ADVERTISEMENT

My Ex emailing another coach....

I coached LL one year and youth teeball/basketball/flag football for the IC rec department for a few years. Most of the parents were great and helpful. There were a handful, though, that made you want to quit coaching. Had one lady berate me about why her kid wasn't pitching, even though he has pictched a couple times and skipped 90% of his pitches to the plate.

I reffed a middle school girls bball tournament one day. Had a lady chase me down to tell me it was the worst officiating she'd ever seen and it was my fault her kids team lost.... The score was 38-1. Not kidding.

Reactions: belezabro
To the guy who had a buddy coach high school sports. Coached high school sports once had a grandpa anonymously text me who should be batting where etc. Took me a couple weeks to figure out who it was since I didn't have the number. The best is when parents will come talk to you why Billy hasn't been to like volunteer work outs etc for such and such reasons. Don't worry Billys playing time will reflect being lazy, not because he/she missed but because other kids got better by showing up. Parents are a special breed of cat I love going to high school events sitting quietly in stands and just watching. I have officiated as well 3 varsity sports so I tend to know most of the rules. I know I learned quick it does no good to argue judgment calls stick to arguing a rules based call.

If you have basic communication and leadership skills, it's rare to have serious issues with parents while coaching their kids. Set the expectations up front, communicate clearly with how all things will be handled, and be a positive influence on the kids and only the real head case parents will give you issues. Usually the other parents will help deal with those over time as well. It doesn't hurt to coach teams where you have some roster input so you can weed out the problem parents and kids from year to year if need be.

Reactions: hawkifann
Many good comments so far here.

The other thing I would like to add is that "those parents" are the ones that sometime don't want to get involved in helping to coach, have little knowledge of the game, or think their financial investment gives them the "right" to bitch.

I ask you nicely to not say anything like that on this board (or anywhere would be great) again, even in jest.

I knew I crossed the line. I should have done better. I'm gonna change it. It was awful. (Nice pic though, huh?)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT