ADVERTISEMENT

My HOA cancelled Halloween!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
My homeowner's association sent an email that said trick-or-treating is banned in our neighborhood due to the Covid.

They have absolutely ZERO authority under the covenants and restrictions to do this, of course.

I'm going to hand out candy with a map to all the board members' homes in the hopes that the kids play lots of tricks in response to this outrage.

My homeowner's association sent an email that said trick-or-treating is banned in our neighborhood due to the Covid.

They have absolutely ZERO authority under the covenants and restrictions to do this, of course.

I'm going to hand out candy with a map of all the board members' homes in the hopes that the kids play lots of tricks in response to this outrage.

Good for you! Stand up to this!

I’m just surprised he isn’t one of the board members. He would totally get off measuring lawn height and approving mailbox styles.

giphy.gif

Why would they do this. I suppose the only threat is kids will touch the wrapping of candy that someone else has touched

Why would they do this. I suppose the only threat is kids will touch the wrapping of candy that someone else has touched

We're not allowed to have garage sales except on two HOA-designated Saturdays per year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

The fall community garage sale was "cancelled" due to covid, too.

My question is did the city cancel trick or treating? Where I live most cities has canceled it. The town I live in it's still a go.

I'm not sure how anyone can cancel people going door to door getting treats. How would that be enforced? We still have the first amendment. People will be masked.😉

Everyone can calm down. When Trad uses the term HOA, he's really referring to the nurses station at the mental health facility he lives at.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

I'm going to hand out candy with a map to all the board members' homes in the hopes that the kids play lots of tricks in response to this outrage.
You are correct, they have zero authority. Only your local city or municipal authorities can declare a state of emergency, but the State has re-opened, so tough shitskies.
If you have a Management company they're giving your Board very bad advice.

Reactions: TJHall1
We're not allowed to have garage sales except on two HOA-designated Saturdays per year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

The fall community garage sale was "cancelled" due to covid, too.
That's pretty common, especially if your HOA is gated. The board is within their authority to limit those.

Speaking of HOA's, is it common to have a rule in place that vehicles have to be in the garage and not sitting out in the driveway?

Speaking of HOA's, is it common to have a rule in place that vehicles have to be in the garage and not sitting out in the driveway?

Not in the driveway overnight is probably rare but not unheard of. Not in the street overnight is fairly common.

Reactions: goldmom
We had our community garage sale - we just had everyone setup in their driveways. Halloween was not cancelled by the town, nor should it have been; so it's not cancelled in our neighborhood.

But I'm on the board, and Mrs Radley is chair of the social committee, so we have some influence. You should run for a position in the board.

Haven't made it up that socioeconomic ladder yet? Keep trying. 😐

Living in a neighborhood with an HOA is an aspirational thing?

Only time I have lived in an HOA neighborhood was when the wife and I were just out of college working entry level jobs.

Living in a neighborhood with an HOA is an aspirational thing?

Only time I have lived in an HOA neighborhood was when the wife and I were just out of college working entry level jobs.

I think a lot of people like knowing a certain standard is going to be maintained. It seems money does not guarantee that your neighbors won't park their RV in their driveway or build a beer garden in their backyard.

I'm fairly agnostic about them, but I understand the appeal. I also understand the hatred. Because I would like to build a beer garden in my backyard!

I think a lot of people like knowing a certain standard is going to be maintained. It seems money does not guarantee that your neighbors won't park their RV in their driveway or build a beer garden in their backyard.

I'm fairly agnostic about them, but I understand the appeal. I also understand the hatred. Because I would like to build a beer garden in my backyard!

We just decided to live where we control enough of our surroundings to avoid other people.

We just decided to live where we control enough of our surroundings to avoid other people.

Some people are more social. We like having neighbors you can chat to, who we can walk over to borrow a cup of sugar or ask to let our dog out of we are going to be out for a few hours. We like having friends within walking distance so we can gather for happy hour on someone's patio sour of the moment. We like having a pool a hundred years away flatbed can enjoy without having to maintain. We like block parties.

It's just a matter of individual preference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT