ADVERTISEMENT

My HOA cancelled Halloween!

My homeowner's association sent an email that said trick-or-treating is banned in our neighborhood due to the Covid.

They have absolutely ZERO authority under the covenants and restrictions to do this, of course.

I'm going to hand out candy with a map to all the board members' homes in the hopes that the kids play lots of tricks in response to this outrage.
Does the HOA own the public spaces and/or exteriors of the “manors” in which you live?

• Haha
Reactions: RunRonnieRun
I think a lot of people like knowing a certain standard is going to be maintained. It seems money does not guarantee that your neighbors won't park their RV in their driveway or build a beer garden in their backyard.

I'm fairly agnostic about them, but I understand the appeal. I also understand the hatred. Because I would like to build a beer garden in my backyard!

What the hell is wrong with a backyard beer garden?

Some people are more social. We like having neighbors you can chat to, who we can walk over to borrow a cup of sugar or ask to let our dog out of we are going to be out for a few hours. We like having friends within walking distance so we can gather for happy hour on someone's patio sour of the moment. We like having a pool a hundred years away flatbed can enjoy without having to maintain. We like block parties.

It's just a matter of individual preference.

Admittedly my dream is to own a mile square and just invite the 3 people I like to live there.

Speaking of HOA's, is it common to have a rule in place that vehicles have to be in the garage and not sitting out in the driveway?
Yes. And our HOA does not allow company vehicles like work vans to be parked in the street if they have company logos.

Reactions: goldmom
What the hell is wrong with a backyard beer garden?

Nothing as far as I'm concerned. But I doubt we could get one to pass the HOA. I guess it depends upon how it was designed. Our standards are that the architecture has to conform to "community standards", so the relatively casual design of most beer gardens wouldn't pass those standards.

But I hadn't given much thought to it before. I suppose I could probably design one that could pass...

Nothing as far as I'm concerned. But I doubt we could get one to pass the HOA. I guess it depends upon how it was designed. Our standards are that the architecture has to conform to "community standards", so the relatively casual design of most beer gardens wouldn't pass those standards.

But I hadn't given much thought to it before. I suppose I could probably design one that could pass...

I don't understand how it's any of their business unless you can see it from the street.

I don't understand how it's any of their business unless you can see it from the street.

It's pretty common. For instance, in our last community you could have a shed in the backyard but it had to match the construction of the house - down to the siding and roof shingles. Which was surprising because these were huge lots with tons of pine trees in between houses so you were very private. In our current community you can't even have a shed. Both are very common rules.

We have restrictions on deck material and colors, patio materials, etc.

I've never even heard of a home beer garden before. How it different than a deck/patio with seating?

It's pretty common. For instance, in our last community you could have a shed in the backyard but it had to match the construction of the house - down to the siding and roof shingles. Which was surprising because these were huge lots with tons of pine trees in between houses so you were very private. In our current community you can't even have a shed. Both are very common rules.

We have restrictions on deck material and colors, patio materials, etc.
Dang. Glad I don't live where you do. Don't tread on me!

We're not allowed to have garage sales except on two HOA-designated Saturdays per year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

The fall community garage sale was "cancelled" due to covid, too.
Probably a good thing. You seem like the type that would have a perpetual garage sale as a side hustle ;)

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Dang. Glad I don't live where you do. Don't tread on me!

On the other hand, we have a trash family with a house on a corner lot near the entrance of the community; so when you enter you see their backyard on your left (no fence.) When they first moved in they had a stack of tires in the back yard, which the HOA was able to make them remove.

Now they just put together a "deck" that consists of about ten wood pallets pieced together. Which we are in the process of making them remove, because JFC stop being trash!

I've never even heard of a home beer garden before. How it different than a deck/patio with seating?

Basically it's a deck/patio with string lights, casual seating, casual decor, some yard games, etc.; that you refer to as a "beer garden" instead of "my backyard."

Reactions: Tenacious E
Basically it's a deck/patio with string lights, casual seating, casual decor, some yard games, etc.; that you refer to as a "beer garden" instead of "my backyard."
From that pic you posted in a thread with your blackstone built into something, it looked like you already had something along those lines... In any event, a project like that enhances the home aesthetic in my opinion and should be encouraged.

In my city, it's impossible to live in a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA, unless you're out in the country or live in the historic downtown (which has its own set of rules).

Luckily, our HOA isn't overbearing and is reasonably priced ($300 a year or so).

From that pic you posted in a thread with your blackstone built into something, it looked like you already had something along those lines... In any event, a project like that enhances the home aesthetic in my opinion and should be encouraged.

Making an island out of reclaimed wood would not be allowed. However, I was able to make an island out of porcelain tile that looks like reclaimed wood. The irony of that fact was part of why I chose that material rather than the more conventional ledger stone.

Making an island out of reclaimed wood would not be allowed. However, I was able to make an island out of porcelain tile that looks like reclaimed wood. The irony of that fact was part of why I chose that material rather than the more conventional ledger stone.

That kind of crap would almost make me want to run for the board to clean freaking house.

They should not be able to dictate what you do with your backyard unless it's visible from the street or there's some other nuisance (like raising livestock or growing marijuana).

That kind of crap would almost make me want to run for the board to clean freaking house.

They should not be able to dictate what you do with your backyard unless it's visible from the street or there's some other nuisance (like raising livestock or growing marijuana).

At least we didn’t cancel Halloween!

sweetheart, your husband would have had to play in the NFL way more recently for you to afford my neighborhood.
Sweetie, you have no idea, do you? I lived in one of those neighborhoods thirty years ago, in a home that cost more then than what most can afford now.
Been there and done that.

tumblr_psefchKQI71s9a9yjo1_500.gif
Dumb ass weighs in. SPN scores 10+ on the bitter numb nuts scale. Good to know you rate on something. Don't you have some filing to do in your state job?

Living in a neighborhood with an HOA is an aspirational thing?

Only time I have lived in an HOA neighborhood was when the wife and I were just out of college working entry level jobs.
Well, even renters gotta start somewhere.
Actually, it's a very common thing in Sunbelt states to live in communities that have an HOA.

Well, even renters gotta start somewhere.
Actually, it's a very common thing in Sunbelt states to live in communities that have an HOA.

It's nearly impossible to buy a home in a "neighborhood" that doesn't have an HOA in most Florida towns. You almost have to get out of town and buy acreage to avoid that crap.

Admittedly my dream is to own a mile square and just invite the 3 people I like to live there.
There's nothing wrong with that! In fact I might agree with you. I always dreamed of having one of those big log homes with lots of land and a spectacular view of mountains, with no neighbors within at least a mile. This is why I buy a Powerball ticket when it hits a certain level. 😂
It's just when people make their buying decision and knowingly purchase in an HOA in Florida, the sales contract in our state has a section the buyer must initial indicating that they know they're buying in an HOA and agree to abide by the C&R's. So then don't move in and put your RV in the driveway or mow your lawn every 3 months. It's a choice and no one forces you to buy there. Buy an acre and live there and do what you want. Doesn't make you a weirdo!

My personal favorites are PUDs where the HOAs existence is questioned by the residents because the HOAs exist only kind of sort of as a threat and no one actively manages the entities and it's difficult to produce paperwork to support anything regarding the HOAs which appear to exist only in the legal descriptions attached to deeds.

It's nearly impossible to buy a home in a "neighborhood" that doesn't have an HOA in most Florida towns. You almost have to get out of town and buy acreage to avoid that crap.
Or older neighborhoods developed in the 50's. You're from Jax, so you'd know the San Jose area would be an example of that.

Sweetie, you have no idea, do you? I lived in one of those neighborhoods thirty years ago, in a home that cost more then than what most can afford now.
Been there and done that.

Lovebug, I’ve got all KINDS of ideas.

Many HOA's have a rule of thumb that if you're doing anything to your exterior that requires a building permit, regardless of it being in view, you need an approval from the HOA. Pools are an obvious example.

ADVERTISEMENT