ADVERTISEMENT

Murin weigh-in

Murin weighed in at 139.6. Down from 141 last weigh-in. Making the descent to 133?

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Soren
157 Kem
165 Mar
174 Gunther
184 PD3
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

May not win but no holes in that lineup...

Any weight that doesn't have a high chance to AA is a hole. That means about 3 holes, though some could surprise. It's a good lineup, though.

Murin weighed in at 139.6. Down from 141 last weigh-in. Making the descent to 133?

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Soren
157 Kem
165 Mar
174 Gunther
184 PD3
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

174 looks like a huge hole to me. Unless Young can take over and be a major improvement.

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Soren
157 Kem
165 Mar
174 Gunther
184 PD3
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

Gawd, that's a good line-up.

Judging from the tape of the Luther Open match, I think Murin has a little more room to cut down to 133 than, say, Happel would. Maybe just a little freshman babyfat, but if he was cutting the way McDonough used to manage, he could get to 133. And he might want to strike while the iron is hot, getting a year of experience on the mat now, given what we have at 41/49 the next few years with Turk/Happel/Lugo in the mix. This year might be his best shot at extended mat time in the next three seasons. Turk is looking for reals. Boom Boom Boom.

174 looks like a huge hole to me. Unless Young can take over and be a major improvement.

I thought Gunther looked quite a bit stronger and more solid for 174 than Young did today. GunShow was getting stronger at the end of match #3 and finished with some power TD moves, while Young was fading and holding on.

Obv. Young had to cut down to 165, but according to the weigh-in sheets, they had both cut about the same amount since last official weigh in, for what that's worth. I'm sure it's fluctuated plenty over the 6 weeks, but it shows that Young's cut hasn't necessarily been all that sudden, if he was 172 at the October weigh-in. Gunther cut the same amount over that time period:

Young: from 172.2 on 10/5/17 to 164.2 today = 8.2 lbs
Gunther: from 180.7 on 10/4/17 to 172.6 today = 8.1 lbs

I thought Gunther looked quite a bit stronger and more solid for 174 than Young did today. GunShow was getting stronger at the end of match #3 and finished with some power TD moves, while Young was fading and holding on.

Obv. Young had to cut down to 165, but according to the weigh-in sheets, they had both cut about the same amount since last official weigh in, for what that's worth. I'm sure it's fluctuated plenty over the 6 weeks, but it shows that Young's cut hasn't necessarily been all that sudden, if he was 172 at the October weigh-in. Gunther cut the same amount over that time period:

Higher percentage of his weight though. I haven't seen either one recently but body composition would also contribute.

I really don't understand the lack of respect for Gunther. What he did last year as an unhearalded freshman was amazing and he seems to have improved since then.

Most on this site had Young pegged to be a mid AA, but the guy that beats him is a hole?!?!? I think many will be surprised. There is a ton of top end talent at 174 but I would be very surprised if Gunther didn't make the podium.

I really don't understand the lack of respect for Gunther. What he did last year as an unhearalded freshman was amazing and he seems to have improved since then.

Most on this site had Young pegged to be a mid AA, but the guy that beats him is a hole?!?!? I think many will be surprised. There is a ton of top end talent at 174 but I would be very surprised if Gunther didn't make the podium.
One way or another, it will get proven out eventually.

I thought Young looked on the smaller side even as a 65 pounder today. In my opinion he definitely would be a small 74 pounder this year.

On the hand I thought Kem looked quite big and has put on some muscle. Stoll has obviously slimmed down also.

I also thought Young looked small at 65. Stoll just needs to get more mat time to build up his shape. That match with buffalo is really gonna be good for him and I'm glad he gutted out the win. Kem is gonna be a monster this year, not like he wasn't last year.

Reactions: Dagboi and honkey69
I also thought Young looked small at 65. Stoll just needs to get more mat time to build up his shape. That match with buffalo is really gonna be good for him and I'm glad he gutted out the win. Kem is gonna be a monster this year, not like he wasn't last year.
Any chance of kem and bull swapping next year based on everyone saying how much bigger kem looked?

I dont know man. Amzing isn’t a word I’d use to describe Gunther last year. Mediocre might be. I honestly hope he improves greatly and can get a lot of wins or 174 will be another weak spot.

I dont know man. Amzing isn’t a word I’d use to describe Gunther last year. Mediocre might be. I honestly hope he improves greatly and can get a lot of wins or 174 will be another weak spot.
Show me a freshman with credentials similar to Gunther in high school that did as much on the big stage. He came from nowhere and nearly made the podium. I was amazed. The progress he has made in a short time to me is amazing.

Any chance of kem and bull swapping next year based on everyone saying how much bigger kem looked?
Kem is such a great wrestler!!! Being a big PA wrestling fan, I always envisioned Kem and Joseph scrapping for 4 years. Toss up in my opinion. I would love to see that come true for 2 years anyway. I doubt it happens:( The Bull is more than a worthy opponent though and hope he gets back healthy soon!

Reactions: Dagboi
Show me a freshman with credentials similar to Gunther in high school that did as much on the big stage. He came from nowhere and nearly made the podium. I was amazed. The progress he has made in a short time to me is amazing.
To me if a freshman almost made the podium, the next year shouldn't be considered a hole. He's already shown he has a good chance to be AA level.

To me if a freshman almost made the podium, the next year shouldn't be considered a hole. He's already shown he has a good chance to be AA level.

Like you, I have a positive opinion of Gunther and think he has a chance to AA someday but I’m not sure 2-3 wins from being on the podium qualifies as “almost.” Maybe it does. Idk.

Reactions: el dub
I don't think anyone disagrees that he has made great strides relative to his talent level coming out of high school. The issue is that "good chance to be AA level" is worth 2-4 points at NCAAs. To be in contention for a team title, a team must score >100 points, or an average of 10 points per weight class. Even a 3-time AA like Evans barely pulled his weight when it came to NCAA points, because he was a 3-time low AA. An individual scoring 2-4 points is a hole. We have too many guys like that, which is why we're predicted to score 40 points at NCAAs this year instead of 100. None of that takes anything away from the accomplishments of Gunther. We just need a Zahid or Mark Hall instead if we plan to win any more team titles.

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Soren
157 Kem
165 Mar
174 Gunther
184 PD3
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

That would be pretty strong, that assuming Murin is significantly better than laux.

125 Lee
133 Murin
141 Turk
149 Soren
157 Kem
165 Mar
174 Gunther
184 PD3
197 Warner
HWT Stoll

Also who says it couldn't win? PSU and okie state and Ohio state all have to deal with each other. I doubt that psu comes down with 5 more champs. 165, 184, 174 all can go another way. They are weak at 125 and 197. And unproven at 141. We need to stop acting like they are invincible and slay this giant.

Also who says it couldn't win? PSU and okie state and Ohio state all have to deal with each other. I doubt that psu comes down with 5 more champs. 165, 184, 174 all can go another way. They are weak at 125 and 197. And unproven at 141. We need to stop acting like they are invincible and slay this giant.

I know a couple of guys who think 49 and 57 could go another way, too.

YES. My point exactly. They aren’t posting all these huge pt totals if we start stripping away titles from the Fab Five From Last Year. How outlandish is it really to think that #2 can take out #1 when a title is on the line? SorenEagle damn near did it during the Big10 final last year.

We take away two of 3 at 49, 57, and 84, and we are right in it for team title. PLus of course the title at 25. :)

FREE THE LEE

I don't think anyone disagrees that he has made great strides relative to his talent level coming out of high school. The issue is that "good chance to be AA level" is worth 2-4 points at NCAAs. To be in contention for a team title, a team must score >100 points, or an average of 10 points per weight class. Even a 3-time AA like Evans barely pulled his weight when it came to NCAA points, because he was a 3-time low AA. An individual scoring 2-4 points is a hole. We have too many guys like that, which is why we're predicted to score 40 points at NCAAs this year instead of 100. None of that takes anything away from the accomplishments of Gunther. We just need a Zahid or Mark Hall instead if we plan to win any more team titles.

I agree with everything you wrote, but while we're waiting for our ship to come in, we need our so-called average wrestlers go out and show some serious disrespect to their opponents. We have had too many wrestlers that aim way too low - they want to win the wrestle-off, but don't want to risk much after that.

Agree with you here on theory.

As you've said, we need top guys and those top guys have GOT to produce. I believe we see Lee this year, but not sure about Warner. I think we'll know about that come Midlands, however hoping Cash steps up. We do have TOP guys in the lineup this year assuming Lee, at 125, 149, 157, 165, and 184. 285 we'll see on health and conditioning.....really hopeful on the health piece. We need support from the other weights, mainly 141, 174, 197 which is where a guy like Gunther can help out. Our coaches, HWC guys to train with and simply being "Iowa" could lift him

From afar, it looks like Murin is desperate to get in the lineup. Got to wonder if he's looking at 133 in his true frosh year. If he can make it and hold it, the next 4 years are wide open for him. That's a big big incentive to pull a McD/Kinseth

Agree with you here on theory.

As you've said, we need top guys and those top guys have GOT to produce. I believe we see Lee this year, but not sure about Warner. I think we'll know about that come Midlands, however hoping Cash steps up. We do have TOP guys in the lineup this year assuming Lee, at 125, 149, 157, 165, and 184. 285 we'll see on health and conditioning.....really hopeful on the health piece. We need support from the other weights, mainly 141, 174, 197 which is where a guy like Gunther can help out. Our coaches, HWC guys to train with and simply being "Iowa" could lift him

From afar, it looks like Murin is desperate to get in the lineup. Got to wonder if he's looking at 133 in his true frosh year. If he can make it and hold it, the next 4 years are wide open for him. That's a big big incentive to pull a McD/Kinseth
I think we'll get good help from Turk at 141. He looks to be doing all the right things.

Boy, being a dick seems to be your specialty.

Welcome to the conversation from the last 3-4 YEARS.
balloony.gif

I don't think so. When I see Kemerer he now looks like a 157 pounder. Last year he was a 149 wrestling 157. He's stronger and still has the quickness, he needs to stay at 157...he'll be a champ in a couple years

Reactions: andegre
I don't think so. When I see Kemerer he now looks like a 157 pounder. Last year he was a 149 wrestling 157. He's stronger and still has the quickness, he needs to stay at 157...he'll be a champ in a couple years
He can win it this year and the next two. I think Nolf is prob the 2nd best p4p this year after Snyder but any given sunday. The Dog wil have his day

YES. My point exactly. They aren’t posting all these huge pt totals if we start stripping away titles from the Fab Five From Last Year. How outlandish is it really to think that #2 can take out #1 when a title is on the line? SorenEagle damn near did it during the Big10 final last year.

We take away two of 3 at 49, 57, and 84, and we are right in it for team title. PLus of course the title at 25. :)

FREE THE LEE
The thing that separated Iowa in years past and probably PSU now, is that you don't rely on others to win your Team Titles. You take out the closest competition when the opportunity presents itself, and Iowa under Gable did that on a very consistent basis. Iowa under Brands has been poor at it and the proof is in the pudding.

Optimism is a wonderful thing, until reality rears its ugly head. Until Iowa as a team changes their NCAA performances up and down the lineup, the reality is we aren't winning it. Here's to hoping change is on the way! ;)

Reactions: Jaybird319
The thing that separated Iowa in years past and probably PSU now, is that you don't rely on others to win your Team Titles. You take out the closest competition when the opportunity presents itself, and Iowa under Gable did that on a very consistent basis. Iowa under Brands has been poor at it and the proof is in the pudding.

Optimism is a wonderful thing, until reality rears its ugly head. Until Iowa as a team changes their NCAA performances up and down the lineup, the reality is we aren't winning it. Here's to hoping change is on the way! ;)
That is why I want Cornell on the schedule. They are Iowa's NCAA Kryptonite. They wrestle a style that Iowa doesn't see much. You can't fix it if you don't know it's broken. Perry might help.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT