and love girls. A little smokey perhaps.

Speaking of IC dive bars...the Crow's Nest above Gabe's. Bands almost every night of the week. No one ever went home alone. Hard to believe that was 40 years ago.

Mumm's. Forgot that dump. It was fun, townie girls or sexy little fillies from farm country in the big town.

I got chased out of there by some CR bikers who felt I was cheating them at poker. Was it my fault they were all too wasted to count? Unfortunately, some of their skanks were sufficiently sober. I felt flight was my better option.

What was wrong with the Deadwood? Not the cleanest place in IC but no lines, except on game nights, few fights good video games and a steady diet of stoner peace and love girls. A little smokey perhaps.

Speaking of IC dive bars...the Crow's Nest above Gabe's. Bands almost every night of the week. No one ever went home alone. Hard to believe that was 40 years ago.
I think I got lung cancer and emphysema at the deadwood in 30 minutes.

I liked old school Iowa city. It's lost much of its charm and has become a sanitized shit hole. Progress, am I rite?

About once a year I spend an afternoon and evening visiting the old haunts. As the years go by the number remaining drop and I am faced with the reality that while the town in ways grows younger and newer I am doing the opposite.

There was a naughty nurse from Iowa city on the yahoo personals in the late 90's early 00's. I met her one night at RT's.......things got crazy at RT's....she was a crazy one....

Reactions: GOHOX69
Not a "dump" per se, but Vito's was Iowa City debauchery at it's finest. Vomit on the floors, frat boys finger blasting sorority girls on the dance floor, David inviting naive co-eds to the basement to do lines. Meathead's pounding each other's faces into hamburger. It was fantastic! A lot of innocence was lost at that place and I'm sure a few diseases and unplanned pregnancies as well.

Not a "dump" per se, but Vito's was Iowa City debauchery at it's finest. Vomit on the floors, frat boys finger blasting sorority girls on the dance floor, David inviting naive co-eds to the basement to do lines. Meathead's pounding each other's faces into hamburger. It was fantastic! A lot of innocence was lost at that place and I'm sure a few diseases and unplanned pregnancies as well.
David haha. That dude was a fat molester :) And yes to everything about Vitos. My friend used to DJ there and I may or may not have had carnal relations with some sorority coeds. Dumb as bricks. Perfect.

I think Mumm's was at its zenith when Billie Suter was the head bartender. When he left to open his own "Billie's Bar" on the E. side of town (and taking some of the clientele with him), Mumms started into a slow fall.

A buddy and I went to shoot pool at Mumms in about 1983 or so. We won some money from some locals and they didn't much care for that. They ambushed us when we left. One of them stomped on my hand and split a finger nail.

38 years later it still grows out split.

ADVERTISEMENT