ADVERTISEMENT

My Iowa Wrestling Recruiting Wish List Podcast & Blog

My point is that Eggum isn't the guy that makes Minnesota relevant again. He's in over his head.

My point is that Eggum isn't the guy that makes Minnesota relevant again. He's in over his head.

He's in over his head based on.....

1.) A top 3 recruiting class from all publications for 2018, his first class since the interim tag was removed.
2.) getting a 2.6 million donation (from 2 people) for a new wrestling room and office space.
3.) Getting 2 experienced transfers this year(Russel, Skatzka) that are both likely starters.
4.) Getting a transfer and a flip last year (Bleise, Allar) that are both projected starters.
5.) Team had the highest collective GPA (3.09) in school history last year.
6.) Getting a full time MN RTC coach (Dustin Schlatter) for the first time.

Yeah, you're right, can't believe he still has a job. Keep on letting the hatred consume you.

1.) A top 3 recruiting class from all publications for 2018, his first class since the interim tag was removed.
2.) getting a 2.6 million donation (from 2 people) for a new wrestling room and office space.
3.) Getting 2 experienced transfers this year(Russel, Skatzka) that are both likely starters.
4.) Getting a transfer and a flip last year (Bleise, Allar) that are both projected starters.

Yeah, you're right, can't believe he still has a job. Keep on letting the hatred consume you.

I’m a die hard Hawk fan but this was a pretty good argument BUT at the end of the day it’s all about AA’s & national champs. Definitely a good start from the gophers.

Eustices were great but the Gophers had the Schlatters. Falck was a stud but the Gophers had Ness. Like I said, the Gophers have had an answer for anyone leaving the state for Iowa. I think the same will be said for Glazier, Cashman, and Sokol if he decides to go there. Personally, I think 2x state champs, Charlie Pickell and Reid Ballantyne will be better recruits out of Minnesota than Sokol.

I get your shtick of hating everything Gophers and Iowa St. just thought I’d give my two cents worth.

Who was Eggum's answer to Hall, Berge, Stoll, Gross and now Kennedy?

Who was Eggum's answer to Hall, Berge, Stoll, Gross and now Kennedy?

Hall....there is no answer. He would be a 4 year starter at one or the other 165/174 for any team in the country.
Berge......Would have loved to get him, but remember Stroker and Early were both on the team and 149/157. I have no idea if this played into his decision.
Stoll...…..3x AA Kroells was I think the last person to beat Stoll in high school. These 2 had very similar college careers, so a wash.
Gross......tried to get into Minnesota after the trouble in Iowa but the AD (who was later fired) wouldn't approve his admission.
Kennedy...….would be a nice get for sure, but still have a couple years to recruit 174/184.

Last edited:

6.) Getting a full time MN RTC coach (Dustin Schlatter) for the first time.

As stated... it's about results. Did Eggum get a trophy or something for that top 3 recruiting class last year. I must have missed that. And the reason for the two transfers is that the existing lineup was so piss poor that they were guaranteed to be starters. Not sure how that's something to brag about. I believe we refer to that as "grasping at straws".

Oh, and one more thing... are Gopher fans still using the excuse that Thorn was injured last year or the HEW?

But you are entertaining me in the off season. Work harder.

As stated... it's about results. Did Eggum get a trophy or something for that top 3 recruiting class last year. I must have missed that. And the reason for the two transfers is that the existing lineup was so piss poor that they were guaranteed to be starters. Not sure how that's something to brag about. I believe we refer to that as "grasping at straws".

Oh, and one more thing... are Gopher fans still using the excuse that Thorn was injured last year or the HEW?

But you are entertaining me in the off season. Work harder.

No more bragging about landing transfers Lugo, Renteria, Desanto or Downey for a minute. Or recruits or recruiting classes. Mitch says so.

Reactions: MNRodent
No more bragging about landing transfers Lugo, Renteria, Desanto or Downey for a minute. Or recruits or recruiting classes. Mitch says so.
Looks like Rodent has a wing man.:p Couple of things. Last year's Gopher recruiting class was the highest rated since the Stroker/Early class. How'd that turn out? Regarding the transfer comment... Lugo is replacing a 4x AA. Not exactly a good comparison. Renteria has to beat a highly regarded Murin... no sure thing for Renteria if he's going 141. I'll give you the DeSanto point. Downey never saw the mat.

And since I read the Gopher forum, but don't post, I'll answer a question that was asked regarding if the Gophs have ever "poached" from Iowa high schools like Brands is pillaging the State of Minnesota. Stroker was mentioned even though he was a vagabond. Not really a native. Brands had to choose between Kem or Stroker. Nuf said. I believe the answer is Mack Reiter. But I don't think he ever beat a Hawkeye during his Gopher career. And I sure remember the beatings he took against some Hawkeye wrestlers.

Anyone got a Cyclone question? I'm killing it here.

Reactions: MERCERJ
Eustices were great but the Gophers had the Schlatters. Falck was a stud but the Gophers had Ness. Like I said, the Gophers have had an answer for anyone leaving the state for Iowa. I think the same will be said for Glazier, Cashman, and Sokol if he decides to go there. Personally, I think 2x state champs, Charlie Pickell and Reid Ballantyne will be better recruits out of Minnesota than Sokol.

I get your shtick of hating everything Gophers and Iowa St. just thought I’d give my two cents worth.
Didn’t realize one of the Schlatter’s wrestled 125?

Living in Colorado for a while, I did start to notice an increase in wrestling talent and interest. The current FLO HS rankings has several CO guys on the list-surprised the heck out of me. I would like to see Iowa attempt to get some of the higher ranked kids from the state. There is no allegiance to in state teams and also there is no elite program closer to Colorado (OSU is about the same I would think). The Iowa fan base is pretty impressive too. We got the Wilson kid, who is solid but there were atleast 2 kids in the top 20 p4p from CO.....

Living in Colorado for a while, I did start to notice an increase in wrestling talent and interest. The current FLO HS rankings has several CO guys on the list-surprised the heck out of me. I would like to see Iowa attempt to get some of the higher ranked kids from the state. There is no allegiance to in state teams and also there is no elite program closer to Colorado (OSU is about the same I would think). The Iowa fan base is pretty impressive too. We got the Wilson kid, who is solid but there were atleast 2 kids in the top 20 p4p from CO.....

Colorado is criminally under-recruited.

Colorado is criminally under-recruited.
I bet if we offer a kid there are some fans that would go watch him around here. I no longer live in CO, but I have some Iowa fans out there that are going to a few of the QB's games that committed from the Denver area. When I lived there, not a day went by that if I were to wear Iowa gear somebody would say to me "Go Hawks".....maybe TnT can wonder out here with M* and snag up some top 20 P4P guys. I would think distance alone would give a nod over the real only top 2 contenders in tOSU and PSU. I think right now Iowa is as close to PSU as we have been in a while and if I had to do power rankings for this year and moving forward I would say:
1) PSU
2) Iowa
3) tOSU
4) OSU

and then you could put about 5-8 teams in the next slots

Reactions: MitchL
Schultz goes to a rival HS as my kids.. I've gone to a few of the matches wearing Iowa gear to watch him.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
I believe the answer is Mack Reiter.

You didn't answer that question, Clown. You snuck over and saw I wrote it yesterday. And Mack finished ahead of the Hawkeyes 3 of his 4 years at NCAA's.

There is no doubt, the U of M had some problems a few years ago, but everything Eggum has done since be named hc is moving them forward.

You didn't answer that question, Clown. You snuck over and saw I wrote it yesterday. And Mack finished ahead of the Hawkeyes 3 of his 4 years at NCAA's.

There is no doubt, the U of M had some problems a few years ago, but everything Eggum has done since be named hc is moving them forward.
You mad, bro?

And it looks like both of us are happy Eggum is coaching in Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT