ADVERTISEMENT

My Experience at Jack Trice

Tailgater371

Scout Team
Nov 27, 2021
Was pretty bad. My wife and sister are ISU fans and me and my son are Iowa fans. We came across an opportunity to get tickets for the game in the Sukup endzone. We were enjoying the game in the second quarter when my son got up to go the restroom. On his way by a group of teens talked a little shit to him. Being a young adult himself he said something back. Then the dad/grandpa old guardian whatever decided he needed to get involved. After some banter my son went on to the RR. On his way back to his seat he was stopped by security and told he was being kicked out.

He asked for an explanation, and they didn't give him a reason. Just said it didn't matter what he did (or didn't do), and they didn't need to know. I hope for the sake of ISU at least this guy was "somebody" and they just did whatever he said. Doesn't give this dickhead a pass. First time back at Jack Trice in 12 years or so, likely my last.

I will add that my sone did come back in and I ran into him up in the endzone club. The group turned around and saw us and the whole damn family (4 plus kids, couple dads, and mom) came into the club and got in our faces. The kids kept running their mouths, so of course my son wouldn't shut his either. They kept threatening, so he decided just to leave before he was cuffed by security. At the time I didn't know what went down so I let it go. What a crock of bull shit! **** that god forsaken place and their fans.

I will add my son ran into a family friend who I will say "knows" a lot of people and generally can pull strings. He tried talking to the security on his behalf. Finally went back to him and said "you just need to go or they are going to arrest you. It's your shirt man" meaning he was a Hawk fan. Now mind you they didn't kick him out of the stadium, just where he could get get back to his seat.

I say the following knowing the entire episode is messed up.

If your son hadn't responded to the bullshit, multiple times apparently, none of this would have happened.

You have to know that crowd behavior nowadays is terrible. People just love being assholes. So, being a Hawk shirt wearing attendee in their stadium is probably going to attract unwanted attention.

Best to let the shitheads have their "idiot fun" and Be The Adult...and let it go unless it involves anything physical or with children.

I used to sit in the Stinkin' Gator sections every other year when we played them. Drove them nuts, and had a lot of antagonism thrown in my direction, but never was told to move, etc.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Was pretty bad. My wife and sister are ISU fans and me and my son are Iowa fans. We came across an opportunity to get tickets for the game in the Sukup endzone. We were enjoying the game in the second quarter when my son got up to go the restroom. On his way by a group of teens talked a little shit to him. Being a young adult himself he said something back. Then the dad/grandpa old guardian whatever decided he needed to get involved. After some banter my son went on to the RR. On his way back to his seat he was stopped by security and told he was being kicked out.

He asked for an explanation, and they didn't give him a reason. Just said it didn't matter what he did (or didn't do), and they didn't need to know. I hope for the sake of ISU at least this guy was "somebody" and they just did whatever he said. Doesn't give this dickhead a pass. First time back at Jack Trice in 12 years or so, likely my last.

I will add that my sone did come back in and I ran into him up in the endzone club. The group turned around and saw us and the whole damn family (4 plus kids, couple dads, and mom) came into the club and got in our faces. The kids kept running their mouths, so of course my son wouldn't shut his either. They kept threatening, so he decided just to leave before he was cuffed by security. At the time I didn't know what went down so I let it go. What a crock of bull shit! **** that god forsaken place and their fans.

I will add my son ran into a family friend who I will say "knows" a lot of people and generally can pull strings. He tried talking to the security on his behalf. Finally went back to him and said "you just need to go or they are going to arrest you. It's your shirt man" meaning he was a Hawk fan. Now mind you they didn't kick him out of the stadium, just where he could get get back to his seat.
Sorry it was a shitty experience, also **** 'em. Go hawks.

Why you would go to any sporting event in Ames wearing Iowa attire is beyond me, their fans are the worst I've ever encountered.

Your son sounds like a jackass.
I'm guessing this isn't the sympathy OP was looking for, but it's spot on. You go into enemy territory wearing gear, expect to get harassed. OPs son Fd around and found out. I went to Fisher Price one time and was harrased pretty bad, never responded to any of it.

Nice reply. He’s 20 and doesn’t suffer bull shit lightly. Should he have just kept waking? Probably, did he warrant getting kicked out? No.
Nice reply? Getting into arguments at sporting events with strangers is one of the dumbest things you can do. 20 or 50 doesn't matter. Teach him to take the high road when it comes to trivial shit.

Why you would go to any sporting event in Ames wearing Iowa attire is beyond me, their fans are the worst I've ever encountered.

Your son sounds like a jackass.
Animated GIF

Often you are better off saying nothing. Escalation in today’s world could be lethal.

Doesn’t mKe it right but the “long game” is staying alive and healthy.

I often ride bike alone on roads and get honked at, swore at, the middle finger etc. sure it would be satisfying to respond but I am along on a bike wearing tights. Not going to end well.

Lots of Aholes out there. I tread lightly.

He didn’t get to watch the game, if that was his goal he chose his actions poorly.

Last edited:
Reactions: VodkaSam and Ree4
My daughter went with an Iowa shirt on and it went perfectly fine.

Sat in some of the best seats available surrounded by ISU fans.

I’m sure she drank a little as well, just wasn’t a dbag.

• Haha
Reactions: GlenHawk
I haven't been to JTS since 2011 when my 16-year-old brother was sucker punched by an ISU student walking out of the stadium. It was a totally unprovoked, fly-by assault as he ran away immediately after doing it, but he chose to punch the 110 lb kid over everyone else walking out.

They are just a very bitter, nasty fanbase as a whole.

The 2002 night game at Kinnick was brutal. People had all day to drink. The language in the stands was "colorful". An Isu kid took a white T-shirt and just wrote "F Iowa" on the back in marker. People were yelling "F you Mouther Fer", etc.

The media loves this game way more than the fans.

I went and didn’t hear a peep out of anyone before during or after.

I’m going to Wisconsin in a few weeks. I’m expecting a different experience.

Reactions: IACub
Nice reply? Getting into arguments at sporting events with strangers is one of the dumbest things you can do. 20 or 50 doesn't matter. Teach him to take the high road when it comes to trivial shit.
Yeah I used this as a teaching moment.
Kind of hypocritical for you to talk about letting trivial shit go while feeling it necessary to tell someone their kid is a jackass at the end of their post. It’s neat you handled yourself perfectly your whole life. Some of us need the hard lessons.

I went and didn’t hear a peep out of anyone before during or after.

I’m going to Wisconsin in a few weeks. I’m expecting a different experience.
Wisconsin was one of my better experiences at a road game. It always differs due to location and people you are with though.

When that stuffs happens to me at away stadiums and Iowa is winning, I just say scoreboard and keep walking. That typically ends the interaction. Your son is young and wants to defend being an Iowa fan. No need to do so, just keep moving away from the aholes.

Pig humpers and hillbillies and smoothbrains are all you'll find in Ames.

It is one of the shittiest college towns in America.

Only away game I had a similar experience is Tucson. I've gone to A LOT of away games. I know how to act / react. Ames and Tucson are the only two completely unprovoked nastiness I've ever received. Phuck yo school. Phuck yo town. Phuck yo team.

My daughter went with an Iowa shirt on and it went perfectly fine.

Sat in some of the best seats available surrounded by ISU fans.

I’m sure she drank a little as well, just wasn’t a dbag.
Great for your daughter. As for the other replies in this thread. I never said he did nothing. And I’m harder on him than anybody. If we are at a point where a paying ticket gets tossed from the stadium for a short back and forth with the home fans probably should shut it down.

Only away game I had a similar experience is Tucson. I've gone to A LOT of away games. I know how to act / react. Ames and Tucson are the only two completely unprovoked nastiness I've ever received. Phuck yo school. Phuck yo town. Phuck yo team.
Agreed. Tucson was bad.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yeah I used this as a teaching moment.
Kind of hypocritical for you to talk about letting trivial shit go while feeling it necessary to tell someone their kid is a jackass at the end of their post. It’s neat you handled yourself perfectly your whole life. Some of us need the hard lessons.
Oh I've been a jackass in my life, and I owned up to it. I'm sure everyone has at some point.

As you can see in the responses in this thread, most people seem to agree with me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT