ADVERTISEMENT

Music Matchup #10: Van Morrison bs Beastie Boys

Well?

• Van Morrison

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Beastie Boys

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
Beastie Boys punk stuff before the rap stuff is awesome…

… then there is their punk-rooted groove stuff…

… and then just the groove stuff

and they can be really good live. I saw them in Chicago Lollapalooza shit 20 years or so ago. Wish I could have seen them in a small venue like this (picking up at the end of Intergalactic transitioning to Pass the Mic):

Last edited:
It only took the Beastie Boys 31 years to make the Rock n Roll HOF and out of their discography, only had 2 worst selling albums than Van Morrison's greatest selling album. :):):)
Astral Weeks is generally regarded as one of the greatest and most influential records ever recorded. Orders of magnitude better than anything ever put out by the Beastie Boys...and I really like the Beastie Boys but they fighting out of their weight class here.

It only took the Beastie Boys 31 years to make the Rock n Roll HOF and out of their discography, only had 2 worst selling albums than Van Morrison's greatest selling album. :):):)
Record sales indicate popularity more than they indicate artistic ability. A shitload of “Dogs Playing Poker” prints have been sold but you won’t find any hanging in The Louvre.

The Beastie Boys had talent but I wouldn’t call them artists, unless quoting AC/DC lyrics while rapping about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego constitutes art.

Record sales indicate popularity more than they indicate artistic ability. A shitload of “Dogs Playing Poker” prints have been sold but you won’t find any hanging in The Louvre.

The Beastie Boys had talent but I wouldn’t call them artists, unless quoting AC/DC lyrics while rapping about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego constitutes art.
And what qualifies you to define what constitutes Art (over anyone else)?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I will concede that Van Morrison's voice is greater than the Beastie Boys voice, but that's all he's got

I love the Beastie Boys, but your comments about Morrison border on insane. Albums like Moondance, St Dominic's Preview, Astral Weeks, Too Late to Stop Now are all classic. He could have stopped in 1975 and his legacy was secure.

Nothing. That’s one of the great things about music. Nobody’s opinion matters any more than anyone else’s. I’m allowed to think that a bunch of obnoxious Jewish rappers from Brooklyn aren’t artists and you’re allowed to insist that they are. And neither of us is wrong.

Reactions: Rudolph
Beastie boys are the soundtrack of my youth and the fun years of my life. I celebrate their entire catalog. Best show I’ve ever seen. Van Morrison is good but for me it’s Beasties AINEC.

I don't know art, but I know what I like. I like the Beastie Boys.

Likes aside, Van Morrison is a giant both in terms of talent and influence compared to them. He's head and shoulders and belt buckle over the BB's.

Reactions: StonesCat
I don't know art, but I know what I like. I like the Beastie Boys.

Likes aside, Van Morrison is a giant both in terms of talent and influence compared to them. He's head and shoulders and belt buckle over the BB's.

That's what I'm trying to do with a lot of these. Make people weigh their personal taste against influence/ history/ popularity, etc. And even if you hate both choices, most should hate one less than the other or appreciate that the group may have had a huge fan base...or a lot of talent.

It's really not about what constitutes "art"...if the question is about who sold the most albums, there's no point in discussing...just look up the numbers and be done. In other words, citing record sales in a contest like this is meaningless.

You can pick whoever you like more or you can evaluate them on talent and influence...either of those is subjective and worth talking about. Bringing who sold the most albums into it is just a waste of time.

It's really not about what constitutes "art"...if the question is about who sold the most albums, there's no point in discussing...just look up the numbers and be done. In other words, citing record sales in a contest like this is meaningless.

You can pick whoever you like more or you can evaluate them on talent and influence...either of those is subjective and worth talking about. Bringing who sold the most albums into it is just a waste of time.
Uhhh.... when I brought record sales it was very much tongue-in-cheek. That's why there are several smiley faces in the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT