ADVERTISEMENT

My Lottery Dream Home: Grimes

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
So, the premise of this show is people go to some semi celebrity real estate guy after winning the lottery? Why is this couple all jacked to buy a house in Grimes, IA? Who watches this s***?

I kinda enjoy the show. The trashy people who win $300,000 and think they're set for life are the best.
Oh, I totally don't watch the shows, but, as an in general comment, it's hilarious when they act all confused when they list off a bunch of stuff they MUST HAVE, then see the cost. Or, the second home shows where they are utterly unrealistic about it MUST HAVE direct beach access, and be cheap.

Back to Grimes, the house they picked was farmland a few years ago. Just a scraped clean sub-division with cookie cutter houses, and no trees over 15 feet tall. Way to dream big, folks.

So, the premise of this show is people go to some semi celebrity real estate guy after winning the lottery? Why is this couple all jacked to buy a house in Grimes, IA? Who watches this s***?
My bride is a pretty reasonable women....who LOVES this show! God knows why but she digs this type of crap.
I figure that's why we have an upstairs and a downstairs and 4 TVs.....

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Back to Grimes, the house they picked was farmland a few years ago. Just a scraped clean sub-division with cookie cutter houses, and no trees over 15 feet tall. Way to dream big, folks.

Used to be a pain in the rear getting in and out of Grimes at rush hour when my brother and SIL lived there. They've expanded the roads in and out of town, but Grimes has exploded since I moved to DSM in 2012. My HS football coach put on a summer paid football camp there (or maybe Dallas Center?? wherever the HS campus was) I attended once in the mid 00s and I would not have considered it part of the metro area at that time. It was a larger small town with people driving Pontiacs and S10s and dressing like they did not expect to meet anyone new. It's not a super affluent suburb now, but it is the complete suburban experience and it is appealing to people who move to the area from small town Iowa for work in the DSM metro but wanna avoid the east and south sides (more east and south side for me, so it's all cool).

Used to be a pain in the rear getting in and out of Grimes at rush hour when my brother and SIL lived there. They've expanded the roads in and out of town, but Grimes has exploded since I moved to DSM in 2012. My HS football coach put on a summer paid football camp there (or maybe Dallas Center?? wherever the HS campus was) I attended once in the mid 00s and I would not have considered it part of the metro area at that time. It was a larger small town with people driving Pontiacs and S10s and dressing like they did not expect to meet anyone new. It's not a super affluent suburb now, but it is the complete suburban experience and it is appealing to people who move to the area from small town Iowa for work in the DSM metro but wanna avoid the east and south sides (more east and south side for me, so it's all cool).
The HS is about 5=6 miles west of Grimes. #141 is a damn mess about 15 hours a day.....#44 has too much traffic for how it is built...and when they make it "multi-laned" that is gonna be a mess! But, its growing and not much anything folks can do to stop it now....On the good side...at least there seems to be a plan for their growth.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
I've always admired the house from Christmas in Connecticut.

The HS is about 5=6 miles west of Grimes. #141 is a damn mess about 15 hours a day.....#44 has too much traffic for how it is built...and when they make it "multi-laned" that is gonna be a mess! But, its growing and not much anything folks can do to stop it now....On the good side...at least there seems to be a plan for their growth.

The high school is right on the west edge of town. Approximately 1/2 mile out.

Grimes is a nice community. Both residential and business growth is exploding. They will be in the largest class of sports in 5-10 more years.

I have watched this show. The people that have won some money are just trying to improve their lives. I don’t stay with every episode clear to the end but I guess I find it entertaining.
The host sure has some wild tattoos.

Sorry, I was thinking about the other Grimes.

16509602949501.jpg

46385985-9870601-image-a-17_1628293391794.jpg

Grimes-hot-pic.jpeg

Seems like this one is way better!

I have watched this show. The people that have won some money are just trying to improve their lives. I don’t stay with every episode clear to the end but I guess I find it entertaining.
The host sure has some wild tattoos.
And unique clothing choices, but he's kind of funny.

The high school is right on the west edge of town. Approximately 1/2 mile out.

Grimes is a nice community. Both residential and business growth is exploding. They will be in the largest class of sports in 5-10 more years.
Already are in boys basketball. But yes Grimes has done well and will continue to explode. Still hate 141 though.

Some people are frugal or don’t need/want a lot. A guy I play poker with drives a Subaru Outback, has a decent house, but nothing big or flashy, and wife (no pic) drives an Odyssey…. He’s been an anesthesiologist for going on 15 years now.
Now he’s Mormon (only the one wife kind) so maybe that has something to do with it. He can’t play poker on Sunday.
TV shows about non flashy people are boring.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
And unique clothing choices, but he's kind of funny.
A couple of thenMILFs at the gym love him. Apparently there are a lot of shirtless pictures of him on the internet. One of the ladies said she is trying to get some temporary tattoos to put on her husband to spice things up a little. He actually does look a lot like the host.
That he plays for Team Ghey doesn’t matter to the ladies.

• Love
Reactions: FranMcNepotism
Already are in boys basketball. But yes Grimes has done well and will continue to explode. Still hate 141 though.

That's crazy. #48

Look at the difference in the BEDS enrollment.

4A: Largest 48 schools.

Valley, WDM4A2271

Dallas Center-Grimes4A738

I had to look up where Grimes is (lovely town name btw) and see a fair share of homes over $600k in a suburb of Des Moines, of all places. I couldn't imagine playing keeping up with the jones' in central iowa. What's the draw? An advanced diabeetus center?

I had to look up where Grimes is (lovely town name btw) and see a fair share of homes over $600k in a suburb of Des Moines, of all places. I couldn't imagine playing keeping up with the jones' in central iowa. What's the draw? An advanced diabeetus center?

We're not much of an agrarian state anymore and haven't been for a long time and most of the new jobs in Iowa are in Des Moines. Pretty much all the suburbs are getting like that with home prices. It's not like homes are getting cheaper in more exciting cities. People who relocate from other states to Des Moines for work often think of it as a bargain.

• Haha
We're not much of an agrarian state anymore and haven't been for a long time and most of the new jobs in Iowa are in Des Moines. Pretty much all the suburbs are getting like that with home prices. It's not like homes are getting cheaper in more exciting cities. People who relocate from other states to Des Moines for work often think of it as a bargain.

It's relative, Iowa is an agrarian state. If the suburbs are what you're looking for with a white collar job market, there are much better options from a career perspective if you're looking to spend $600k on a house

Reactions: TunzaHawk
No black people.

• Angry
Grimes is so named after an early Iowa Governor/US Senator....there is a state office building named after him too...
50 years ago when I moved to DSM, Grimes was a quiet little Iowa Farm town outside of DSM about 15 miles...Now it is on the reaches of urban sprawl and experiencing a building boom (Iowa style)...newer (single dwelling) homes in Iowa run $300k and upwards...the $600k homes you saw are probably more rural settings with lots of property unless they are large sq. Ft. Homes...and remember, homes here in Iowa have basements and are not built on slabs, for the most part. Plus a lot of the “new” construction has been added since Covid and inflated construction Costs are the role of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT