ADVERTISEMENT

Muslim woman demands a different checker because of checker's cross necklace

This whitey knows the difference between a cheeseburger and a hamburger. Seems like the majority of the anger involves cheese in these situations. This man could educate us all.

Well, the customer is always right. Isn't that what businesses always say?

Anyway, she sounds like a nut and she's not doing American Muslims any favors with that type of closed-minded idiocy.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Because it's a 3rd hand story from someone cutting your hair with no corroboration. My BS detector goes off equally if the roles are reversed and it's a Christian woman refusing to be checked out by a Muslim woman wearing a burka.

Here's the thing, you consistently point out things you disagree with seeing members of the Somali community doing. I don't doubt you see these things, but you have an internal bias. I don't doubt your McD's story, I'm sure it happened. BUT, coming from someone who worked in restaurants for years in white bread Midwest Christian America, this stuff happens all the time. I think you notice it more because they stick out more in your mind.

Asshole doesn't have a race or religion, asshole is universal. Go talk to someone who has worked customer service in a retail store in the Midwest. The people you see doing this, it's not because they're Muslim or Somali or both, it's because they're assholes. Plenty of white Christian assholes as well.

There's really no reason to single out either side.

I have never heard of a customer holding up a line and asking an employee to be removed from her job based on religion. Until this incident. Have you? And that should not be acceptable. That customer should have been asked to leave the store for unacceptable behavior. Yet the manager stepped in in order to calm the situation down and to enable the line of frustrated customers to get checked out.

As I have said, Minneapolis / St Paul has a huge Somali population; so yes, it is easy to believe what happened at Cub Foods. In the second example, the guy was pissed when his car got door dinged and then being accused of disrespecting the Somali guy. In the 3rd example, unfortunately I eat at this particular McD's a lot. I have never seen anything like that occur at that restaurant. I felt bad for the McD guy; in that case, he, too, was being screamed at and being accused of not showing the proper respect.

Well, the customer is always right. Isn't that what businesses always say?

Anyway, she sounds like a nut and she's not doing American Muslims any favors with that type of closed-minded idiocy.

It's okay because 99% chance the story is untrue, based on evidence mentioned earlier.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I have never heard of a customer holding up a line and asking an employee to be removed from her job based on religion. Until this incident. Have you? And that should not be acceptable. That customer should have been asked to leave the store for unacceptable behavior. Yet the manager stepped in in order to calm the situation down and to enable the line of frustrated customers to get checked out.

As I have said, Minneapolis / St Paul has a huge Somali population; so yes, it is easy to believe what happened at Cub Foods. In the second example, the guy was pissed when his car got door dinged and then being accused of disrespecting the Somali guy. In the 3rd example, unfortunately I eat at this particular McD's a lot. I have never seen anything like that occur at that restaurant. I felt bad for the McD guy; in that case, he, too, was being screamed at and being accused of not showing the proper respect.

Do you believe all of the videos I posted of white people being assholes to workers? Your 2nd and 3rd examples had nothing to do with religion, just people being dicks. I posted a video of a white woman disparaging convenience store workers by yelling "allah, praise allah."

Again, you just harp on this Somali and Muslim thing... but asshole is across the board, it has no race, religion, or creed. Asshole is asshole. Why don't you start threads about white people being dicks, it happens all the time. Maybe you have never worked a service job in your life. Consider yourself lucky.

You're basically telling me that in your entire life you have never seen a non-Somali Muslim act like a dick in public to a service worker based on your 2nd and 3rd examples. If that's the case then you have lived a very charmed life, or barely leave the house.

You have a bias in you, I guarantee it.

Assimilate or leave. I hear that a lot from a lot of frustrated Twin Cites people.

And another source of frustration is we take in all of these refuges and we can't even give our Vets quality health care.

Interestingly enough, the same attitude prevailed during WWI and leading up to WWII and even after (up to about 1970). A lot of Germans still spoke German and lived in little "Germantowns" back east and in the Midwest. But there was a ton of hate toward Germans, even those who had been in-country since the 1840s.

Point being, "assimilation" is not usually chosen by immigrants. Historically it has been thrust on them through violence and other forms of coercion. For German-Americans that meant internment camps, lynching, and whatnot which led Germans to Americanize their last names and to stop speaking German in public and, for most, to stop speaking German entirely. Assimilation is not a pretty picture at all. It's the result of authoritarianism, anti-immigrant propaganda, and public fear-mongering.

(Scroll down to the World Wars section of this link): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Americans#World_War_II

Do you believe all of the videos I posted of white people being assholes to workers? Your 2nd and 3rd examples had nothing to do with religion, just people being dicks. I posted a video of a white woman disparaging convenience store workers by yelling "allah, praise allah."

Again, you just harp on this Somali and Muslim thing... but asshole is across the board, it has no race, religion, or creed. Asshole is asshole. Why don't you start threads about white people being dicks, it happens all the time. Maybe you have never worked a service job in your life. Consider yourself lucky.

You're basically telling me that in your entire life you have never seen a non-Somali Muslim act like a dick in public to a service worker based on your 2nd and 3rd examples. If that's the case then you have lived a very charmed life, or barely leave the house.

You have a bias in you, I guarantee it.

I will ask again. I have never heard of a customer holding up a line and asking an employee to be removed from her job based on religion. Until this incident. Have you?

I will ask again. I have never heard of a customer holding up a line and asking an employee to be removed from her job based on religion. Until this incident. Have you?

How do I even know your claim is true, you got it 3rd hand from someone giving you a haircut at wherever. You have no corroboration on this claim other than the 3rd hand story you got from the person cutting your hair. Furthermore, a similar story has been circulating around web for years, just replace "cross necklace" with "flag lapel." And your original post made no mention of her knowing the check out person, that would have been a pretty important piece of information. You added that after the fact. Sorry, I'm a skeptic, especially when you try to bolster the story about Somali's going wild in fast food joints, and then I post a bunch of videos of a bunch of white people being dickheads at fast food restaraunts. To reiterate, ALL RACES AND RELIGIONS HAVE DICKHEADS.

You just don't do your due diligence with these stories. Your hairdresser tells you some shit and you take it as gospel because you want it to be. You've already established beforehand you aren't a fan of Somali's. You hear a story that supports it and you're all in. That is who you are, you don't question it because you believed it before she even said it.
"Uh huh, yep, damn right."

I don't know your hairdresser, she might be the most amazing person ever.. but you have nothing to back it up with.

Sorry if I'm skeptical considering your opinions regarding Somali's on this board.

Reactions: artradley
The gal who cuts my hair said that a Cub Foods (grocery store here in the Twin Cities) checker was wearing a cross necklace. Apparently her lane was the only lane open.. A Somali woman came to her lane and demanded that somebody else check her out; she was offended by the cross necklace. The woman wearing the cross necklace refused to stand down. Eventually the manager came and checked the Muslim woman out so that he could get the issue over and finalized.

How would you have handled the situation? Asking the woman to remove her necklace would be like asking the Somali woman to remove her scarves and completely expose her head, imo.

Thoughts?

The Somali woman has become Americanized. We should be proud and not offended. Americans are such jerks about some things.

How do I even know your claim is true, you got it 3rd hand from someone giving you a haircut at wherever. You have no corroboration on this claim other than the 3rd hand story you got from the person cutting your hair. Furthermore, a similar story has been circulating around web for years, just replace "cross necklace" with "flag lapel." And your original post made no mention of her knowing the check out person, that would have been a pretty important piece of information. You added that after the fact. Sorry, I'm a skeptic, especially when you try to bolster the story about Somali's going wild in fast food joints, and then I post a bunch of videos of a bunch of white people being dickheads at fast food restaraunts. To reiterate, ALL RACES AND RELIGIONS HAVE DICKHEADS.

You just don't do your due diligence with these stories. Your hairdresser tells you some shit and you take it as gospel because you want it to be. You've already established beforehand you aren't a fan of Somali's. You hear a story that supports it and you're all in. That is who you are, you don't question it because you believed it before she even said it.
"Uh huh, yep, damn right."

I don't know your hairdresser, she might be the most amazing person ever.. but you have nothing to back it up with.

Sorry if I'm skeptical considering your opinions regarding Somali's on this board.
Ever heard the story about someone getting on the elevator in Vegas. I can't even remember the story(something that was said on the elevator that could be construed as threatening) but heard it from many years ago about Sinatra and then later about Eddie Murphy. The person who told the Murphy version claimed have heard from someone who had been to Vegas.

From my understanding, she knew the checker but go ahead and make the story seem untrue.

I don't know a ton about the Muslim faith, I will admit, but apparently they don't like statues of Christ, the Virgin Mary, and the cross.

A quick google search found this story from today, Nov 17. Care to comment or are you going to dismiss what is happening here and abroad?

A Christian man claims a group of Muslim teenagers of Middle Eastern appearance ripped off his silver Greek Orthodox necklace during an alleged attack on a Sydney train.

Mike, who did not wish to give his full name, said five teenagers physically attacked him and his girlfriend as he rode on a train between Campsie and Bankstown, in the city's south-west, on Tuesday afternoon.

'They ripped the cross off me, threw it to the ground, they said 'f**k Jesus, and then said they said 'Allah' after that,' he told Daily Mail Australia on Sunday.

Baptist reverend George Capsis, who is a family friend of Mike, claimed there had been a spate of attacks on Christians in south-west Sydney, adding he had told his parishioners in Croydon to be wary.

'This country is nominally Christian, you shouldn't have to hide your crucifix or your faith,' he said.

'I was just off the cuff saying to them, "If it looks as though there could be trouble, hide the cross for the time being. You've just got to be sort of practical".'

The 70-year-old former Cronulla Sharks chaplain, who has been a Baptist minister since 1980, said the attacks on Christians by Muslims appeared to be a recent phenomenon in Sydney, with four attacks in six months.

'You can't blame all the Muslim people, they just want to live as peacefully as they can,' he said.

The whole story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-man-claims-Muslim-teens-attacked-train.html

That was actually April 9, 2017, and no arrests have been made. Why did you lie about the date?

So let's just get this straight, you have a story, that you got from your hairdresser, that may or may not know a person who works the check out lanes at a Cubs Foods in Minneapolis, that a Muslim Woman wouldn't check out because the the Cashier had a cross, with nothing confirming the story. We have a known story circulating around the internet which is exactly the same scenario except you replace the cross with an American Flag lapel. You go on to post a couple personal experiences of Somali's at fast food restaurants acting badly to bolster your story, then post an article almost a year out of date of the year you stated..... in Australia.

Ok

And I'm supposed to believe you on this shit, that you're objective. OK.

Last edited:
That was actually April 9, 2017, and no arrests have been made. Why did you lie about the date?

So let's just get this straight, you have a story, that you got from your hairdresser, that may or may not know a person who works the check out lanes at a Cubs Foods in Minneapolis, that a Muslim Woman wouldn't check out because the the Cashier had a cross, with nothing confirming the story. We have a known story circulating around the internet which is exactly the same scenario except you replace the cross with an American Flag lapel. You go on to post a couple personal experiences of Somali's at fast food restaurants acting badly to bolster your story, then post an article almost a year out of date of the year you stated..... in Australia.

Ok

And I'm supposed to believe you on this shit, that you're objective. OK.

Once I read your first few sentences and realized you were trying to take a true story and twist it into a lie, I stopped reading.

Why do you turn your back on the truth?

Why didn't you answer my question above?

Says a lot about you.

You have nothing to add to this thread/discussion, obviously.

So, how would you have handled the situation if you were the cashier?

What if you were the person in Australia where you got attacked because of your cross necklace?

I guess people should just stop wearing cross necklaces.

Probably taken the necklace off and checked her through since that’s my job, checking out groceries, not practicing my preferred religion in a checkout lane on company time or getting in a Mexican standoff with a customer who’s having a problem with it (let me be clear here, I think this entire story is a fabrication).

In the Australian situation I’d just pick up my necklace I guess. No sense in getting your ass kicked by a gang of youths on a train.

Pick your battles wisely.

Once I read your first few sentences and realized you were trying to take a true story and twist it into a lie, I stopped reading.

Why do you turn your back on the truth?

Why didn't you answer my question above?

Says a lot about you.

You have nothing to add to this thread/discussion, obviously.

A true story... that you heard.. from your hairdresser(I'm sure it's an extravagant cut worthy of Cost Cutters). Then you quoted a story that you said was posted on Nov. 17th, 2017 when it was actually April 9, of 2017 in Australia, you obviously don't do your research or check anything, so therefore I'm supposed to assume that you actually checked up on your hairdressers story like a bajillion other Facebook morons that post stuff about Einstein quotes as fact. You are one of those people, I'm trying to help you here. Be better than that. Somali's aren't your enemy, your own lack of followup is.

A true story... that you heard.. from your hairdresser(I'm sure it's an extravagant cut worthy of Cost Cutters). Then you quoted a story that you said was posted on Nov. 17th, 2017 when it was actually April 9, of 2017 in Australia, you obviously don't do your research or check anything, so therefore I'm supposed to assume that you actually checked up on your hairdressers story like a bajillion other Facebook morons that post stuff about Einstein quotes as fact. You are one of those people, I'm trying to help you here. Be better than that. Somali's aren't your enemy, your own lack of followup is.

Now you incorporating assumptions with a bunch of lies.

Why do you lie so much and not stay on topic?

@Franisdaman's posts in this thread read like Chris Griffin taking an interest in a non-issue issue.

Chris-Griffin-Family-Guy-Character-Pictures+(2).png

Just for general education the size of the twin cities is 3.28 million.

There are about 25,000 Somalis living there.

Huge population at .76%.

Interestingly enough, the same attitude prevailed during WWI and leading up to WWII and even after (up to about 1970). A lot of Germans still spoke German and lived in little "Germantowns" back east and in the Midwest. But there was a ton of hate toward Germans, even those who had been in-country since the 1840s.

Point being, "assimilation" is not usually chosen by immigrants. Historically it has been thrust on them through violence and other forms of coercion. For German-Americans that meant internment camps, lynching, and whatnot which led Germans to Americanize their last names and to stop speaking German in public and, for most, to stop speaking German entirely. Assimilation is not a pretty picture at all. It's the result of authoritarianism, anti-immigrant propaganda, and public fear-mongering.

Just for general education the size of the twin cities is 3.28 million.

There are about 25,000 Somalis living there.

Huge population at .76%.

I noticed that Wikipedia has the same 25,000 number you are using. Seriously? Wikipedia was your source?

The truth? Well, it seems like you and others can't handle the truth, but here comes the truth!

Per the New York Times, Minneapolis is home to some 30,000 Somalis.

Source: https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/somalia-minneapolis-arthur-nazaryan-photos/

Minneapolis' population? 419,000.

Source:
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...ion-boom-like-the-roaring-twenties/422600314/

So, for Minneapolis alone, Somalis make up 7.2 % of the population, not the incredibly insanely low number you posted.

So, why did you so blatantly lie and mislead people in your post? Is it because you really have no idea what is gong on in Minneapolis/ St Paul because you do not live here? Don't worry, I know the answer to my own question.

I don't expect an apology but you should apologize for misleading people and for making false claims.

And yet Fran seems to encounter several every day.

As I stated above, Wikipedia was the source for that poster's false information. And you blindly believed him.

The truth? Well, it seems like you and others can't handle the truth, but here comes the truth!

Per the New York Times, Minneapolis is home to some 30,000 Somalis.

Source: https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/somalia-minneapolis-arthur-nazaryan-photos/

Minneapolis' population? 419,000.

Source:
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...ion-boom-like-the-roaring-twenties/422600314/

So, for Minneapolis alone, Somalis make up 7.2 % of the population, not the incredibly insanely low number that was posted.

So, I simply ask this: why did that poster blatantly lie and mislead people? And why did you so easily fall for his lie?

If I were the manager, I would have told the customer to leave. You don't get to discriminate against my employees because of their religion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT