ADVERTISEMENT

My exhibition observations

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
First the qualifiers......this was one very early exhibition game and really what we take from this is very limited, or maybe doesn't hold up very long as the season moves along. More importantly I am no basketball expert, so take this for what it is worth.

Well before the game started a couple of the coaches had the guys out doing some defensive drills. It looked like they were giving good effort and were intent on doing them right. When the game started I heard a lot of talk on the floor between the players...communicating with each other. Particularly Tyler Cook was yelling things out.

Defensively, overall, the game was pretty much over mid-way through the first half.....and there seemed to be a very slight reduction in intensity...I think it was something like 40-12 at that point.

Individually there were a few players that stood out to me....Cook was passing the ball, playing defense, and rebounding. He seemed to have a very balanced effort beyond just scoring. I liked what I saw a lot.

Joe W.....looked to be a major, major upgrade at the wing. He was everything that the people who have seen him play, said he was. His rebounding was very good. His defense looked good, he is athletic and plays with great confidence. He's tough inside, and he's tough outside. His demeanor is really good. He's just very steady and appears to be all business.

I am just stunned that Garza is where he is after what he went through. He looked like the good Garza that we saw at the end of last year.

Pemsl came in for Cook initially I think...and he looked very good. He seemed to play pretty good defense and scored opportunistically. He appears to be ahead of Nunge as the primary backup for TC....again, very early but Nunge appears to be the last guy in on the front court.

Maishe looks good.....I wish he didn't have to play the PG position because he is a talented wing. With JB sitting the game out, Maishe was the second PG behind Connor and did reasonably well running the offense. That said, Maishe can score on his own. His 3 looked good and he drove it a couple of times and looked good.

Moss had a very strong game....early in the game he was lighting it up and going to the basket aggresively.....that said, Fran starting subbing shortly after the Hawks went on a run to open up the game and after that there were a lot of guys in the rotation.

NB had some NB moments and mostly resembled his old self.

Ryan K played, subbing in the post...played pretty well.

Connor was okay (looks physically ready to match up)....ran things well, played pretty good defense. He had a few bad passes and his dad got after him pretty good a couple of times.

Nunge appeared to be at the end of the rotation....that said he hit some threes.

Overall it was what you would expect in an exhibition...everyone played. Walk ons played a lot. The Hawks looked pretty good but a little ragged at times...as expected in their first action against someone other than themselves.

I left most excited about Cook, Joe, Moss, Garza, Maishe, and Pemsl...they might look completely different this next Thursday night? Wish I was going then as well.

**Last but not least, 18 turnovers for the game, maybe 10 of those in the first half. After the game Fran said he was a little bothered by that (summarizing) but thought that with the way they ran and scored ( over 100) they would have a few more than he liked and that those should come down. I'm not worried (yet) about those.

Last edited:
JoeW looks good but he will have freshman ups and downs as he adjusts to a quicker pace of game, good news is I think there will be quite a bit more ups than downs.

Moss is still Moss, looks brilliant at times and totally disappears at others.

Connor was pressing a bit but will be serviceable. Tried to force a few passes but then also had a few brilliant feeds. Should get 15mpg with JoBo getting around 25.

Cook looked better, more under control and much better rebounding the ball. He is going to be a beast this year.

Garza is just so good offensively. He doesn’t move all that well, big body, but he just has so much touch around the rim (and from deep), he also never gives less than 100%...I love this kid.

Dailey looked solid and will be a really nice weapon at the 3 (don’t want to see him too much at PG but he is serviceable there).

Kriener has had better games but he also did some good work around the hoop in transition. He is going to foul a lot, just better get used to it.

NB did what NB does, spark off the bench who will sometimes really get the team going and at other times have little to no impact.

Pemsl, he certainly is moving better and giving more effort. Feels like a 10mpg type of player.

Nunge, I know a lot of people like him but I don’t think he has it. If Fran thinks he can play long term I would consider redshirting him but right now he is behind Pemsl and only should get garbage time IMO.

CJ Fredrick will redshirt and will help to balance the class. How did Riley Till or Ash look? Think one of them can get 3 to 8 mins to shoot 3s, take Ellingson's spot?

CJ Fredrick will redshirt and will help to balance the class. How did Riley Till or Ash look? Think one of them can get 3 to 8 mins to shoot 3s, take Ellingson's spot?

Till looked decent. Ash is a scout team player his whole career, glad he got some time today.

I thought Till looked better than Nunge but if he is getting time this team is in trouble (or smoking everyone).

Reactions: hawks2thetop
First the qualifiers......this was one very early exhibition game and really what we take from this is very limited, or maybe doesn't hold up very long as the season moves along. More importantly I am no basketball expert, so take this for what it is worth.

Well before the game started a couple of the coaches had the guys out doing some defensive drills. It looked like they were giving good effort and were intent on doing them right. When the game started I heard a lot of talk on the floor between the players...communicating with each other. Particularly Tyler Cook was yelling things out.

Defensively, overall, the game was pretty much over first way through the first half.....and there seemed to be a very slight reduction in intensity...I think it was something like 40-12 at that point.

Individually there were a few players that stood out to me....Cook was passing the ball, playing defense, and rebounding. He seemed to have a very balanced effort beyond just scoring. I liked what I saw a lot.

Joe W.....looked to be a major, major upgrade at the wing. He was everything that the people who have seen him play, said he was. His rebounding was very good. His defense looked good, he is athletic and plays with great confidence. He's tough inside, and he's tough outside. His demeanor is really good. He's just very steady and appears to be all business.

I am just stunned that Garza is where he is after what he went through. He looked like the good Garza that we saw at the end of last year.

Pemsl came in for Cook initially I think...and he looked very good. He seemed to play pretty good defense and scored opportunistically. He appears to be ahead of Nunge as the primary backup for TC....again, very early but Nunge appears to be the last guy in on the front court.

Maishe looks good.....I wish he didn't have to play the PG position because he is a talented wing. With JB sitting the game out, Maishe was the second PG behind Connor and did reasonably well running the offense. That said, Maishe can score on his own. His 3 looked good and he drove it a couple of times and looked good.

Moss had a very strong game....early in the game he was lighting it up and going to the basket aggresively.....that said, Fran starting subbing shortly after the Hawks went on a run to open up the game and after that there were a lot of guys in the rotation.

NB had some NB moments and mostly resembled his old self.

Ryan K played, subbing in the post...played pretty well.

Connor was okay (looks physically ready to match up)....ran things well, played pretty good defense. He had a few bad passes and his dad got after him pretty good a couple of times.

Nunge appeared to be at the end of the rotation....that said he hit some threes.

Overall it was what you would expect in an exhibition...everyone played. Walk ons played a lot. The Hawks looked pretty good but a little ragged at times...as expected in their first action against someone other than themselves.

I left most excited about Cook, Joe, Moss, Garza, Maishe, and Pemsl...they might look completely different this next Thursday night? Wish I was going then as well.

**Last but not least, 18 turnovers for the game, maybe 10 of those in the first half. After the game Fran said he was a little bothered by that (summarizing) but thought that with the way the ran and scored ( over 100) they would have a few more than he liked and that those should come down. I'm not worried (yet) about those.
I am in tune with your impressions. I don’t think you can overemphasize Joe’s performance. This was his first college game and he was the leading scorer in the game. He is one of our better defenders. He is smart and knows what he is doing out there.

I think we are going to love Tyler Cook this year. He looks to finally have an all around game. He is a complete player and made the first 3 pointer of the season.

I believe Iowa will be a very physical team this year. Those younguns are big and strong.

I was quite impressed with Maishe. He is close to unseating Moss.

Too many turnovers and Riley Till missed a dunk. That is it for criticism. I do believe we have a good team this year.

We’re gonna like the Hawks this year if Cook can be as good as LeBron on a consistent basis

images

Reactions: jellyfish10
My key thoughts and observations of the game, which I watched on BTN Plus.

1) The broadcast was the best quality I've seen for BTN Plus games. It didn't freeze up for once. My only complaint was the female student reporter they had on the sideline. I know she is only a student, but she needs to switch majors quick. She was awful. :p

2) Wieskamp- He did not disappoint. Joe has a complete game. He can shoot, take it to the rack, dunk, rebound, pass to the open shooter, etc. Also, I was impressed by his defense for a freshman. He reminds me of that Maryland guard who went to the NBA this year.

3) Moss- He is probably the second best 3 point shooter behind Bohannon. This dude is so talented, but I agree with everyone that he disappears at times after looking amazing. He needs to focus and PLAY to his potential every minute he's in the game. His defense looks a little better but still needs work.

4) Garza- He had a few nice plays inside and is moving around as if he didn't have a 10lb. cyst removed only a few weeks ago. I think he will average more points and rebounds this year. His defense still seems suspect. Someone that tall needs to be blocking or disrupting way more shots.

5) McCaffrey- He started in place of the injured Bohannon. I think he was nervous or still getting his groove back. I was not impressed with his play, particularly against a Division 3 team. I think he had 4-5 bad passes that were turnovers. His shot looks weird and I have little confidence it's going in when he shoots it. The positive is he moves the ball much better and is unselfish. Also, he will be a quality backup when Bohannon needs to rest.

6) Cook- He looks like the exact same player to me, however, he played a little more unselfishly and tried to pass the ball out when he was double-teamed. Cook can dunk with the best of them, but he is still a liability on defense and turns the ball over way too much when dribbling through traffic.

7) Baer- He looked much more like himself as a freshman. He was very active on both ends of the floor and looked like our best defensive player. Baer will be an excellent backup to Wiescamp at the 3, or when Wiescamp plays the two.

8) Nunge and Pemsl- Unfortunately, neither of them stood out to me. I think Nunge has talent, but he probably won't shine until Cook leaves for the NBA or graduates.

9) Daily- I know it was only one game, but he seemed more confident than McCaffrey as the backup point guard and played under control.

These exhibition games are BORING. We need to get some better competition to get a better read on their progress.

Reactions: hagarwood
Watched on BTN Plus. Agree that sideline reporter was very amateur even for college.

Kriener had 4 fouls and took a bad 3. He's got a lot of confidence, but he's also overconfident at times.

Joe looked really good. Almost too deferential - which is expected for a freshman - but played within himself. He's the missing piece for sure at the 3.

If Tyler can bring his all around, Draymond Green style game to real competition - watch out! Then with JBo, Garza, Joe and Moss, we are stacked 1-5. I expect this to be a much better passing team on offense.

Glad to finally hear and see some Hawkeye basketball! (I listened to the game while working, and then broke down & bought BTN+). Way too long of a bball break for this Iowa fan.

Joe W is all that and a bag of chips. His all-around game is impressive. He knows where to go moving through traffic. He probably has more experience with that than anyone, after years of double and triple teams. We are going to really like this guy .

TC looks improved. He was aggressive on both ends. And played unselfish ball. Dishing it when double teamed. SEVEN assists to one turnover?? Yes please!

Maishe is my guy. I just like his all-around game. The added weight is welcome. Still wish he would have redshirted. But he is a very serviceable player at the 1-3.

Moss. What everyone else said. If he can shine at some point every game, I will take it! Especially if it is when we need it.

Garza is the man. He just has it around the rim. He is going to have a great Hawkeye career.

Connor. Well let's just hope it was first game jidders. 1 to 4 assist to turnovers ratio. 0-3 from 3. Yikes! That's the inverse of JBo. But it was the first game, in a while, under the lights. Jidders, we hope.

Pemsl slimmed down looked good. He has Nunge's minutes so far.

Nunge. Can he still redshirt? I think he has tons of potential. But it won't be shown much this year. Fran NEEDS to cut down on how deep his bench goes. The only problem is that he won't do it.... Jack, please help out the team (and your future) and redshirt.

Kreiner is big and aggressive. Love that. Cut down on the fouls and he will be solid.

Baer is back. Love me some Baer cage! He will have a good senior season.

This was Guilford, so it was tough in some ways to judge. Although the mistakes did shine to me. Those 18 turnovers were not good. And too many second chances for a very undersized D3 team. Hopefully it was first game jidders.

Either way we got some film to work with. Thursday night will be more telling playing guys that are in scholarships.

Getting JBo back will change this team for the better in a big way. Without him we could be in trouble. With him I think we have the most complete team Fran has had. We will see real soon! Oregon in 10 days!

Reactions: 750075
Does anyone know the number of possessions in the game?

18 turnovers is high, yes. But because of our offensive style that plays a high number of possessions typically, it might not be as bad as that number seems at first look. For instance in an average Big Ten number of possessions style game that ratio may only equal 14 or 15 turnovers. High, but not as horrible.

Plus, only 5 of those turnovers came from future starters assuming JBo will be healthy, who averaged less than 20 minutes each. 12 from second stringers who played a combined 101 minutes. And 1 from the walkons that played a combined 20.5 minutes. With JBo not playing and the rest of the starters playing way under their normal number of minutes, we have no idea how our ball security will turn out.

How you can improve playing against a D3 team that you beat 103-46 is beyond me. It was a waste of everyone's time. It didn't help either team, and it was unwatchable as a fan. Other than that, great day for Iowa basketball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know the number of possessions in the game?

18 turnovers is high, yes. But because of our offensive style that plays a high number of possessions typically, it might not be as bad as that number seems at first look. For instance in an average Big Ten number of possessions style game that ratio may only equal 14 or 15 turnovers. High, but not as horrible.

Plus, only 5 of those turnovers came from future starters assuming JBo will be healthy, who averaged less than 20 minutes each. 12 from second stringers who played a combined 101 minutes. And 1 from the walkons that played a combined 20.5 minutes. With JBo not playing and the rest of the starters playing way under their normal number of minutes, we have no idea how our ball security will turn out.

Good point on the TOs. I think need to think of it in terms of number of possessions... That and JBo will make a huge difference

How you can improve playing against a D3 team that you beat 103-46 is beyond me. It was waste of everyone's time. It didn't help either team, and it was unwatchable as a fan. Other than that, great day for Iowa basketball.

The answer is you can't really. The benefit is the new guys get to go through warmups and playing in the arena before real games start. That's about it. Everyone "looked good" but it's impossible not to when every guy is physically better than the guy matched up on the other team. Wieskamp is going to be a really good player, in fact I thought he could have helped Iowa each of the last 2 years with his all-around game. He will have nights where he looks lost and/or overmatched against real Division I basketball players, but he knows how to play, is a legit 6-6 and a good enough athletes that he can succeed.

What I watched of the exhibition was fine in terms of effort, but I still saw way too many possessions where Iowa gets away with not making good basketball plays just because the other team is awful. Garza scores with 2-3 guys around him, which is fine, but I'd like to see him throw the ball back out to people who are more open. You don't get away with going after 2 defenders against good competition. It's a minor detail, but it's minor details that get you in basketball. Making any judgements about how ready certain players are to contribute this year is foolish based on playing this type of competition.

Positives - guys look like they have dedicated themselves to getting better in terms of taking care of themselves. Cook is moving better. Kriener is bigger. Pemsl is slimmer.
Negatives - can't tell right now.

UMKC and Green Bay should tell us a bit about Iowa. Neither is great, but both are better than Bryant, Savannah State and Alabama State. If we see Iowa beating UMKC and Green Bay but doing so just by being more talented than be concerned. Last year, Iowa opened with Alabama State, Chicago State and Grambling State. Iowa won fairly easily in all 3, but the opponents were awful and the defense was bad in all of those games. As soon as Iowa played an opponent with a pulse in Louisiana, Hawks were toast.

JoeW looks good but he will have freshman ups and downs as he adjusts to a quicker pace of game, good news is I think there will be quite a bit more ups than downs.
Great point. I had to remind myself during the game that Joe W faced AAU competition better than what he saw in Guilford.

Maybe next year's exhibition should be against a University of Iowa intramural all-star team. Now that might be kinda fun, and it would be a contest against much better athletes than the ones who faced the Hawkeyes yesterday.

Moss is still Moss, looks brilliant at times and totally disappears at others.

Connor was pressing a bit but will be serviceable. Tried to force a few passes but then also had a few brilliant feeds. Should get 15mpg with JoBo getting around 25.

Cook looked better, more under control and much better rebounding the ball. He is going to be a beast this year.

Garza is just so good offensively. He doesn’t move all that well, big body, but he just has so much touch around the rim (and from deep), he also never gives less than 100%...I love this kid.

Dailey looked solid and will be a really nice weapon at the 3 (don’t want to see him too much at PG but he is serviceable there).

Kriener has had better games but he also did some good work around the hoop in transition. He is going to foul a lot, just better get used to it.

NB did what NB does, spark off the bench who will sometimes really get the team going and at other times have little to no impact.

Pemsl, he certainly is moving better and giving more effort. Feels like a 10mpg type of player.

Nunge, I know a lot of people like him but I don’t think he has it. If Fran thinks he can play long term I would consider redshirting him but right now he is behind Pemsl and only should get garbage time IMO.
Maybe you don't realize the level of play Joey dubya went against in AAU and the elite camps and tournies he went to. He's already played against the best top 20 players in the country. The pace of those NBA elite games is furious and he led his team to the championship. He may have an off shooting night, but he'll have NO problem with the speed of play. The thing about him, if he's feeling it, he'll 3 point you to death and if he's not, he can take about ANYONE to hoop and beat them.....or he can stop and pop with the best of them. He's not one dimensional like a lot of 2 or 3's we've had.
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eskamp-nba-top-100-camp-recruiting/408378001/

Maybe you don't realize the level of play Joey dubya went against in AAU and the elite camps and tournies he went to. He's already played against the best top 20 players in the country. The pace of those NBA elite games is furious and he led his team to the championship. He may have an off shooting night, but he'll have NO problem with the speed of play. The thing about him, if he's feeling it, he'll 3 point you to death and if he's not, he can take about ANYONE to hoop and beat them.....or he can stop and pop with the best of them. He's not one dimensional like a lot of 2 or 3's we've had.
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eskamp-nba-top-100-camp-recruiting/408378001/

You are probably right, he will never have a bad game and those elite AAU camps always brings a really high level of defense game in and game out. If you think Joe is going to moon-walk through the big ten night in and night out prepare yourself to be disappointed bc no one is immune from bad games.

You are probably right, he will never have a bad game and those elite AAU camps always brings a really high level of defense game in and game out. If you think Joe is going to moon-walk through the big ten night in and night out prepare yourself to be disappointed bc no one is immune from bad games.
We were talking about 'adjusting to the speed of the game'. Not sure how you missed that. Your whole commentary is pretty much irrelevant and irreverent to the point of the conversation and somewhat 'snarky'. I said nothing of anyone being immune from bad games (in fact I mentioned off shooting nights) and certainly didn't say anything about anyone 'moonwalking'. Thanks for your over dramatic response, lol.

I remember JBO’s first 3 or 4 games thinking he would never make a shot...then he caught fire against a decent team and never looked back, shooting-wise.

Connor will be fine, too.

I remember JBO’s first 3 or 4 games thinking he would never make a shot...then he caught fire against a decent team and never looked back, shooting-wise.

Connor will be fine, too.

I hope you are right. I do think he will play better. Once JBo is in there to take control, there won't be nearly the pressure

Reactions: perryhawk
All i can say is we have 4 to 5 good 3 point shooters this year that in itself excites me

Just watched the replay. Love the Hawks but until we get a true PG and more athleticism at the guard position...it will be hard to get past the mid tier of the conference. Not trying to be gloom and doom and can't wait to watch each game but it is what it is. Joe W. looks as advertised and he could be something special.

I've seen video of games played at the NBA Elite camps....in no way do they compare to the speed or physicality of a Big Ten basketball game. To argue otherwise is laughable.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT